RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:16:31 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June 2021 Playthrough - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: June 2021 Playthrough - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty  (Read 8326 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: May 23, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »

JOIN TODAY!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 08:19:59 PM »

I’ve actually never played any of the metal gear games. So I’m in on this one. Do I need to play the first one to understand what’s going on in two?

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 09:06:27 AM »

I might have to jump into this one. I've only played the 1st game.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 10:20:04 AM »

I’ve actually never played any of the metal gear games. So I’m in on this one. Do I need to play the first one to understand what’s going on in two?

From what I understand, this is a direct sequel, so it could be very beneficial to do so. Besides, you really need to do yourself a favor and play the original. It is an all-time classic and a must play experience imo.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »

I might have to jump into this one. I've only played the 1st game.

Same dude. Seems to be a maiden voyage for many of us. I'm excited.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 12:24:04 PM »

Geez, it's like you guys are pulling directly from my backlog lately. I played this back when it first came out but remember very little about it. I've been making a point of going back and replaying the series, and after playing 1 and 3 over the last year or two, MGS 2 was next on my list. Count me in!

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 03:42:21 PM »

From what I understand, this is a direct sequel, so it could be very beneficial to do so. Besides, you really need to do yourself a favor and play the original. It is an all-time classic and a must play experience imo.

Whelp I guess that settles it. I guess I'll get started on the first game!

douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 08:56:06 AM »

I'll join, is this version or substance on the collection?  Or does it matter

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 09:06:25 AM »

I'll join, is this version or substance on the collection?  Or does it matter

Doesn't matter, pretty sure the core campaign is the same and Substance just has a bunch of extra stuff.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 09:31:34 PM »

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't checked in here.

Any of y'all had a chance to play the game this month?

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 10:16:28 AM »

I haven't played much yet, just through the first boss fight. I always struggle a bit with the controls in these games since there are a ton of different commands to learn and most of it feels pretty unintuitive for me, so I'm still trying to wrap my head around that, although I think I'm slowly starting to grasp it.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 05:43:08 PM »

I haven’t even started if I’m being honest. I wanted to play the first game since MGS 2 is a direct sequel, but I haven’t been able to get into it. I think at this point I just need to give up on the first game, for now, and just play MGS 2 for the playthrough.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 08:48:30 PM »

I just finished the Tanker portion. The game's growing on me a bit as I'm getting used to the controls, although I'm hoping I get into the Plant portion a bit more.

Mr_Stubbes
Sega Genesis
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 07:38:13 AM »

I’ve tried to play this twice already. My first go, ended up with me just wandering aimlessly around the tanker. The story mentions going down into the cargo hold to snap pictures of the new metal gear so I spent 15-20 mins trying to do that with no luck so I ended up just abandoning that run. I started again this morning but had to use a walkthrough to figure out that you don’t go straight down but instead all the way up to the top deck to the first boss fight. I’ve beaten the Olga and saved for now. I’m trying my best to like this game but it’s just not clicking for me. I’m really not a fan of games that constantly make we think “where the hell do I go”. I don’t except a game to hold my hand, but when it tells me to one thing but needs to me do something else without even mentioning it, really frustrates me because the objective isn’t clear. Maybe I’m just being too critical and I’m hoping this game will prove me wrong. I’m going to keep playing to try and get through it, but I fear I’ll need to stick to a guide like glue to get through it and that takes all the fun out of a game.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 07:50:34 AM »

You may enjoy the next portion of the game more. The Shell is labeled and you can use a map to find 'strut A' or wherever you need to go next in relation to where you are.

Also, use the radio more. In the tanker section, call Otacon if you don't know what to do next. In the Shell you'll call someone else but I won't spoil it. Also the game keeps you on the rails more in the main portion of the game; if you go the wrong way you may get a forced radio call that ways something like 'what are you doing? head to strut F' or whatever.

I'd hate to see you get stuck on the tanker, so one other thing you can do is bail to the main menu and start a new save starting at the Shell, bypassing the tanker section completely.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length