RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 04:20:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | To XBOX or not to XBOX? That is the question. (no fanboys please) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: To XBOX or not to XBOX? That is the question. (no fanboys please)  (Read 5001 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »

The 360 has many titles in its ranks for the hardcore though. More than the PS3, actually.
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »

The 360 has many titles in its ranks for the hardcore though. More than the PS3, actually.

I know, I wasnt talking about games. I was reffering to the overall layout of the dashboard compared to the XMB. PS3 feels like a PC/console hybrid and the Xbox feels like it's right in the middle of a Wii and a PS3. It's not too toy like but not overly "Tech"
Again not talking about Games or actuall performance, just the impression I got. I don't mind it. It's fresh, different.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »

Ok, but as long as it's easy to navigate and the games are good I don't think it matters that much what layout the dashboard uses. Wink

After all it's the games that make a console "hardcore" or "casual", not the menu's.
Wolfman Walt
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 02:34:28 PM »

360 doesn't have THAT many more titles from what I've seen. The only games the 360 gets exclusively nowadays is either shovelware or Microsoft products. Exclusives are dead for the most part so I don't really see it having too much of an effect.

modest9797
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »

I like the feel of the Xbox Dashboard.  It's relaxing and that is one of the main reasons I play games. 
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 05:39:57 PM »

I like the feel of the Xbox Dashboard.  It's relaxing and that is one of the main reasons I play games. 
I think the PS3's XMB interface is far superior just because it's far more minimalist, yet very customizable with themes that YOU can make and/or download. Plus, I think it's easier to navigate and get around in.

I can't believe how big of a nerd I am. Touting the benefits of a menu system.

As far as games go, I think they're pretty much even. The only thing is that 360 has their exclusives and a lot of the earlier "next-gen" (aka: now-gen) games that PS3 won't get.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 10:56:41 AM »

Well so far i've gotten the games that I wanted when 360 first came out: Test Drive unlimited (has really showed it's age) Burnout Revenge. and my first new game purchase: Vigilante 8 Arcade. all in all so far i'm satisfied with my purchase. My only gripes are: The 360 doesn't work properly with my tv's auto source feature, num pad on keyboard inop, That darn power Brick, control d-pad feels "loose" and lack of web browser. mostly little stuff but still stood out to me.
cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »

hope you enjoy the 360 overall...personally I like it better than the ps3 in general, though I admit the ps3 is finally catching up. Btw any idea if your system has already been repaired? If not pray your one of the lucky ones

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 10:36:05 PM »

hope you enjoy the 360 overall...personally I like it better than the ps3 in general, though I admit the ps3 is finally catching up. Btw any idea if your system has already been repaired? If not pray your one of the lucky ones

Well when I got the 360 it failed... I didn't want to say anything before ( i didn't want to fire up any fanboy comments) It was a hardware failure for the Video output (one red Light) They repaired it and sent it back to me, but it was kinda scratched up in the back where they opened it. So I called them and the person I talked to was very helpful and what they did for me was very unexpected. They asked me to send it back and in it's place they would give me a spanking brand new one w/ a charge and play kit and another free month of XBL. I sent it in and what I got back was a shock to me. The manufacture date was 10/25/08 , I got it on 11/03/08... only 14 days old!

as far as the 360 and PS3 go they both have their strong and weak point's. my new problem with the 360 though is the extra cost to get the things I need I.E. wireless internet, bigger hard drive, headset. I knew I was going to have to buy this stuff but it just makes me unhappy to open my wallet... Sad
cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 10:07:23 PM »

When mine died I got one that was about the same age 2-3 weeks old so no complaining here about how they handle system issues..lol
I know what you mean about opening the wallet...but on the bright side you dont need wireless just one hell of an ethernet cable

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 07:50:38 PM »

.but on the bright side you dont need wireless just one hell of an ethernet cable
for know i'm using my laptop as a wireless adapter, but that's only temporary... I thought about running a cable but when I measured it I would have needed 110 feet...bah!
NayusDante
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 11:57:11 PM »

That "powerline ethernet" stuff has supposedly matured to the point of being usable. I just got a kit today to hook up a media center extender, but it's going back tomorrow because it just doesn't carry the bandwidth. If you know a place with a good return policy, that's something to check out.
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 06:36:40 PM »

I broke down and bought the official Xbox adapter.... But no way was I going to pay full price! I got it from gamecrazy used for 39.99 and some crummy ps2 trade in's ( no loss to me I got 10 at a yardsale for 5$) It cost 59.99 used normaly which also is'nt too bad considering the wireless bridge I was planing to purchase was 50$
So far so good, it works very well and I havent had any issues yet...
NayusDante
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 09:24:19 PM »

That might be your best bet. Regular wireless is probably better than any ethernet solution that isn't directly connected to the router.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length