RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:34:49 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | The Gym Diary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: The Gym Diary  (Read 217696 times)
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:35 PM »

No soda has helped me a ton, so bravo!

Hate to admit it, but I've basically been substituting other caloric drinks for sodas, like milk and fruit juice. They're pretty close to the calories-per-serving that soda has, but I probably don't have to worry as much about my teeth rotting away.

Still got a bit of the sugar jones in me, too. Been trying to calm that down with soft-chew bubble gum like Big League Chew or Bubble Tape. Do so much chewing that it hurts when I try to eat later in the day.  Wink

Can't say the same for caffeine though. I have a little bit each day, relatively 2 cups of tea at work and none on the weekends.

I tried the cold-turkey route with caffeine. I was okay a full day without, but halfway into the second, I got the usual pressure headache right behind the eyes that usually comes with caffeine withdrawal. I've since been indulging every other day. It appears to be something I have to wean myself off of.

I've been going to crossfit before work and we get into some pretty crazy workouts...

Yesterday before work I did 15 pull ups, ran 1.25 miles, 30 push ups, 30 curls, 220 double unders with jump rope and 50 toes to bar (literally hanging from pull up bar and touching my toes to the bar).

Gettin' ready for when the Bad Mudder comes to town?  Grin

I wish I could do just one pull-up or push-up. I've never been able to do that, ever. God, how pathetic is that? I figure I will eventually, but I'm focusing primarily on the cardio thing. As soon as I feel comfy enough to add strength training to my regimen, I'll start that up. I'm aiming for the beginning of next year.

Today, I hurt. Tomorrow, I go back to the gym lol

I woke up expecting to be pretty achey, but aside from some stiffness in my right ankle-- the one I sprained recently-- I wasn't  too bad off. I did, however, wake up fairly thirsty, which is not unusual. And whatever troubles I had moving around in the morning, disappeared at the workplace where I spend all day standing up and walking around.

Whelp, time for that walk to the nearest post office with a few recent small scores I've resold online...
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »

Well, I guess I didn't do bad for my first real time in months(although I have a blister the size of my pinkie nail on my ankle)

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

bearmetal
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »

Milks and juices are fine, its really the sugars that kill ya. Sugars and sodium just absorb water and that never helps. If it weren't for Tough mudder shocking the crap out of you I would be all for it.

I was in the same place as you, Zagnorch, a little over a year ago. I started with these: http://www.beachbody.com/...E_TMT&s_tnt=48360:3:0

It's not exactly cheap, but it is a very easy workout program and great to get started. After that I started working into more advanced stuff but also focusing on cardio. You'll get there though, keep up the great work!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2013, 07:43:06 PM »

Well, I guess I didn't do bad for my first real time in months(although I have a blister the size of my pinkie nail on my ankle)

Before I hike, I put Body Glide all over my feet and other parts that will experience a lot of rubbing. You should be able to find it at any major sporting goods store; a stick or tube of liquefied powder runs about $10 a pop. Which might seem expensive, but is well worth it.

I recommend the liquefied powder over the stick type, as it applies much more easily. If you're near a Sports Authority, they carry just about every variety you can think of. Big 5 just carries the stick kind. New balance specialty stores have a New Balance-branded Body Glide stick, which is softer than the one Big 5 carries.

http://www.bodyglide.com/
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2013, 01:52:27 PM »

Been walking ~3-5 miles a day. Exploring the neighborhoods around my new place in depth, finding the secret routes and such.

When shall his new form be revealed?
bearmetal
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »

Today is the first time I didn't feel like I was going to die after the workout. Lots of shoulder presses at 95lbs and a little ab and leg work in between.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »

Been walking ~3-5 miles a day. Exploring the neighborhoods around my new place in depth, finding the secret routes and such.

Always good to have an escape plan should things go fucko bazoo.

Today is the first time I didn't feel like I was going to die after the workout. Lots of shoulder presses at 95lbs and a little ab and leg work in between.

Well, when it starts to get a bit too comfortable, that's the time for you to step up your regimen.

As for myself: a week of little exercise at all has me back up to 260. It doesn't help that I'll have a much busier than expected work schedule over the next couple weeks. Eh, I'll figure it out.

My local community center usually starts offering a yearly pass to its gym for $150. And they have a pretty diverse and extensive set-up, too. Definitely somethin' to look into.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:27:01 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

Oh I've got my plans set. I just need more guns is all.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »

Oh I've got my plans set. I just need more guns is all.

In that case, maybe your neighbors should have escape plans should you go fucko bazoo.  gunpistols
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »

Still at 260. Mainly from no walks, hikes, or workouts at all. This is primarily due to work-- after the day's done, I just plain don't feel like doing anything. Gotta get over that, and at least take a walk around the block or something. One the bright side: maintaining is better than gaining.

I also broke down from a stressful work day and downed a Big Gulp. Fortunately, it was rather disappointing. I'll do my best to recall that disappointment the next time temptation calls.

As for the caffeine: I'm pretty much going without for two days, then having a little something on the third day.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »

I've been trying to get off the caffeine myself. I tend to go a few days, and if I get really tired at the start of work, I'll try to see how long it lasts before I grab some caffeine. I tend to last close to a week before I grab something, but recently I've been falling asleep sooner and not feeling as tired when I wake up. Unfortunately, woke up at 3am last night and didn't get back to sleep until 5:30am...damn sleep cycle's breaking down.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »

I joined the YMCA at the end of December. I'm hoping to lose around 50 points by keep a closer eye on what I'm eating (which I hate) and playing a lot of basketball (which I love). Wish me luck!

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »

I've been trying to get off the caffeine myself. I tend to go a few days, and if I get really tired at the start of work, I'll try to see how long it lasts before I grab some caffeine. I tend to last close to a week before I grab something, but recently I've been falling asleep sooner and not feeling as tired when I wake up. Unfortunately, woke up at 3am last night and didn't get back to sleep until 5:30am...damn sleep cycle's breaking down.

Quitting caffeine is actually really easy to do once you have the mindset for it, and once you realize caffeine doesn't give you any energy at all.

I had my last cup of coffee on November 3rd, 2013 and haven't had any since then. And I've been drinking coffee for nearly 10 years at around 4-6 cups of drip coffee per day.

The small "urge" to grab a cup of coffee in the morning faded after 2-3 weeks for me. Now I don't feel feel the need for coffee, ever.

You just have to stick to it and that first month will pass in a flash. After that it's smooth sailing really.
moonraker_fats
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »

I applaud y'all's efforts to kick the caffeine.  Those of you who've deployed in the last few years know that energy drinks are abundantly available and drinking them becomes routine (Pre-mission Rip-It, mid-mission Rip-It, post-mission Rip-It) so I got used to a high caffeine level. What helped me cut back was to add up all the money I spent in a month on caffeine.  Add it all up and then think about what games you would have bought with that money.  Imagine how many copies of Silent Service you could buy!

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2014, 05:24:10 AM »

I've been trying to lose weight since the last week in January and I'm down 18 pounds to 186.  Just 11 more pounds to go and I'll be at my goal.  I'm pretty sure I've got the flu right now, so this week doesn't look good.  I don't know if you've ever tried to go to the gym with a high temperature, but you don't get much done.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length