RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:35:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | The Gym Diary 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: The Gym Diary  (Read 217647 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »

Has anyone noticed that fat people tend to call normal sized people skinny? I weigh 200 lbs, and am 5'11"- according to every BMI calculator I've seen and every chart in the military, I am "overweight". I got called skinny by a couple guys at work who both have guts, LOL. I was tempted to make a fat joke but I just avoid conflict at work unless it's something that truly needs saying.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2014, 03:10:46 PM »

Has anyone noticed that fat people tend to call normal sized people skinny? I weigh 200 lbs, and am 5'11"- according to every BMI calculator I've seen and every chart in the military, I am "overweight". I got called skinny by a couple guys at work who both have guts, LOL. I was tempted to make a fat joke but I just avoid conflict at work unless it's something that truly needs saying.

I'm five-eleven myself, and 200 pounds is my current goal weight to reach at the end of 2015 (I'm presently at 285). IIRC I think the healthy weight range for that height is supposed to be between 170-185 for men, depending on type of body frame and other factors. However, after talking to my doctor, we agreed that 175 might be a little too light for me. Should I make my goal weight and not find it "svelte" enough, I'll just set a new goal weight of 190.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2014, 02:07:27 PM »

Not trying to tell you guys what to do, but weight is not necessarily a good metric for health. I haven't weighed myself in years and as matter of fact my wife and I threw away the bathroom scale a few months back because neither of us used it. Furthermore, BMI is bullshit.

Anyway, Dear Gym Diary:

I have changed my strength days from Sunday and Wednesday to Monday and Thursday. Sunday has become a complete rest day, which is awesome. Saturday I run, so the detrimental effects of running won't contaminate either strength day. So last night I lifted, tonight and tomorrow I walk the tread briskly for two miles, and so on.

I also stopped pairing my strength training with treadmill walks. I used to have it in my head that I had to pair the two, but a few weeks ago I decided to skip the tread on a strength night and just "go hard" into the lifting and I'm pretty sure that has been a good decision.

I did end up running last Saturday afternoon like I posted about and it was glorious. I almost burst into tears as soon as I started because it had been such a damn long time since I've had a "real" run and it felt so good.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2014, 11:53:08 PM »

I don't think weight is a good indicator either. I think how you feel when you look in a mirror, naked, and how winded you are after going up the stairs is a good indicator as to how healthy you are.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2015, 08:00:19 AM »

I don't think weight is a good indicator either. I think how you feel when you look in a mirror, naked, and how winded you are after going up the stairs is a good indicator as to how healthy you are.

Amen. That's precisely how I feel. Good luck in the new year my man.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2015, 04:04:35 PM »

I'm gonna pick up a treadmill today I saw off of Craigslist. It's the only way I can run because I work long hours and the gym is far away (I refuse to run outside, along the street, for various reasons)

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »

Good luck man. As I described somewhere earlier in this very thread, getting a treadmill was one of the best things I've ever done in my life.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2015, 01:34:40 PM »

I'm gonna pick up a treadmill today I saw off of Craigslist. It's the only way I can run because I work long hours and the gym is far away (I refuse to run outside, along the street, for various reasons)
What reasons?
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2015, 10:15:21 PM »

Sup gents

I kicked into running mode and did my normal 8 mile run to start the season today.

it's thinking
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »

Sup gents

I kicked into running mode and did my normal 8 mile run to start the season today.

Bravo! Do it. Do it!

I'm training for my first 5K of the season on May 2. Gotta dig up some records to see what my PR is so I can smash it.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2015, 02:30:01 PM »

I'm training for my first 5K of the season on May 2. Gotta dig up some records to see what my PR is so I can smash it.

Ran in the Dora Pederson Memorial 5K in Newton, New Jersey this morning.

Came in second in my age group and 25th overall with a 22:49. I am very happy with that.

Well that was hard, LOL. Psyched for this race. I'm gonna go all out.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »

Ended up slightly improving on last year's time with a 22:21. Was hoping for sub-22:00, which would have been a PR, but I'm very happy with this time. It was a great race.

Here's a post race pic of me and my boy Andre with our hardware. I got third in my age group and he was first in his with a time of 22:15.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2015, 12:20:35 PM »

my girlfriend got me one of those tourist-y local walking guide books, with about 60 different walks around the city. decided to make it a habit to do one of them every week, it's nothing strenuous but i tend to almost power walk most of the time because i can't stand going places slowly. really enjoying it as each walk in the book has a short description of the park or area around the walk, including pointing out local historic landmarks that are worth checking out. most of the things mentioned in the book i knew nothing about, so i'm getting to know my city a lot better through this.

i agree with the above conversation about weight and BMI, especially weight. muscle weighs more than fat. that being said, if you're really overweight and you know it's mostly fat then having a number to aim for as a goal would really help with motivation, as long as it's reasonable. a vague goal of "i want to look like this in the mirror" or "i want to do this many stairs without straining" is a lot harder to visualize as you're working towards it IMO.

also this is my first post in The Gym forum! the last forum on rfgeneration that i had yet to make a post in, excluding the april fools temporary ones.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2015, 12:17:59 PM »

I rode 323 km in one day (200 miles) on my bike. I'm quite happy with that. Riding over 300 km in one go was one of my goals this year.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length