RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:46:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Purchase Date 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Purchase Date  (Read 6461 times)
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 06:36:03 AM »

Of course. I'm not talking about a purchase date. I don't think it would be a good solid 'field' to have. But release dates, on the other hand, could be cool. You could, for the games that have no different regions, but different dates, select the country, then input the date. On the game page, it would look like:

Release date(s)-
USA: 10 January 1997
CAN: 15 December 1997
MEX: 09 March 1998

ETC. You get the point.

Then you'd have to add variations like:

Amazon.com - 9 January 1997
Best Buy - 11 January 1997

Because there are always multiple instances of release days now and one is as important as another. I.E. the NES being sold in New York 4 months before the rest of the country, the INTV being sold in California in 1979 or how confusing a broken street date would make the "official" release date look. See you have the placeholder release date used for tracking and media purposes, the day the game is stocked and sold and finally the day you bought it which of course doesn't apply here.

Of course the trivia section has great potential for this kind of extra info as well so feel free. Smiley

I'm sorry, maybe I am thinking to 'literal' about this. I kinda ment adding another section at the bottom, along the lines of Game Trivia, etc. But if you all hate this idea SO DARN much, then I'll go ahead and add release dates (OFFICAL ONES!!!) to the trivia section.

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2008, 06:46:26 AM »

I'm sorry, maybe I am thinking to 'literal' about this. I kinda ment adding another section at the bottom, along the lines of Game Trivia, etc. But if you all hate this idea SO DARN much, then I'll go ahead and add release dates (OFFICAL ONES!!!) to the trivia section.
I think that's a good idea, adding them to the trivia section. Making a new section for it would cause too many dificulties if you want to do it completely.

And we don't hate your idea. What makes you think that? The more ideas the better the site will become. But it's only natural to critically look at an idea before starting doing something without knowing what we'd get ourselves into, don't you think?

Honestly, no pun nor hate intended. nod
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 06:52:21 AM »

Sarcasm? Wink

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 06:54:58 AM »

Sarcasm? Wink
The sarcasm was hard to spot. You seemed truly upset to me. I just wanted to make sure you knew your idea wasn't hated or anything like that.
Tan
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 11:05:52 AM »

I think that's a good idea, adding them to the trivia section. Making a new section for it would cause too many dificulties if you want to do it completely.

And we don't hate your idea. What makes you think that? The more ideas the better the site will become. But it's only natural to critically look at an idea before starting doing something without knowing what we'd get ourselves into, don't you think?

Honestly, no pun nor hate intended. nod

The idea definitely has merit. Unfortunately this would be a major change to the submission/edit scripts and a big job for our coders to perform. On top of the coding it would require testing, bug fixing, an edit to the guidelines and time for the staff to get used to it as well as the members. So needless to say every idea like this has to be criticized, explored and covered from all angles before we jump in with both feet or table it for the time being.
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »

Sorry, just now getting around to this thread because my powers been out the past 2 1/2 days.  I just browsed through the thread and I think a purchase date for when you aquired the game would be a good addition to make.  I'm not sure how many people would fill it out, but I can definately see the merit.  Maybe have it default to the date you entered it into your collection.

I have been running short on the amount of time that I can spend coding RFGen as of late.  I'd like to implement this with my next update, but I can't guarantee when that will be.  Rest assured I think this is a good idea, just can't give a solid date on when/how it will be added.  I'll have to discuss it with staff as well to figure out all the details and stuff too.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »

I just browsed through the thread and I think a purchase date for when you aquired the game would be a good addition to make.  I'm not sure how many people would fill it out, but I can definately see the merit.  Maybe have it default to the date you entered it into your collection.

That sounds like an awesome idea, and would even save time having it default to the date you add it, as unless I had to add the game to the DB, generally the day I add it to my collection is when I got it.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 05:13:11 AM »

That sounds like an awesome idea, and would even save time having it default to the date you add it, as unless I had to add the game to the DB, generally the day I add it to my collection is when I got it.
Yeah, me too, although some people might not agree because they may add their games days/weeks after they get it. And what about new members? All their games will be "aquired" on the day they list their collection.

I do understand Eddie's idea though, rather than just having a couple of members fill it out, having it automatically makes sure everyone uses the feature. I'm not sure which is best yet, though.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 06:02:32 AM »

I think he means it defaults to the current date, but you can change it before adding it.
So it really is win win Smiley

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 12:55:21 PM »

I think he means it defaults to the current date, but you can change it before adding it.
Oh yeah, that'd be the best of both worlds Cheesy
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »

Oh yeah, that'd be the best of both worlds Cheesy

Exactly Smiley

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length