RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:17:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Random Photo Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 200 Print
Author Topic: Random Photo Thread  (Read 766983 times)
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2040 on: January 21, 2009, 06:32:41 AM »

To be fair, it did kinda spring up overnight, once the baby boomer generation realized they wanted to retire someplace warm. 

Those major roads are exactly 1 mile apart, throughout the entire city, but they aren't the highways.

You can follow the highways here. http://maps.google.com/?i....006623,0.013947&z=17

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2041 on: January 22, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

Here's a picture of Brussels: http://maps.google.com/ma...k&z=12&iwloc=addr

As you can see it's quite different.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:16:37 AM by Sirgin » Logged
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2042 on: January 22, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »

^When getting a link from google maps you have to click the "Link" button in the upper right hand corner.  Copy the text in the top box.  Otherwise, it just uses the last page you loaded from google maps.  In this case, Brussels looks a lot like Phoenix. :-)

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2043 on: January 23, 2009, 09:15:19 AM »

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Now it should work... I think. http://maps.google.com/ma...k&z=12&iwloc=addr

« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:16:54 AM by Sirgin » Logged
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2044 on: January 23, 2009, 12:45:49 PM »

That's really neat how the streets don't meet at 90 degrees, gives it a very unique look. Although it probably gets annoying taking some of those corners when you're driving.

We've lost power in the forward Game Boy, Mario is not responding
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2045 on: January 23, 2009, 05:50:15 PM »

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Now it should work... I think. http://maps.google.com/ma...k&z=12&iwloc=addr

Sad face that they haven't done street view there yet. Looks like a cool place for it.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2046 on: January 24, 2009, 09:51:58 AM »

That's really neat how the streets don't meet at 90 degrees, gives it a very unique look. Although it probably gets annoying taking some of those corners when you're driving.
It's interesting how something which is perfectly normal for me is "unique" for you. There are very little place here that are perfectly symmertrical like Phoenix.

The reason that the streets don't line up nicely here (and in most of Europe, I think) is because these cities are much older than cities in the U.S. (Brussels was founded around 1100-1200). In the Middle Ages people built their cities more in concentric circles (cities had walls around them) and much more maze-like. That's still visable in our cities today.

The red line indicates the original wall around brussels. (Some of the gates still exist today (as monuments))

* Brussels.jpg (344.73 KB, 1297x718 - viewed 331 times.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:57:01 AM by Sirgin » Logged
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2047 on: January 24, 2009, 11:59:41 AM »

It's interesting how something which is perfectly normal for me is "unique" for you. There are very little place here that are perfectly symmertrical like Phoenix.

The reason that the streets don't line up nicely here (and in most of Europe, I think) is because these cities are much older than cities in the U.S. (Brussels was founded around 1100-1200). In the Middle Ages people built their cities more in concentric circles (cities had walls around them) and much more maze-like. That's still visable in our cities today.

The red line indicates the original wall around brussels. (Some of the gates still exist today (as monuments))

Not only that but they didn't have the survey equipment or central planning like the modern city.   Also, terrain is a big part of it.  I don't know the terrain of Brussels, but Phoenix is flat as a pancake, (Except for the mountains, but for the most part Phoenix grew around them) and has no reason to have anything but straight streets.  A city like Cincinnati on the other hand, is made up of a bunch of hills, and have very few straight or flat roads, even though it is much, much newer than Brussels. 

Just for a visual, these show a bit of the topography of Cincy. (mine)

Topography of Phoenix. (not mine)

The real striking difference between European cities and American cities is the density, since American cities were mostly built on cars there was no reason do develop up instead of out. 

(BTW, that daycare massacre you guys just had over there is terrible.  What a crazy nut-job.)

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2048 on: January 24, 2009, 05:51:30 PM »

Just a question sirgin, but is the 'A' marked on the Brussels map your house?

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2049 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:04 PM »

(BTW, that daycare massacre you guys just had over there is terrible.  What a crazy nut-job.)
Yeah, I know. Undecided

We're not 100% sure yet but he was maybe copying "The Joker" of Batman because he painted his eyes black and his face white. No red lipstick though. Aparentely he was a "film freak".
It's irritating how the media always try to find something to blame instead of the person himself when stuff like this happens. It's either the music, the games, the movies, ... Sad

Just a question sirgin, but is the 'A' marked on the Brussels map your house?
Nope, that's the point being identified as "brussels" when searching for that. I live just outside of Brussels actually, but I go to school there. Smiley
(Brussels is only 10min away by car, so I live in its suburbs if you will)
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2050 on: January 27, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »

Haha.

http://maps.google.com/ma...455,,1,10.375837805207798
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2051 on: January 27, 2009, 06:19:17 PM »

That's brilliant!

Question: how much time do you spend on Google Maps to find stuff like this, James?
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2052 on: January 29, 2009, 06:53:18 AM »

London. (A must see.)
http://www.boston.com/big...ndon_from_above_at_n.html

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #2053 on: January 29, 2009, 08:13:54 AM »

^ Those are fantastic.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2054 on: January 29, 2009, 12:04:41 PM »

Beautiful pictures of London.  I hope to visit London one day.

Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 200 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length