RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:43:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | The Gym Diary 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: The Gym Diary  (Read 219146 times)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2014, 12:33:59 PM »

I finally got my hands on a treadmill. I never wanted to shell out for one but if I knew how much it was going to impact my life, I would have gotten one a long time ago.

In the past, my "off-season" would start around October, when I didn't feel like going outside to run. I would become slothy and sedentary until about April when I would say holy shit I need to lose some weight. By the time summer comes I'm just making a half-assed attempt to at least not look like a fat slug on my one or two annual trips to the beach.

Having a treadmill has changed all that. I'm going for long runs on it twice a week and walking almost all other days, with a normal lifting routine on running days.

I am now almost in the shape I want to be, and it's not even March! That's just with eating right since Jan 1 (cliche I know but I stuck with it) and working out since the beginning of Feb.

Some day I will live in an area where I can go outside year-round, but until then, I can't believe what a game-changer owning a treadmill can be.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2014, 05:31:37 AM »

Working some crazy hours lately so I have to hit the treadmill early in the morning. Did a little over two miles fast walking this morning starting at about 4:30am. God bless my wife for putting up with it. It's only temporary anyway.

Had a great heavy workout this past Sunday, going a little longer with my lifting routine and way longer with my run (7.5 miles). It felt great. Doing my heavy workouts only twice a week has made a huge difference in not only my performance and results but my mental attitude towards working out. I used to lift every other day, and run almost every day. For me that was a recipe for burn out. Now that I lift then run twice a week and either walk or rest on all the other days, I look forward to those heavy workouts and make the most of them when they come in a way I never have before. 

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »

25 minute lifting routine followed by 3+ mile run at about 10min/mile pace.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »

Update! After a couple of months, I am now 20 pounds lighter. Feeling great!

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »

Update! After a couple of months, I am now 20 pounds lighter. Feeling great!

Nice job man!

As for myself:
Sunday - 30min lifting routine followed by 5+ mile run.
Monday - rest.
Tuesday - 2 mile brisk walk.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »

Got myself a couple wimpy weights just to keep some tone on my arms while I'm not doing anything else strenuous in life.

When shall his new form be revealed?
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2014, 06:43:09 AM »

Thurs - 20min lifting routine then 4+ mile run

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2014, 01:49:15 PM »

I've been an off and on (mostly off) work out guyer my whole life. I've always been athletic, but always a bit underweight.

My goal: gain 10-25 lbs by August 1st. For me, this will be an immense challenge.

@ GrayGhost - Congrats on the running. I used to run a lot myself. It releases tons of endorphins and can be very instrumental in fighting depression, quitting drugs or alcohol, as well as it's obvious health benefits. That's why you feel so great after a run, it's a natural high.

I noticed above you bought a treadmill. If you choose to run outdoors, try to avoid running on roads or sidewalks or other hard surfaces. It's not good for your legs. You won't feel it now, but when you're an old man you're knees will be as stable as marshmallows.

If you or anyone else needs advice on breathing techniques, proper form, stretching, curing shinsplints, etc. feel free to pm me.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:29 AM »

Thanks Jerry,

I've been struggling with that fact that long distance running really kills the body for years now. I used to run six miles six days a week, sometimes more. Now I have been running only twice a week and may cut that down to once a week if I can stay conditioned that way. I intend to ramp up how much walking I do and pepper in some sprint work but as far as long distance endurance training I really only want to be conditioned enough to run a particular 5K I do with a buddy of mine every year in July. 

To be honest I have already seen better results doing more anaerobic training (though no more than twice weekly) and less aerobic training.

I'm wrestling with the idea of posting some before/after pics here, if ya'll want to see me with no shirt on Wink

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2014, 08:51:42 AM »

Yeah I feel like there's going to be an epidemic of bad knees in about 30 years. Seems like freakin every 20-30 year old middle-class white person I know is galloping about all day eery day. Not to mention the fact that they're going to be fast freakin zombies.

I just walk 3-5 miles at a brisk pace most days and do some weight cardio at home. It doesn't murder the body so much and still gets the heart pumping.

When shall his new form be revealed?
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »

I used to run all the time, but on soft surfaces because I get shin splints really easily if I run on pavement.  Other than that, I only lift dumbbells now.  I used to go all out and work out for hours at a time, but I don't care anymore and lift a few days a week now.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »

Thanks Jerry,

I've been struggling with that fact that long distance running really kills the body for years now. I used to run six miles six days a week, sometimes more. Now I have been running only twice a week and may cut that down to once a week if I can stay conditioned that way. I intend to ramp up how much walking I do and pepper in some sprint work but as far as long distance endurance training I really only want to be conditioned enough to run a particular 5K I do with a buddy of mine every year in July. 

To be honest I have already seen better results doing more anaerobic training (though no more than twice weekly) and less aerobic training.

I'm wrestling with the idea of posting some before/after pics here, if ya'll want to see me with no shirt on Wink

It's a Gym thread. I think that no shirt is one of the hazards people should have to endure. Tongue

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2014, 05:47:41 PM »

Not to mention the fact that they're going to be fast freakin zombies.

So that would explain why so many movies/games feature fast zombies these days. I wondered where they came from.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2014, 07:06:12 AM »

Thanks Jerry,

It's a Gym thread. I think that no shirt is one of the hazards people should have to endure. Tongue

Sounds like an invitation to me! Coming soon...

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2014, 01:35:43 PM »

So I ran 3.1 miles on the treadmill two Saturdays in a row. Right around 27 minutes both times. Not great by any means but to me that proves I can run a 5k only once a week and still stay in running shape.

It was almost nice enough to run outside today. Once I can do that I will really start trying to work on my pace.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length