RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:46:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Downloadable Games Architecture 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Downloadable Games Architecture  (Read 6258 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 06:34:48 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the field Media Format already have something along the lines of download  as a selection?

Tan
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 11:27:07 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the field Media Format already have something along the lines of download  as a selection?

Yes but that is intended only as a temporary solution for those downloadable games we have in the current sections that will be copied over. The most important part of planning something like this isn't making it suit our needs, but looking to the future and suiting needs we may not even have yet so the scripts and databases don't need massive recoding, testing and learning curves.

For example, let's say "Game A" was sold through Steam, the publisher's website and through a downloadable kiosk onto a flash card. Instead of having to list it as trivia or making 2 variations, we could simply select all three from a dropdown list like we are choosing ratings descriptors.

Like This:

Steam
Windows Live
Nintendo Virtual Console
Gametap
Fileplanet
Publisher website
In-store Kiosk
Playstation Store
Xbox Live

Having a mix of specific services and generic ones should cover all the bases without making the list overly long. Just one of many ideas but you see the potential here for how much more detailed the digital database could be. Smiley
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »

Ah I see. It's a good idea having it as a selectable field for the mean time.

Since we are now adding downloaded games to the database does that mean mobile (cell phone) and iPod games are also going to be added too?

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »

Since we are now adding downloaded games to the database does that mean mobile (cell phone) and iPod games are also going to be added too?
Why did you have to go and open up that box? Wink

I say no to mobile phones at least. I'm a little more willing to accept iPod games, however.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2008, 03:28:12 PM »

Cell Phone Games Make Baby Jesus Cry

Hello World.
Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »

Except Ratchet and Clank: Going Mobile. The only cell phone game I've ever bought.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 05:26:09 AM »

I know that vast majority of mobile games are under 1MB, play awfully thanks to having to use a number-pad and are well.... terrible. But there are a couple of good ones out there.... but that is also debatable with the same game being different on different phones. I'll never bring it up again if no one else does. I still wanna try the mobile Guitar Hero though.

iPhone games will be a must.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 03:06:41 PM »

I'm starting to add VC/Wii Ware titles, but I've got a question about the VC games, for Year, should we put the release date it was originally released (like it lists on the details page of the VC channel) or the year it was released on the VC?

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 07:20:24 PM »

I'm starting to add VC/Wii Ware titles, but I've got a question about the VC games, for Year, should we put the release date it was orignally released (like it lists on the details page of the VC channel) or the year it was released on the VC?
The year it came out on the VC. Also be sure to add the original release as a related game for easy reference on both the Virtual Console and original release pages.

Also, thank you SO MUCH for doing this! We really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:23:48 PM by Tondog » Logged

Follow me on Twitter
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »

I'm starting to add VC/Wii Ware titles, but I've got a question about the VC games, for Year, should we put the release date it was orignally released (like it lists on the details page of the VC channel) or the year it was released on the VC?
The year it came out on the VC. Also be sure to add the original release as a related game for easy reference on both the Virtual Console and original release pages.

OK, finding the year it was released on VC will require a little digging, but I'm up to it.
I'll get everything in the database and go back and add related games later, I messed up a good portion of the NES VC control schemes so I'll have to edit them anyway.

I was actually surprised to see how lacking this category was, there was only like 30 titles in there before I got started. So far I finished all Wii Ware titles, all NES VC titles, and am almost done with the SNES. Should be able to finish it up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 07:33:56 PM by NES_Rules » Logged

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 07:39:50 PM »

OK, finding the year it was released on VC will require a little digging, but I'm up to it.
This might prove useful for you:

http://www.vc-reviews.com/games
http://www.wiiware-world.com/

Follow me on Twitter
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »

After working with the Virtual Console and Wii Ware, I've got some suggestions now. I have no experience with Sony or Microsoft's service, so these suggestions are directed toward the Virtual Console and Wii Ware only.

1) Split the Virtual Console and Wii Ware, it's quite confusing having them the same.
2) Have two categories for year; one for original release and the other for the VC release.
3) Get rid of Part # for VC, but keep it for Wii Ware because they do have part numbers.
4) Get rid of UPC.
5) Maybe change the control scheme to be a list like the game rating; include: Wii Remote, Wii Remote & Nunchuk, Classic Controller, Gamecube Controller.
6) Change Media Format to download size.
7) Add a category to describe what console the game was originally released for.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length