RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Best Buy - Damn Right It Was! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best Buy - Damn Right It Was!  (Read 2582 times)
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« on: December 01, 2004, 03:43:53 PM »

I went to Best Buy today to use those Best Buy Bucks that came on McDonald's french fries toward a game. I picked out the Sims for DS and the price on the shelf tag said $29.99. Get to the register and it came up $39.99. $10 is $10 so I made them go get the tag and dude came back and said oh, that was last week's sale. That price isn't good anymore. I was like that's the price I saw, that's the price I'm paying - period. Around these parts that's the way it works but they usually put up a fuss till you give in. I actually didn't get an arguement! They gave me the $10 off plus the $7 off I had in bucks. I got the game for $22.99  |D

Anyone else ever get lucky all like that? Someone had to catch it eventually. I'm just glad it was me cause kewl shit like that -never- happens to me. I'm very glad there are lazy workers in my area...hehe

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 03:46:56 PM »

If that sale was old they still had to honor it because it was the price advertised.

I have never been lucky enough to find anything like that either. I just am good at finding the lowest price among a few stores. So although i get some deals nothing too great maybe 5 bucks or so without sales.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 06:33:40 PM »

If that sale was old they still had to honor it because it was the price advertised.

Nope.  Best Buy had a sale on a 120 GB Maxtor hard drive with an 8 MB buffer for $59.99 after rebates in May 2003.  I went in, and they wanted something like $129.99 with no rebates for a 120 GB drive with a 2 MB buffer.  The 8 MB buffer drive was even more.  They wouldn't honor the price on EITHER of these drives, even though I showed them my ad, and they checked the ads they had at the front of the store (which showed the same price as mine).  They wouldn't even get a manager for about thirty minutes, and when they did, he claimed there was a note in their ad that said they didn't actually have to honor the prices posted in it.  I told him to show it to me, and of course he couldn't find it.  The best offer I got was $10 off the $129.99 for a drive inferior to the one advertised.   I haven't bought anything at Best Buy since.  There are much better deals elsewhere anyway.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 06:51:11 PM »

If he could actually have found the not stating that then he would have been correct since he didn't yoiu could have and shoudl have kept fighting.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 08:06:24 PM »

I fought with them for at least an hour.  An hour.  They kept "going in back" to "check something" when they were really hoping I'd get tired of waiting and leave.  Maybe they saved their $50 that day, but they have lost hundreds from me since.

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 09:21:12 PM »

I've had that quite a few times with Future Shop (Canadian company owned by Best Buy Co. - almost identical to Best Buy, yet almost always has cheaper prices).  They don't put up a fight at all.  IF the sticker says $14.99, it's selling for $14.99.  Had that happen a few times - never once have they put up a fight.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 09:02:54 AM »

I got a sweet deal on Halo at Target in a similar way. A couple years ago Target had a holiday promo where they were selling a few games blister packed with a mini strategy guide. Halo was one, Half Life was another. I saw a post on DP that they were blowing these out for $13 bucks.

I hit a few Targets and finally found a store that had ONE left. I aksed a clerk about the clearance price and he hadn't heard about it.. He scanned it and the SKU was no longer in the system. So they gave it to me for $13 bucks. I had no proof there was a sale just a "I read on the internet that...". they even had the game alone on the shelf for $50 and still sold it me for $13. I was pleased.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 07:24:55 PM »

Something I've learned about fighting with stores over prices. If you're polite about it and put up a fight but are quiet they don't really give a rat's ass and most of the time will turn you away...

What you really need to do (and believe me, it works) is be loud, obnoxious, and it doesn't hurt to have a "nigga bitch attitude"...lol My friend grew up in the projects an she has attitude in spades. Not once has she been turned away and always gets the price she wants. If a corner of a box is slightly damaged she manages to get a few bucks knocked off even. If you give the store manager shit and attract attention they'll usually give you whatever just to shut you up and get rid of you...lol Wink

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 10:12:01 PM »

It's pathetic to be loud, obnoxious and bitchy to get things cheaper. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 11:13:46 PM »

Hell no. When you're as broke as I am you don't give a fuck. And shit, if they fucked up and they're tryin to play me you damn right I'm gonna bitch at em.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 05:03:58 AM »

as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Chiko_Ri
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 09:09:29 PM »

I would say being loud, rude, and obnoxious could go both way though. Since I work in retail myself, I know when to and not to be rude and obnoxious. It is true that when you're really nasty about it, people would do anything to get you to shut up and get you out of the store, but sometimes, they'll just ask you to leave, or go to another store. However, when a customer is very nice and polite about it, I would generally ask my manager for permission and see what I could do for the customer, it would usually make me more willing to do something to help the customer out.

Talk about customer service, this is not Best Buy, but CompUSA. Best Buy had pissed me off too much recently, and I got this letter from CompUSA the other day, it said I could get 10% off of Digital Cameras, MP3 players, PC Games, and a couple other things; plus 18 months interest free financing if the purchase is over $400! My brother had been eyeing at this Sony 20 Gig NW-HD1 for a while, and I needed to pick up an external harddrive for my computer 'cause it was going bonker the other day, so we decided to drop by this evening and pick them up. I usually don't like the CompUSA around where I work, 'cause the costumer service was poor and no one knows his/her stuff. However, the other CompUSA would be an hour drive away from where we were, so we went there anyway. The guy who helped us out today was real nice and he really knew his stuff, so I thought I could actually change my mind about this CompUSA for once, but was I so wrong... When he rung up my stuff, I asked him if the 10% discount was applied toward my purchase and he said yes, so we left the store afterward. Once I got into the car, I looked over my receipt and realised the 10% discount wasn't applied toward my MP3 Player and a PC Game that we picked up, so we brought the receipt back into the store and told them about it. This time, it was another girl at the customer service table. So I pointed a few things out to her on the receipt, and the letter itself, first she said, "Oh, I can read." to me, I was taken back a little bit but I ignored that. Then she proceeded to just void out my MP3 Player and PC game off of the original purchase and rering it up, so I stopped her. "If you just take these two things out and rering them up, I can't get the 18 months finance on them." She didn't get what I said so I repeated myself a few times. (The math was easy, $350 + $40 is not even $400, how would I get the finance plan AFTER the 10% discount?) Then she got snappy and nasty ON ME, "Well, what do you want? Do you want the 10% discount?" "Yes, of course I do." "Well, it's either that or this. You can only have one." No, of course that's not WHAT I CAN HAVE. It doesn't say so on the letter and I am entitled to BOTH. So I told her to just rering everything up, it shouldn't be that hard. She got all nasty and took her... Probably 20 or more minutes to redo the transaction. While she was doing it, she said, "I'll need your driver's license for the information." "Umm... The addresses aren't the same." And of course, she got nasty about it again. While this was happening, there were about 10 other people waiting in line, there was NO ONE ELSE IN THE STORE. The guy who helped us out earlier was running around the store helping this couple out, and apparently the manager and everyone else was either, smoking outside, eating, or watching a football game.

I was really pissed off at that girl's attitude, if she can't be helpful on the Sales Floor, make herself useful behind the register. I'm a Shift Supervisor in a retail store, so I understand how important customer service is, and I know how a retail store runs! She should NEVER give me that kind of attitude, because one thing for sure, I'm never going back there again, and I'm going to tell everyone I know not to go there. CompUSA isn't a place where you spend a few bucks on their products, you spend hundreds and thousands of dollars, I shouldn't take this kind of crap from anyone of them when I'm spending hundreds of dollars in that store. It's not like I was fuzzing over a $2 purchase, the purchase was over $500 and the discounts came up to $40, I believed I had every right to be upset, bitchy, and nasty about getting my money back AND get the finance plan. Ack. T_T Man, I really hate these Big Chain Stores, they really endorse idiots. >__< Sorry for the long rant.
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 10:39:24 PM »

Polite can work if you're talking to human beings. If you're talking to the short bus rejects that work in 80% of the stores here in the Burgh you gotta talk down to them or they don't understand what the hell you're saying. Sorry to hear CompUSA gave you shit. The ones around here have been awesome to me. I suppose it has everything to do with location and what kind of person/people you're dealing with at the time.

Chiko_Ri
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 01:06:51 PM »

Yeah, I told my brother that we're going to go to the other CompUSA from now on. I think it's funny, in a really sad way, because the one CompUSA I visited is located in a fairly affluate town, you would think they would hire semi-decent human beings? No, they don't. Everytime I went there, they had at least 3 or 4 people taking a smoke break together at the same time. And... There's never anyone in the store to help you. *shake head* Actually, their manager was taking an hour and half lunch break + watching a football game, so no one could find her. *shrug* Whatever. >>
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 01:07:24 PM by Chiko_Ri » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length