RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:02:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Poll - The Best Game - Panasonic 3DO 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: What was the Best 3DO game ever released?
Shock Wave: Beyond the Gate   -0 (0%)
Night Trap   -5 (31.3%)
Road Rash   -1 (6.3%)
Flashback: The Quest for Identity   -0 (0%)
Out of this World   -0 (0%)
Luciennce's Quest   -0 (0%)
Street Fighter II   -2 (12.5%)
Star Control 2   -2 (12.5%)
Wing Commander III: Heart of the Tiger   -2 (12.5%)
Other   -4 (25%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Poll - The Best Game - Panasonic 3DO  (Read 4783 times)
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »

Hello all.

I am a big 3DO fan - I was one of the shmo's that was there forking over the $700 for this console at it's release.  IMHO, there were a great deal of great deal of games released for this system.  Hopefully I caught the big ones here in this poll.  Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 03:35:30 PM by Marriott_Guy » Logged

Terry  |  Marriott_Guy

Video Game Console Library  |  http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:52 PM »

Night Trap, loved it on the Mega-CD & Mac, and it'll get my vote every time Cheesy

Darth Sidious
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:57:58 PM »

Hm...to tell you the truth, I think I was too young back then to even understand what the 3DO was - I was 9 years old when the 3DO hit the German market in 1995 (kinda late, huh? Same year as Saturn and PSX, too), and back then, all I was interested in were the Super Nintendo and Game Boy. I still have to get a 3DO someday, but it's kinda difficult to get a console complete with its box and manual in Europe.

As for your list, you definitely got the obvious choices Wing Commander III and Super Street Fighter II, even though I think there might be a handful of other games worth mentioning.

What about FIFA International Soccer, for example? The 3DO version received rave reviews in Europe for being a revolutionary step up from the 16-bit FIFA games graphically and in terms of gameplay. Some even considered it to be the best soccer game of that time, together with International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, dethroning Sensible Soccer.

Super Wing Commander isn't too bad, either, judging from what I've heard at least.

Gex received critical praise at least from some magazines as well, and it sure looks like the best platformer on the system.

Let's not forget Samurai Showdown, which, supposedly, was more faithful to the arcade and NeoGeo versions than the SNES and Genesis ports.

Then there's Need for Speed, perhaps. Probably not so great anymore, but noteworthy as the granddaddy of the series.

As a more obscure choice, why not Daedalus Encounter? An interactive movie with surprisingly ambitious production values and starring Tia Carrere  inlove.

Well, maybe as some sort of gag, why not make a poll for the worst 3DO game after this one? There are quite some nice choices, after all: Mazer, Kingdom: The Far Reaches, Sewer Shark, Strahl, Way of the Warrior or Virtuoso...and tons of low quality interactive movies.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:42:21 PM »

I had never even heard of the 3DO until I started collecting a few years ago. I only knew of Nintendo, Sega and Playstation growing up. I've managed to find a couple 3DO games since then though and have only played a few minutes of each. Of the ones you listed in your poll, I've only played Out of this World. It seemed like it could be a fun game, but I just couldn't get into it. I'll probably give it another go sometime though.
Of the other games I've played, the only other one I played for more than a minute was Gridders, it seemed fun but I couldn't really figure out the goal of the game so I quit after a few minutes. Another one I'll probably get back to at one point.

We've lost power in the forward Game Boy, Mario is not responding
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »

Night Trap because it's so bad it's great.

Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 09:01:15 PM »

I have yet to own a 3DO and the only games I've played on it are Street Fighter II and Night Trap. With that said, the mystique I get from the system are:
Star Fighter
Wolfenstein 3D
Stellar 7
Return Fire

Also Icebreaker seems like a promissing game to play as well. The others listed have either been played on another system or computer, or appear over hyped for the system. Wolf3D and Stellar7 have been played dozens of time on my PC but just sound too fun on the 3DO to not give them a try.

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 04:26:20 AM »

I voted Night Trap, because it's the only game I've played on the 3DO. It was at a friend's, never owned one myself Smiley
Tan
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 06:41:32 AM »

Then there's Need for Speed, perhaps. Probably not so great anymore, but noteworthy as the granddaddy of the series.

That one gets my vote. Smiley
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 09:08:16 AM »

My vote goes to Night Trap.  Beautifully done on the 3do and still a blast to play for those who love FMV games.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 10:42:53 AM »

That one gets my vote. Smiley
I was thinking of Need for Speed myself! Smiley I never actually played it, but I know the first NFS was released on the 3DO. Would've voted for it if it was in the  poll.
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »

Good suggestions. 

Need For Speed did rock, as did FIFA and for that matter Madden.  I did tend to try to stick to the best popular games for the system and hit every genre.  Gex was a complete miss for me (both on this poll and the game itself).

Terry  |  Marriott_Guy

Video Game Console Library  |  http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com
Magnum0ik
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 05:57:24 PM »

I thought I would add some 3do love to this old post.  I own one and around 30 games and love the system.

It introduced many games that we know today - Road Rash (best version on any system), Need for Speed (best version), Space Hulk (best version), Foes of Ali (1st game which led to Fight Night from EA), Fifa (1st 3d version of Fifa), John Madden (1st 3d version of Madden). It also introduced a headphone port in the Joypad (PS4 anyone?). It was also the first region free console.

Such a shame on the price which stopped it from properly taking off - oh and a certain PS1 of course.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length