RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:41:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Website Help 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Website Help  (Read 1958 times)
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:02:52 AM »

Does anyone here know anything about PHP or anything of the sort? I run a website for Namco's Tales series merch. I've been updating every item page manually with html. It's a real bitch since I have to update links manually too.

Here's what I'm looking for. Something where I can just log in and choose the photo(s) to upload, add information (same fields for all items), and hit submit. Having it be searchable would be nice too. I don't need multiple users to be able to log in and update. Just me.

Long term it would be nice to be able to have folks add items to their collections, something like what RFG does for game collections. At the very least I'd like to let folks upload photos of their collection and say a bit about it.

If anyone knows of anything that's idiotproof PLEASE let me know! I've been struggling to find something but haven't had any luck. All of this newer stuff is Greek to me.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »

Dave and Eddie know PHP. Smiley

I'm not learning PHP until next year (I think...) so I can't help you just yet.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:37:19 PM »

I'm Greek.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:50:04 PM »

Thanks Sirgin. Dave and Eddie are far to busy for me to ask them to come up with something for me girl

And yes Leon, I remember. I imagine you understand some Greek? If so great. Get your ass in gear and help...lol Tongue

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »

PHP isn't client side like HTML is, it actually runs on the server.  The first thing you need to do is make sure the server you are running on supports PHP, and which version if they do.  Also, since you want to be able to edit stuff through the web you are likely going to need a database on the back end for PHP to interface with.  Most web hosting companies will already have a database server that PHP can interact with.  I can offer advice, but I don't have the time to write something like that.  There may be something pre-made that you can get.  I'll take a minute to look into that when I get the chance.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 05:44:03 PM »

It'd be great if you could find me a proper package Hydrobond! I tried looking for packages on my own. I have no clue what the hell half of the stuff meant. I used to dick around with Nuke (about 4-5 years ago) but that's about as far as I got. Most likely I'll be moving to the Zhrodague server (http://www.zhrodague.net/). Drew always keeps everything updated so I imagine it's the latest version of PHP. We use MySQL for database.

I used to know how to set up the database myself. These days I don't remember so I'd have Drew do it for me. I can install the PHP package myself for the most part (if it's simple). Just the actual finding of a suitable package is a bitch! I've looked through hundreds over the past week and have -no- clue about any of them  Undecided

Shit man, if you manage to find me something.. I'll totally put a link, mention, whatever the hell you want on the site. I'm at a total loss and desperate  hmm

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »

"This database made possible by the fine folks over at RFGeneration"
Wink

Best of luck with everything.
I thought your tales site was down completely until just a couple days ago.
Glad its not i know you had quite a bit of shit.

Also if anyone finds something suitable and you think it is totally idiot proof i'd be interested in stealing your DB template so i could start something personal(but online accessible) for my MK stuff(since my only freewebs account that got deleted over the last couple years. was my MK one).
I don't have anything on my PC i could use not that it matters since my PC no longer recalls any new files or programs.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:17:40 PM by Izret101 » Logged

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 08:59:10 PM »

Here you go, this is tinyportal, a CMS that works with SMF. I don't know if it has everything you're looking for, but it could be a good lead for you.

http://www.tinyportal.net/

Also, there are other CMS's like joomla and mambo. Hopefully one of those will be good for you.

Hello World.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 10:17:11 PM »

PHP installation is simple, but will require access to the machine, so if you don't have an admin account on that server, the admin will have to install it for you. 

This seems to be something that will fit the needs you described.  Plus, there are video demonstrations of how to use it.  http://plone.org 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 10:40:33 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm gonna give this Plone thing a whack (if Drew cooperates). It -might- work but it may be too simple for what I'm thinking. I have no clue.

@ Terz - I think this thing may work for your needs too! I'm not entirely sure though. Won't know until I get it running and figure it out. It looks to be super idiot proof though. Maybe even too idiot proof to the point of annoyance  laugh

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 06:46:58 AM »

^It's more powerful that it might look at first glance.  There are lots of plugins.
http://plone.org/products

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 03:15:47 PM »

I can't wait to start playing with it. Right now I'm at the mercy of my admin. I used to have root access. Lost that when I was unable to keep up with admin duties.

In the meantime I'm pissing around with website catalog creation software. Most of the stuff I've been playing with does what I need it to do. The only thing I don't like is all of this stuff outputs the web pages with FRAMES. I hate frames. Ghetto!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length