RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:32:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Rarest find (In the wild) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Print
Author Topic: Rarest find (In the wild)  (Read 102969 times)
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #165 on: November 04, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

Radiant Silvergun (complete) $4

That, right there, is the score of a lifetime.

I don't own that many "rare" games, and most of the ones I do I either picked up as new releases, or bought used before they became known as rare.  Probably my best rare item score is the unlicensed Genesis shmup "Earth Defense" (or "The Earth Defend" if you believe the manual or title screen).  I snagged a CIB copy for something like $5 or $6 about 12 years ago.  I've never seen a copy in the wild since.  Second to that might be a CIB longbox copy of Raiden Project for PS1.  I paid $10 for it, if memory serves.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »

My rarest find that I picked up is either:

Boxed, mostly complete Power Glove at a garage sale for $3

or

Tengen Tetris, picked up at my local game shop for about market price.

Edit:

RarityGuide.com says that my actual rarest find in the wild is Mega Man 5, picked up from my friend at his yard/moving sale.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 06:32:04 PM by Ikariniku » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »

*facepalm* PLEASE don't use RarityGuide.com for a reference for anything. It's terrible, and their attempt at pricing is laughable.

If anything, please use reputable sites like Digit Press or NintendoAge. Digit Press says Tengen Tetris is rarer than Mega Man 5, but that may have been based on older findings. NintendoAge says they're about the same.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2014, 06:35:52 PM »

Rarity Guide is not really a good guide to rarity. Tengen Tetris is much harder to find than Mega Man V.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »

Rarity Guide is not really a good guide to rarity. Tengen Tetris is much harder to find than Mega Man V.

When I first began collecting, I too fell victim to the absurdity disguised as expertise of rarityguide.com. Then I found pricecharting.com and realized that RG hadn't been updated since the Clinton administration.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »

Even pricecharting can be way off sometimes, but I often still reference it in conjunction with other sites. Your best indicator of price IMO is looking up "sold" listings on eBay and taking an average of those sales. This often shows how much people are willing to pay for an item.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Ack
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »

The rarest I have found in the wild is probably Super Turrican 2, though the rarest I own is likely Clayfighter: Sculptor's Cut.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »

I consider auctions to be a better indicator than a BIN, even though I do BIN myself. The auctions give you a good idea of where a fixed price listing should be to get a better deal. Also most pricing sites never take condition into consideration.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2014, 04:35:16 PM »

i usually check price charting first and then compare with ebay sold listings. rarely do i notice a huge difference in price between them, but pricecharting does seem to not quite catch all the copies that sold sometimes which can skew the price a bit. for the most part though it's fairly reliable.

one thing important to know with price charting is that you can look at the list of what auctions they use to get their actual average when you click to the actual game page. i almost never just take the average number they give me, i usually look at their sources too because sometimes the site glitches and only shows the most recent sale when there were quite a few others before it. plus you need to click on each one to get the CIB prices anyway, the main lists only show loose and sealed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:37:15 PM by techwizard » Logged
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2014, 05:31:42 PM »

I consider auctions to be a better indicator than a BIN, even though I do BIN myself. The auctions give you a good idea of where a fixed price listing should be to get a better deal. Also most pricing sites never take condition into consideration.

I disagree. Auctions are too heavily influenced by time and opportunity. BINs especially ones with Best Offer allow people to take the time to think or budget and negotiate with the seller. I think that offers a much better idea of anything that could be considered a "true" value of an item.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2014, 05:38:16 PM »

The problem with Best offers is that you can't actually see what the offer was. It just says 'Best Offer Accepted'. To the price sites it'll still list it as a $50 item even if the best offer that was accepted was $30. The auction game is better spent on more expensive games, and its what I've been watching for some games on my Saturn list.

I'll see Shining Wisdom auctions selling for less than $80, almost every one of them, but every BIN is close to or north of $100 and because of the auction prices people rarely bite.

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2014, 06:16:40 PM »

UPDATE: Armed with new knowledge, my rarest game owned/seen is Maxi-15.  I may have seen something more rare in Digital Press' museum cases, but I can't remember specifics.

*facepalm* PLEASE don't use RarityGuide.com for a reference for anything. It's terrible, and their attempt at pricing is laughable.

If anything, please use reputable sites like Digit Press or NintendoAge. Digit Press says Tengen Tetris is rarer than Mega Man 5, but that may have been based on older findings. NintendoAge says they're about the same.

Well, NOW I know. Rarity is hard to nail down definitively, and I was looking for any sort of touchstone with which to make my judgment.  My initial picks were based on current market price, while Rarity Guide reminded me that I had found Mega Man 5 in the wild, as well.  However, even were I just to use my metric of price, determined by Price Charting, the current Price Charting value on Tengen Tetris is below $40!  Zen: Intergalactic Ninja, Baby Boomer, Tagin' Dragon, Death Race, Mega Man, Maxi-15, and Mega Man 5 all outstrip it in price, and all of these I've seen in the wild.  I purchased every one except Tagin' Dragon, and every one of them was seen at my local game shop except Mega Man 1 & 5, which I bought from my friend.

In my own experience, this has not proven to be true.  I've only seen Mega Man 5 once in the wild, at my friend's yard sale.  Yet, I've seen Tengen Tetris both at my local game shop and at Digital Press.  Now, sure, anecdotal evidence is to be taken with a grain of salt, but my own experience would lead me to believe Mega Man 5 (and Maxi-15) are more rare than Tengen Tetris.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 06:25:25 PM by Ikariniku » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2014, 04:54:30 PM »

"rarity" is extremely different from city to city. the only things that are truly rare are confirmed cases of low print runs. anything else is just uncommon in my opinion.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #178 on: November 12, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »

"rarity" is extremely different from city to city. the only things that are truly rare are confirmed cases of low print runs. anything else is just uncommon in my opinion.

"Rarity" = Finding 4 copies of Snow Brothers and Cheetahmen II each within a year, yet only finding 1 copy of World Champ. My area is weird...

Ack
Sega 32X
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2014, 05:13:33 PM »

"Rarity" = Finding 4 copies of Snow Brothers and Cheetahmen II each within a year, yet only finding 1 copy of World Champ. My area is weird...

What is your area?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length