RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:36:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix  (Read 7450 times)
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »

I just picked SF4 up at lunch. But if you've got to buy a special stick to get it to play well, I might just return it unopened to get my money back. Tongue
Don't do that!

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2009, 03:46:46 PM »

I just picked SF4 up at lunch. But if you've got to buy a special stick to get it to play well, I might just return it unopened to get my money back. Tongue
Don't do that!

Help me understand why not...because I've just gone from looking forward to this game to dreading it solely because of the standard controller's poor performance. 

I wouldn't want to play any game with clunky controls, and I certainly wouldn't want to have to shell out another $60 for a controller that "fixes" the issue.

Help me out here.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2009, 04:46:44 PM »

I think the need for an arcade stick to enjoy this game is a bit overrated.

Sure, if you want to be a "pro" beat-em-up player a stick will help you throw out those combos with improved accuracy, but that doesn't mean a regular controller won't do the job.

Secondly, arcade sticks are also perceived as "better" because many beat-em-up fans have a history in the arcades. To recreate that (nostalgic) experience a good arcade stick will help out tremendously.

So I doubt SF4 has "clunky controls". People who like arcade sticks will always prefer them over standard controllers, regardless how good/bad those are for a certain game. Smiley
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »

^That all makes perfect sense, Sirgin.

I guess I just can't imagine being able to use an arcade stick without it being a fixture in a cabinet or suction cupped to a table (which could work for my living room), it seems like the weight of the thing would keep you from moving the stick the way you wanted to ("THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"...sorry, had to be done Grin) ...but I suppose that's a personal preference thing.

Okay, you've convinced me. I'll give it a try.

Tan
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2009, 06:57:06 PM »

There's actually more to the technical side of things. In a game like that, input speed and controller lag are factors as well. A wired arcade stick is faster than a wireless game pad most of the time. So are repeated button presses with your whole hand in action instead of a thumb.

For most people I'm sure it's not a factor. But if you want to get competitive, it's no different than a weighted laser mouse or a keyboard with presets.
Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2009, 07:02:01 PM »

I'm sure that if you're a casual fighting game player the 360 controller will work just fine for you. If you like the game and want to get more into it and other fighters, then I'd recommend investing in the stick.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »

After playing the game for about two hours, I have got to say that Capcom totally knocked this one out of the park. HIGHLY recommended!

Follow me on Twitter
hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 10:10:31 PM »

No doubt. I can't get past how to do Chun-Li's supers. that whole forward-back-forward-back thing is getting me so aggravated.

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 11:19:51 PM »

No doubt. I can't get past how to do Chun-Li's supers. that whole forward-back-forward-back thing is getting me so aggravated.
The charge moves? Yeah, they're a bitch.

Follow me on Twitter
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »

I'm sure that if you're a casual fighting game player the 360 controller will work just fine for you. If you like the game and want to get more into it and other fighters, then I'd recommend investing in the stick.

Okay. Sounds like a good plan. I'll try it out and see for myself. Cool

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 01:11:40 AM »

What character is everyone playing as? I find myself really enjoying El Fuerte.

Follow me on Twitter
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 09:07:21 AM »

I'm using C.Viper.

And I'll throw this out there, any tips for defending? I tried playing Arcade mode on "Easiest" and got my ass kicked in the 5th fight 13x by Vega! I was ready to throw my controller on several occasions so I decided to call it a night. The AI seems ridiculously tough. Another m-f'er is Zangief!

The game is beautiful and gameplay is solid, but I'm getting quickly frustrated with the AI.

Any tips for a beginner to the SF franchise to try out before I decide to trade this in?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:09:05 AM by phoenix1967 » Logged

hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »

I'm using C.Viper.

And I'll throw this out there, any tips for defending? I tried playing Arcade mode on "Easiest" and got my ass kicked in the 5th fight 13x by Vega! I was ready to throw my controller on several occasions so I decided to call it a night. The AI seems ridiculously tough. Another m-f'er is Zangief!

The game is beautiful and gameplay is solid, but I'm getting quickly frustrated with the AI.

Any tips for a beginner to the SF franchise to try out before I decide to trade this in?

The best tip I can give you is to pick a character you're comfortable with and PRACTICE. The great thing about this game is that most special are done using fireball motion, so they're relatively easy to pull off. Invent some combos, make sure that you're defending and getting the most out of the Focus Attacks, they're a great defensive tool. COMBOS, COMBOS, COMBOS, that's what gets you wins.

As far as newbies go, I like Abel. He's really accessible and there's a lot of strategy at play when you use him. Of course I will always love playing as Sakura though.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:00:10 AM by hXd » Logged

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 11:42:57 AM »

^Thanks.

I'm going to have to work the Focus attacks into my game some more. When I first loaded the game up, I went straight to the training mode so I could learn her moves. I like her attack set. At first I thought the Focus attacks were slow, but I "accidentally" pulled one or two off in some of my matches (button-mashing...bad, I know...but I am a raw Beginner) and they proved to be effective. Good to know they're a solid defensive tactic.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 12:04:32 PM »

@phoenix: I'm glad I was able to convince you to try out the game. Smiley

It would've been a shame if you didn't play that game just for a stupid arcade stick, especially since you already bought it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length