RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:10:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | NFL 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NFL  (Read 8554 times)
thx1138
3DO

Stats
NFL
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:03:18 AM »

I live in Britain, and watch NFL. Please don't laugh at me, if I seem a bit wooly,with the rules and terminology.

I like it. Last night I watched the highliughts of the Redskins v Eagles.
The best bit, was when the Redskins had a  first down and goal, and the Eagles took possession of the ball.

anyway, tonight I am going to watch (i think) Cinccianti? Colts vers K.City Chiefs?

It's live on Channel 5 at about 2:30am our time.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 08:37:50 AM »

Cincinnati played yesterday at New England and blew about ninety chances to win against one of the best teams in the league.  For more on Cincinnati, check the "Same Old Bengals" thread.  The Bengals are the Cincinnati team, which is of course where shadytool, St0rmTK421, both Leons, TraderJake, myself, and maybe a few others are from.  They have been awful since about 1990.  That's a really long time.  Thankfully they appear to be on the upswing.

The Indianapolis Colts also played yesterday against the Houston Texans.  They had their lowest-scoring game of the season at just 23 points, which for most teams would probably be pretty good in a lot of games.  Peyton Manning, their QB, is amazing.  He's setting pretty much every single-season record there is for a quarterback to set.

I'm guessing that you'll be seeing the Kansas City Chiefs vs. the Tennessee Titans.  If you're interested in reading a preview of the game, you can get one here:

http://www.nfl.com/gamece...eview/NFL_20041213_KC@TEN

NFL.com also has stat and game-tracking, which is nice if you're trying to keep track of multiple games at once or if there is a game that you want to see but isn't on in your area.  There is also an NFL Europe site, but I don't know much about it.  Do the NFL Europe games actually get any coverage there?  Do people actually watch it?  Their site is here:

http://www.nfleurope.com/

Looks like their season doesn't start until April.  I might have to follow that, actually.  Since there is no football around here during the summer, that could be a good way to make up for our under-achieving baseball team (the Cincinnati Reds).

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 10:28:59 AM »

I don't know anything about nfleurope.

When I was a kid, grassroots British NFL was very popular, but not televised. I used to go every week to watch Brighton play.

20 GOTO 10

RUN
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 12:28:19 PM »

The Bengals are the Cincinnati team, which is of course where shadytool, St0rmTK421, both Leons, TraderJake, myself, and maybe a few others are from.  

No hydro??

2:30 AM, damn that time sucks.  You'll be up till 5:30 watching that one.  (Oh, and its spelled Cincinnati, not that anyone ever gets it right.)

I'm also not too surprised to hear that the Bengals did everything they could to lose this game.  I wasn't able to catch it, so all I had was the quarter/quarter score.  And looking at that, it would have appeard that we were just plaing getting killed, not giving them the game. Rats.  Oh well, next year we'll get to the Super Bowl.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 12:38:06 PM »

well brush up on your NFL thx and next year you can join the RFG fantasy football league.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 12:58:24 PM »

Los Huesos Asesinos van a matar todos los equipos y beber su sangre.

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 03:20:20 PM »

Who are the murderous bones?

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 03:25:30 PM »

My fantasy team in the RFGen league.

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 04:13:00 PM »

my confusion about who was playing was based upon me being sleepy when watching the roudup last night

it is indeed the Titans v Chiefs live tonight, yes indeed I will be up to 5.30am

The  NFL show on Channel 5 starts at 1:30am, and I can't spell anyway, we all know that, so don't pick me up on it.

Anyway, I'll probably flake out at half-time! But it's so cool to watch NFL on mainstream British t.v again!

Seriously, it was ""big"" here in the 1980's and then kinda imploded.

Hard for someone like me, to adequately explain the way it was, this was in pre-cable t.v days. We only had 4 t.v channels! Channel4 the new channel was ""alternative"" and it pushed NFL, in an intelligent way, explaining the rules, slowly, with commentators understanding our lack of knowledge of the sport, and slowly getting more complexed, week by week. By 1985 , most of the boys at my school, inlcuding the entire rugby squad, were like zombies after staying up late to watch the Superbowl.

20 GOTO 10

RUN
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 07:05:52 PM »

At least that super bowl didn't involve janet jackson, some random boy band guy, and an exposed nipple. And you can always record the game and watch it at a more decent hour.  Im actually surprised that the NFL games are broadcast over there, we dont get much, if any, rugby or soccer over here.  Although, there is prolly something im just not aware of on some random channel I've never heard of.

Nep - I was going to guess that, but wasn't sure.  Kinda a dark comment though.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 09:21:06 PM »

Maybe a little.

sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 10:14:57 PM »

In the Netherlands they still try to push try NFL Europe. I think the NFL is too commercial for Europe. Like moving cluubs all the time. If a club don't attract enough crowd the just replace them. I heard that iit's quitte normal to move clubs in the USA, but in Europe it's more that you support the local club instead of a brand.
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 01:44:31 AM »

in soccer I suppoer MK Dons. Formerly Wimbeldon. The only club to have moved and renamed. Everyone hates us. Smiley

20 GOTO 10

RUN
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 06:46:33 AM »

Teams don't get moved that often, but it seems like as soon as one moves, you can expect three or four others to move.  

Also, I never would have expected American football to be big anywhere else.  It just seems like it is too American if that makes any sense.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 08:38:13 AM »

let's see, NFL franchise moves that I've seen in my lifetime:

Baltimore Colts move to Indianapolis

Oakland Raiders move to Los Angeles then back to Oakland

St. Louis Cardinals move to Arizona

Los Angeles Rams move to St. Louis

Cleveland Browns move to Baltimore, become the Ravens

Houston Oilers move to Tennesse become the Titans

that's all I can remember and I don't think that's in chronological order either.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length