RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 08:58:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | To XBOX or not to XBOX? That is the question. (no fanboys please) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: To XBOX or not to XBOX? That is the question. (no fanboys please)  (Read 5003 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 11:14:17 PM »

The 360 will be slowly going downhill as games progress. It doesn't have the hardware to compete for as long as the PS3 will, that's the one beef I've had with the system since it came out, it's more like X-Box 1.5 than X-Box 2.

Um...that smells like the start of a flame, and is not a helpful comment to the intent of the post.

Let's stay on topic, ok?

Sorry if I sounded like a fanboy, I can assure you I'm not (don't own or plan on owning either system). I've just been following this console war for years and have become opinionated.

As far as Shimra's post I agree that it should always be about the games. Indeed if no more systems were ever made I would be happy to continue playing games made for those systems. The fact remains, however, that new systems are being created. And if I am going to spend money on a new system I feel that it should actually be something groundbreaking, and that, to me, is for this generation the PS3. It has the most advanced hardware and gives you the most "next" for your buck. The 360 is essentially a shinier Xbox and the Wii is...the Wii.

But really you all should just get God damned PCs.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:16:10 PM by The Maligned Leon » Logged

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 04:29:22 AM »

The 360 will be slowly going downhill as games progress. It doesn't have the hardware to compete for as long as the PS3 will, that's the one beef I've had with the system since it came out, it's more like X-Box 1.5 than X-Box 2.
I think this is true. Even though the 360 has more games and more support, I think the system will be replaced earlier than the PS3. Microsoft won't let their system have "uglier" looking games than the PS3. The hardware is worse and although you can't really see the difference now I think that'll change during the next two years. It also uses dvd's which won't be enough anymore to store games on.

Although...maybe something completely different will happen, I think it's hard to tell, being on the edge or the traditional console era. (or so I think)
Tan
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »

The PS3 may yet have the "10 year" lifespan Sony says it will, but who's to say how good of a span that will be? You can guarantee both Microsoft and Nintendo will have a new system out in 3 years or so just as the Wii and 360 really begin to show their age.

As far as the Wii and 360 using DVD, funny multiple discs weren't an issue for the PlayStation nor the PS2 nor the Gamecube. Didn't hurt RE4 any did it? Besides, if Mass Effect and Oblivion can fit on one disc, I doubt you'll see many 2 disc games in the future. At least no more than the insane amount of LE's and CE's that have second discs do now.

======
To the OP: If you need to find reasons to own a X360 and need to ask, then you should probably wait. Most games are multi-console anyway and you've said yourself how satisfied you are with the PS3. This is no different than any other generation except for the online. Just play the games with your friends while your there and enjoy the PSN with whoever you can when your not. It's certainly not worth $300+ to possibly play a couple games you may or maynot like once or twice a week when your PS3 is silent.

I say $300+ because although the Arcade may look appealing to you and will play *most* of the games, that purchase may bite you in the ass later on. More and more X360 games are requiring the mandatory use of a HDD, especially the online ones and the cost of an Arcade + HDD is more than the new 60GB 360's cost new. Besides, most demos exceed the 512 meg of the memory card the arcade has, and for a 2nd system that you may be reluctantly buying, try before you buy is a must.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »

Console longevity is a funny thing. Personally, from the company standpoint it would make sense that as soon as a rival goes next gen that company should go next gen as well. The reason being that consumers constantly want the newest products regardless of specs. Lets's face it, us hardcore gamers who delve really far into this stuff are only a small percentage of consumers. People just want the newest and shiniest stuff.

*That's my perception at least.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »

Console longevity is a funny thing. Personally, from the company standpoint it would make sense that as soon as a rival goes next gen that company should go next gen as well. The reason being that consumers constantly want the newest products regardless of specs. Lets's face it, us hardcore gamers who delve really far into this stuff are only a small percentage of consumers. People just want the newest and shiniest stuff.
Yeah I know but I wouldn't want console gaming to become something like PC gaming where you have to upgrade your hardware every year and a half just to be able to play the latest games.

For me, 5 years is the minimum a generation of consoles should last. Any faster and it would feel that the technology is moving too fast for me. Financially atleast. I'm not an early adaptor, so I'll buy a console maybe 2 years or longer after its release. Imagine buying a console after two years that only has a lifespan of three. You'd barely get to enjoy having a "new" console and the next one would already be out.

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »

The Xbox 360 is meant to be played with friends.  I'ld say go for it.  Better yet, if you invite them over, they can recover their accounts and everyone can be signed in as themselves.  PS3 seems a bit more anti-social in how they deal with the friends list.  Both have good games and good exclusives, not to mention some of the best like COD4 are available for both.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 06:48:01 PM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 08:18:52 PM »

System life spans are a cruel thing, poor Dreamcast, we hardly knew ye.

Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 12:20:10 AM »

I mean no ill offense with this so please take my post with a grain of salt.  When you were deciding between the 360 and the PS3, you came to the conclusion that the PS3 served what ever purpose you wanted from the two.  Now, it's true that your friends are on the 360, but even with the lowered expense, I'd recomend not getting a 360.  None of the exclusive games interest you and while the online aspect may, you'd basicly be making a somewhat large investment on a system you've already wrote off.  Its not that the 360 is a waste of money by any means, but if your only buying it to play with friends, reguardless of the game, well, I'll leave the rest up to you.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 02:06:21 AM »

In my day we played our Dreamcasts with their 32k modems (we didn't get those fancey pancey 56k modems down here), and we would play Quake III Arena, Phantasy Star Online, and that was cutting edge! Before then you would have to go all the way over to your friends place to play multiplayer. So the trick was to have the best game collection and get them to all come around your place instead Grin

Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »

I mean no ill offense with this so please take my post with a grain of salt.  When you were deciding between the 360 and the PS3, you came to the conclusion that the PS3 served what ever purpose you wanted from the two.  Now, it's true that your friends are on the 360, but even with the lowered expense, I'd recomend not getting a 360.  None of the exclusive games interest you and while the online aspect may, you'd basicly be making a somewhat large investment on a system you've already wrote off.  Its not that the 360 is a waste of money by any means, but if your only buying it to play with friends, reguardless of the game, well, I'll leave the rest up to you.
  your right. I do feel the only reason to get one now is to play online. That's why i'm looking for other perks to justify my purchase. I know i'll get one eventually (gotta have one in the collection) but for now i'll just keep browsing pawn shops,thrift stores,yard sales & ebay. If I see a 360 for dirt cheap... I'll probably buy it. thanks to everyone for the input, it has been very helpfull
modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »

Me and 3 of my friends played through the Legendary difficulty on Halo 3 from our own homes.  Enough said.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 07:02:09 PM »

Me and 3 of my friends played through the Legendary difficulty on Halo 3 from our own homes.  Enough said.

Tell me more.
modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2008, 03:32:58 PM »

Tell me more.
One day me and my friends planned to play through Halo 3 on legendary one day.  So we quickly and easily invited everyone to the party. (NO FRIEND CODES!!!)  The gamertag is an easy to use and effective system that allows you to see what your friends are playing and join them, or have them join you.  Also, the Halo 3/xbox live server is the best I've ever played.  Halo 2 had some laggy games, but I havent experienced a single laggy game with Halo 3.  So all three of us, from the comfort of our own homes, played through the entire Halo 3 campain, all the while communicating with the crystal clear xbox 360 wireless headsets.  That was one of my favorite gaming experiences.  Right up there with playing FEAR in a room full of people who never played it.  (I knew where everything was Cheesy)
cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »

In my day we played our Dreamcasts with their 32k modems (we didn't get those fancey pancey 56k modems down here), and we would play Quake III Arena, Phantasy Star Online, and that was cutting edge! Before then you would have to go all the way over to your friends place to play multiplayer. So the trick was to have the best game collection and get them to all come around your place instead Grin
Man i miss those days...we used to set up the DC and Q3:A up with a little 20"tv on the tailgate of my truck and play 4 player deathmatch outside all night, doing alot of things we were underage for at the time...lol

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 11:33:42 AM »

Well I came upon a good deal on an Xbox 360. $100 brand new with a 20gb hard drive. So I snatched it up. I only got Test drive unlimited and Burnout revenge for it as of right now. I have to admit the 360 does have some interesting features. But it feels more (and i'm not trying to put the 360 down) like a toy. Not as much as the wii, but compared to the PS3 it's more family friendly and bright. As aposed to PS3's "darker" and technical vibe.... maybe it's just me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:36:55 AM by Reps911 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length