RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:44:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Video Game Pet Peeves 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Video Game Pet Peeves  (Read 21608 times)
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 01:00:21 AM »

People who call themselves "hardcore" gamers.

People who consider themselves experts on gaming but when questioned about anything older then them or the first system they ever played pretend it either didnt exist or wasnt popular.

People who work at game stores, claim to know alot about games, yet only know about popular sports titles.  (close enough to above to almost be same group but not always)

RPGs where you save village/town/city/world from some stupid idiot monster/robot/evil organization/batsh$# crazy person/god and all you get is a hand shake and a slap on the back while being told job well done.  Yeah, I realize it's the end but when the huge epic battle is the end, it's always kinda anti-climatic.  RPGs have been around long enough, isnt it time they spice things up a bit?

D/C content.  I still dont see the point of it.  Sure, extra content sounds great when it's actualy extra content but I dont see many companies making D/C stuff so much as keys to unlock stuff you've already paid for.  I expect many companies will continue or follow as it's aparently quite profitable to half deliver on content and then nickle and dime the hell out of their customers for it.  Gamers should be ashamed for promoting this buisness practice.  Not all games do it, but too many do.

cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »

---The Seemingly millions of 12 y/o british kids (no offense to anyone here) that are on live at like 3 in the morning theyre time kicking my ass at every game im playing.....do parents not read the rating labels?!
I lol'ed so hard when I read that one. laugh

Sad thing, he's right!  Nothing like an 8 year old stomping a mud puddle in your ass....and then you crying like a 3 year old.  Cry

Im all for getting beaten but come on my parents still didnt like me playing doom/quake etc when I was a kid....but running into kindergarteners that have G.O.W. memorized is a little disturbing.
Forza 2 on the other hand I guess I just need to practice more

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis

wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

---The Seemingly millions of 12 y/o british kids (no offense to anyone here) that are on live at like 3 in the morning theyre time kicking my ass at every game im playing.....do parents not read the rating labels?!

That's strange. In Britain, it's the seemingly millions of twelve year old American kids calling everyone a limey nigger faggot that annoys everyone.
Pop Culture Portal
RFG Friend
United States
Awards: Tournament Winner

Stats
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 06:48:48 PM »

That's strange. In Britain, it's the seemingly millions of twelve year old American kids calling everyone a limey nigger faggot that annoys everyone.

laugh

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 08:47:04 PM »

I've got a theory.

Seeing as these 12-year olds are up at 3AM in their time, us "older gamers" that game on "normal" moments, only see the 12-year olds of different continents because those on ours aren't gaming yet. Tongue
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 09:45:52 PM »

I've got quite a few that people have already mentioned that drive me nuts to and a couple new ones to add:

1. The Terms "Hardcore" or "Old School" - I wont even explain these ones

2. Specialty Shops/Game Store Employees - I get the worst service when I go into any gaming specialty shop weather it be locally owned or a chain store. The chain stores tend to have some decently priced games, but the locally owned ones just price gouge. I mean Bubble Bobble 2 with a torn label for $300 or F-Zero X for $400!?!?!?

3. Downloadable Content - Im a patient person and willing to wait for the sequel for my extra content. I cant justify buying something I cant physically own.

4. Online Multiplayer - Besides all the trash-talking that has been mentioned a few times I also dont understand the appeal of it. I mean I can completely understand playing online with people you actually know and then you can talk about it (or gloat) later when visiting with them, but why play with strangers online? Isnt that just like playing a computer opponent? Why is it neccessary?

5. Treated like an idiot when purchasing games - I've gotten some comments like Sirgin has in the past, but luckily I dont live in a very big city and most of the locals at least recognize me now and know that I'm not stupid when it comes to games. It still happens sometimes, but what I hate more than that is when they try to recommend games for me. If they know I'm into gaming wouldnt they assume I'm aware of most million seller games? I dont mind getting recommended games, but I have heard of Halo and no I dont care for it.

6. People Trying to "relate" through games - This one bugs me the most and unfortanutely probably also makes me look like a huge ass 90% of the time. I dont often bring up my love for games when meeting people, but occasionally it becomes the subject (they heard it through someone else normally). They ask me if I've played their favorite games and what I thought of them or tell me I'm not a "real/Hardcore" gamer because I dont own ______. I love talking games, but only with people that share similar gaming interests not just an interest in games.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Feechy
Neo Geo AES
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »

Anyone who thinks they or their games shit gold. During the summer when I went to garage sales I saw some things I really wanted to get but the prices were crazy. Nobody is going to pay $25 for a genesis Madden game. Also I hate it when people consider the Atari 2600 to be the first video game console.

<Alfador> stop trying to rain on my parade
<Kimoosabi> Your parade is stupid!
<Alfador> my parade is TIGHT
-
Crabmaster2000: dont talk to him or he'll try to sell you modded playstations
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 01:03:32 PM »

1. The lack of offline multiplayer games. So many games are geared towards online multiplayer that 4-player split screen with system link is getting a lot less utilized. Disappointing.

2. The lack of offline multiplayer games to also include level editors. It's a blast to create something new and share it with friends when you get together to play.

ItellYaHuat
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »

When people call the Sega Genesis just a "Sega" and when people refer to the NES as the regular nintendo, original nintendo, or just nintendo. There's many more pet peeves that I can name but I'm at school right now so I'll save them for after class. Tongue

I trained my cousin to stop calling it Sega and to call it Genesis and it worked lol. Now none of my cousins call it the Sega lol. They call it the Genesis thank god. It was getting on my nerves.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:10:40 PM by arnold_the_bartender » Logged
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2009, 09:44:59 PM »

1. The lack of offline multiplayer games. 
I so agree with you on this one.

Online gaming is nice, but it comes at a serious price. Not only do most developers not care anymore for offline multiplayer; often games that are simply not ready for release get released anyway. Things can always "get patched up later", so it's better to release yesterday than today, right? This is one of my biggest dissapointment with today's gen, and makes me feel nostalgic about last gen, even though I don't own a next-gen console. Sad

Developers simply expect you to have your console hooked up to the internet, yet many people don't. Can you imagine the dramas that take place when people with offline consoles buy games that are still very buggy, but are unable to update them?

And thirdly, even if you have your consoles hooked up the the internet and can update all your games, I still don't like the updating/DC. I used to love consoles because they were the hassle-free no-nonsense gaming experience unlike the PC. But now with all the downloading/updating bullshit, even a console gamer runs into the "Oh noes! No more space on my HD!" or "I better update to the next firmware to get rid of the bugs in the last one" problems that used to be things only PC gamers had to worry about.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »

RPGs where you save village/town/city/world from some stupid idiot monster/robot/evil organization/batsh$# crazy person/god and all you get is a hand shake and a slap on the back while being told job well done.  Yeah, I realize it's the end but when the huge epic battle is the end, it's always kinda anti-climatic.  RPGs have been around long enough, isnt it time they spice things up a bit?

Haha I know what you mean! But still there are a few awesome RPG endings recently. My favorite off the top of my head involves the main character being impaled after the battle.
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »

Haha I know what you mean! But still there are a few awesome RPG endings recently. My favorite off the top of my head involves the main character being impaled after the battle.
There are exceptions to the rule.  FF6, FF10, Great Greed, and Lufia were all RPGs with endings I enjoyed.  Sure, you saved the world and all that but the endings had a twist.  I know there are more though but the problem is, they are still few and far between.

ga5ket
DB Editor
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »

5. Treated like an idiot when purchasing games - I've gotten some comments like Sirgin has in the past, but luckily I dont live in a very big city and most of the locals at least recognize me now and know that I'm not stupid when it comes to games.
I fairly recently (last year) bought Tony Hawk's Underground 2 for the PS2, and the employee of the store asked me if I understood what I had to do in the game. FFS, I know I'm nearly 40, but I do remember skating, and it's only a bloody videogame! Damn!

cant-grow-up
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 01:09:12 PM »

1. The lack of offline multiplayer games. So many games are geared towards online multiplayer that 4-player split screen with system link is getting a lot less utilized. Disappointing.

Couldnt agree more.....sure online is great, but nothing can compare to the trash talk that insues when you and 3 buddies are all huddled around the same screen playing Q3:A (or goldeneye etc).

remembering the old times of late nights with the genesis

wishlist:Pico-3DO-Jaguar-Nomad-Xbox-NES
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »

I thought of another biggie in my book - the whole MLG scene and all of the so-called "pro" gamers. I hate how the term "pro" is just thrown around these days. As far as I'm concerned, you aren't a professional anything unless you can afford to live off of your income. Too many kiddies and moronic adults run around calling themselves "pro gamers" these days. Especially with FPS titles.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length