RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:41:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | NES console variants? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NES console variants?  (Read 2035 times)
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »

I have heard that there are actually 4 or 5 different USA release NESes. One of which being a 'gold' nes. Does anyone have any info on the topic?

Tell me about your variants...
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »

I'm fairly sure that there are just different packaging variants, i.e. the Action Set, Power Set, etc.  The only console differences would be the toaster vs the top-loader model, and there seem to be two different textured toaster-NES releases, one with a sandy surface and the other with a smooth surface.  In Europe you have other game-specific sets such as a Turtles set and Smurfs set, but also no gold-NES release.  I've seen gold NES consoles before, but they've all been from aftermarket paintjobs. 

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »

I'm fairly sure that there are just different packaging variants, i.e. the Action Set, Power Set, etc.  The only console differences would be the toaster vs the top-loader model, and there seem to be two different textured toaster-NES releases, one with a sandy surface and the other with a smooth surface.  In Europe you have other game-specific sets such as a Turtles set and Smurfs set, but also no gold-NES release.  I've seen gold NES consoles before, but they've all been from aftermarket paintjobs. 

I agree. I've yet to read or witness any other variants, besides the one Speedy_NES mentioned.

Have you played Pitfall II today?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/atari_wizard.png[/img]
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »

I've noticed there are at least two very small variations. The difference being the number of screws holding down the RF shielding inside the machine. I think one has 5 screws, the other as 7.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:44:34 PM »

I removed my rf shield.  Grin

Also, I did the NES10 lockout chip disable mod.  Cool

Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 08:54:11 PM »

My NES doesn't even have a top RF shield.  I have no clue why, though.

Of course, I don't have any screws to hold the top on, either.  That's how it was when I bought it off my friend...

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 01:04:36 AM »

could you tell me how to do that?

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 01:33:12 AM »

could you tell me how to do that?

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk.../nintendo/nes-lockout.htm
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 12:04:22 AM »

There are also videos on how to disable the NES10 on youtube. Just search 'disable lockout nes'

RegalSin
Banned

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 01:33:06 AM »

The disabling in basically you cliping one metal line. That is about it nothing more. Eitherway I don't think there is any game that is blocked by this. The real gold is

From what I know about variations.

1. There is NES consoles that have ports beneath them and some that have none. They might have the slot or plastic piece but there is nothing under it.

2. There is NES systems with minor changes in hardware but is all the same just diffrent parts.
NESman93
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 09:42:14 PM »

well nevermind now i done got it done. but now i may get a new 72 pin for it.

Now you're playing with power! Nintendo Power!

Consoles on my wishlist: Mega Drive (Japan), Genesis Model 1, Super Famicom, Famicom, SNES 2, NES 2, Neo Geo AES, 360, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, GameCube
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length