RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:34:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | How many of you have modded systems? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: How many of you have modded systems?  (Read 5694 times)
ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« on: October 03, 2008, 02:17:30 AM »

I've been on a bit of a modding kick lately (just modded both my 5200 and Colecovision last weekend), and I'd like to know if you've got any modded systems. Here's what I've got:

Atari 5200 (modded with S-video and composite, I also added a power jack to bypass the switchbox)
Atari 7800 (AV modded)
NES (disabled lockout chip)
AV Famicom (was modded by the previous owner so that it could use certain NES accessories like the Zapper)
SNES (removed the cartridge tabs from both my SNESes so they could play Super Famicom games)
Japanese SMS (replaced the original green power LED with a red one)
Genesis 2 (filed down the cart slot so that Japanese Mega Drive carts can fit)
PSX (mod chipped; this is the only reason why I still have it)
PC Engine Duo (was region modded by the guy I bought it from so I can play both American and Japanese HuCards)
Colecovision (AV modded; I also plan on modding it for component video)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 03:23:18 AM by ApolloBoy » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=ApolloBoy[/img]
Rajaat the Warbringer
CD-i
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 06:21:30 AM »

I just can't bring myself to do that to a system. I even pulled the tabs out of a game genie to play imports, rather than do it to the SNES.

There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.

--Moby Dick
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 06:28:43 AM »

All I have is the NES region lockout disabled. I don't wanna deface my snes either, so yeah.

Tell me about your variants...
Atarian75
Sega 32X
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 06:51:29 AM »

I have an av modded top loading NES and a region switch on my Saturn. I am not that into modded systems, but the saturn is a must.

-Atarian75

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 09:12:58 AM »

Nothing major really, but one of my NES has a green power LED and a few more LEDs in the case so that it glows when powered on. I've also got the lockout disabled on almost all of my NES. 

Mr. Ksoft
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »

I considered disabling the lockout chip on my NES but then decided I'd probably screw up and break the system.  That's as close as I've gotten to a modded system.

As soon as I get any consoles that only have RF video output, though, I'll probably have them AV modded so that I can use them with my hypothetic AV switcher that I'm going to buy eventually.

Interesting stuff:
Monochrome Nightmares (self-made games)
Exploding Jellyfish (self-made music)
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »

I considered disabling the lockout chip on my NES but then decided I'd probably screw up and break the system.  That's as close as I've gotten to a modded system.

As soon as I get any consoles that only have RF video output, though, I'll probably have them AV modded so that I can use them with my hypothetic AV switcher that I'm going to buy eventually.

Break the system? You have to be stupid (and I MEAN STUPID) to break it during that mod. Try it, and you will be happy.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 03:44:30 PM »

Break the system? You have to be stupid (and I MEAN STUPID) to break it during that mod. Try it, and you will be happy.
Yeah, the only thing you can break is the thing you are supposed to break. Just make sure you're certain you're disabling the correct chip/pin.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »

I haven't modded any of my systems. I'm not yet in that place where I feel the need to play import games or something. I'd also be a little scared to mess up a system aswell, while trying to mod it. ninja
cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 11:01:31 PM »

Not really into imports, so none of my systems are modded except for some little things needed to keep the 32x running...I am interested in AV modding the Atari 2600 (Sears Video Arcade version) and intellivision if its possible

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/cant-grow-up.png[/img]
wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »

I modded one of my N64s.
It took a hammer, flat head screwdriver and a narrow sharp chisel.

I then used the sharp items to pound out the plastic region "lockout" piece in the cart slot.
Luckily the system still worked AND played my couple JAP games after the beating Smiley

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »

I've added 50/60Hz and English/Japanese switches to my Mega Drive. Mainly just because I could. But then I picked up a few US games anyway.

I also cut the region pin on my NES because I bought Super Mario Bros. 3 which turned out to be the US version and wouldn't work.
Feechy
Neo Geo AES
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 04:29:49 PM »

As close as I've gotten to actually modding would be the Lockout ship on my NES and trying to get my SNES to play Japanese games.

<Alfador> stop trying to rain on my parade
<Kimoosabi> Your parade is stupid!
<Alfador> my parade is TIGHT
-
Crabmaster2000: dont talk to him or he'll try to sell you modded playstations
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »

SNES is it for me.  Everything else is got around with either a different system or external device.  Problem with mod chips for me is I'm fearfull of causing harm to what ever system I'd be modding.  I'd like to mod a few of my newer systems but for now, I've enough that will work without it.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »

As close as I've gotten to actually modding would be the Lockout ship on my NES and trying to get my SNES to play Japanese games.

Done for you. Wink

Nice new avatar Fuyukaze!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length