RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:16:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | NFL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: NFL  (Read 8575 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 08:51:41 AM »

Teams don't get moved every few years or anything, but they do indeed move.

*Boston Yanks became New York Bulldogs
*New York Bulldogs renamed New York Yanks
*New York Yanks became the Dallas Texans
*Dallas Texans became the Baltimore Colts
*Baltimore Colts are now the Indianapolis Colts
*Cleveland Browns are now the Baltimore Ravens
*new Cleveland Browns team created
*Houston Oilers are now the Tennessee Titans (Memphis)
*Tennessee Titans move to Nashville (same name)
*Houston Texans created
*Chicago Cardinals became the St. Louis Cardinals
*St. Louis Cardinals are now the Arizona Cardinals
*Cleveland Rams became the Los Angeles Rams
*Los Angeles Rams are now the St. Louis Rams
*Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles
*Los Angeles Raiders are now the Oakland Raiders again
*Los Angeles Chargers are now the San Diego Chargers
*Boston Patriots are now in Foxboro and are the New England Patriots
*Dallas Texans (not the same team that moved to Baltimore) are now the Kansas City Chiefs
*Boston Redskins are now the Washington Redskins

Keep in mind that these moves have taken place over the course of about sixty years, give or take.  I'm probably also missing some.  Really early on, like in the 20's or 30's, there were a LOT of professional teams that moved, changed names, combined with other teams, folded, and were re-created.  Back then, though, professional football was still a brand new thing, so it's not fair to say fans weren't loyal.  Rather, they were still trying to build fanbases in the first place.  The other thing you have to remember is that the NFL is (in its current form) less than 40 years old.  Many of the moves and name changes I have above happened before the merger of the AFL and NFL (the NFL name is the one we use today).  

Sure, it's commercial to some people, but in a lot of cities, fans are extremely loyal to their team, no matter what.  Take Cincinnati, for instance.  The Bengals haven't had a winning season since 1990.  Yes, that's right.  1990.  I was five years old at the beginning of that season.  Since then, they have been the worst team in the NFL in almost every category.  They've been in highlights videos more times than any other team - only they're the ones getting burned.  Still, Cincinnati fans stick by their team and built them a $500+ million stadium to keep Mike Brown (asshole) from taking our crappy team away from us.  We love our teams as much as anybody in the world.  Even though I can't remember a time when the Bengals didn't suck, I've always been a fan.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 09:02:40 AM by admin » Logged

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 02:23:42 PM »

Well, thats not exactly fair.  Both stadiums cost 500 mil.  The Bengals got the 300 some mil one and the Reds got the 100 some mil one afaik.  And plus, a lot of that went to redeveloping the area and not just the stadiums.  (i.e. parking lots, street grids that changed, practice fields.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 02:23:52 PM by hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2004, 03:17:18 PM »

Okay, I just did a check, and the figure I found was $453 million.  It was definitely far greater than $300 million.  That $453 million may not even include all of that development you mentioned which was necessary for the stadium to be built, and it also probably doesn't include the cost of guaranteed sellouts for ten or so years that we promised the Bengals.  (We pay the difference if games don't sell out.  This may have been dropped last year finally, but I believe we did have to pay penalties for a few seasons there.)

The Reds stadium cost about $320 million.

Originally, these two were supposed to cost $300 or $350 million combined.  Leave it to Cincinnati to shoulder 100% of the cost of both of these stadiums and not get anywhere near the target for either one.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:19:57 PM by admin » Logged

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 05:17:55 PM »

Yeah, for some reason i thought it was 500 mil for the whole thing, but it was close to 1bil for the whole thing.  I guess all this exam cramming has left my mind a little exhausted.  I do know that Hamilton County shouldered most of the cost, which is why it says "Hamilton County welcomes you" over the enterence to GABP.  Not sure if the same is written on the enterence to PBS, but I would guess so. (We should have tricked Kentucky into paying for 1 of the stadiums. Smiley)

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 09:33:31 PM »

I think Kentucky tricked us into paying for them so that they can reap the rewards.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 09:33:52 PM by admin » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length