RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:03:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Favorite Horror Films 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Horror Films  (Read 59466 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2015, 09:32:46 AM »

My yearly October household HorrorFest includes: The Gate (1987), Shocker (1989), Phantasm (1979), and The Invisible Man (1933). Discuss.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »

The invisible man is great apart from the shrieking woman. The effects in that are fantastic. Better than a lot of cgi you get nowadays
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »

The invisible man is great apart from the shrieking woman. The effects in that are fantastic. Better than a lot of cgi you get nowadays

I always try to do a classic film the last week. It was between this and Bride of Frankenstein this year.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2015, 11:00:49 AM »

Good choice. Bride gets a lot of attention but invisible man is mostly ignored. But as I said before, with the great effects etc it definitely deserves more attention
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 11:08:50 AM by Schlibby » Logged
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2015, 04:19:56 PM »

My yearly October household HorrorFest includes: The Gate (1987), Shocker (1989), Phantasm (1979), and The Invisible Man (1933). Discuss.

Great choices! The Gate is fantastic, I have a thing for Stop Animation, and this movie has great creature effects. As much as I love watching Horror, I have yet to see Phantasm all the way through. Its not that I think its bad, its just I have only seen the beginning

I haven't seen a whole lot of the Universal monster movies, I have only seen Dracula (Renfield steals the show in this one), Frankenstein (Dr. Frankenstein is an incredible performance) and The Mummy ( Great performance by Karloff). I usually go for the Hammer Film versions, I like the gore, and more risqué elements that were more acceptable at the time. Maybe I will choose one to watch this year from the Universal Monsters.

I feel I have to categorize my favorite horror films by era/decade, since there are so many I like.

I am going to try to do at least my Top 5 from each era

Here is my list:
Silent Era: Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera, Dr. Caligari
1930s-1940s (Universal Monster Era) : Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy
1950s-1960s : Psycho, Horror of Dracula, Night of the Living Dead, Them!, Curse of Frankenstein
1970s: Halloween, Last House on the Left, Black Christmas, Zombi 2, Alien
1980s: Friday the 13th, The Beyond, The Howling, The Thing, Re-Animator
1990s: In the Mouth of Madness, Flatliners, Jacob's Ladder, Candyman, Species
2000s: Gingersnaps, Cabin Fever, Freddy vs. Jason, Drag Me to Hell, Trick r Treat
2010s: Cabin the Woods, V/H/S, ABCs of Death, That is all for now

Please Discuss

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »

Great choices! The Gate is fantastic, I have a thing for Stop Animation, and this movie has great creature effects. As much as I love watching Horror, I have yet to see Phantasm all the way through. Its not that I think its bad, its just I have only seen the beginning

I haven't seen a whole lot of the Universal monster movies, I have only seen Dracula (Renfield steals the show in this one), Frankenstein (Dr. Frankenstein is an incredible performance) and The Mummy ( Great performance by Karloff). I usually go for the Hammer Film versions, I like the gore, and more risqué elements that were more acceptable at the time. Maybe I will choose one to watch this year from the Universal Monsters.

I feel I have to categorize my favorite horror films by era/decade, since there are so many I like.

I am going to try to do at least my Top 5 from each era

Here is my list:
Silent Era: Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera, Dr. Caligari
1930s-1940s (Universal Monster Era) : Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy
1950s-1960s : Psycho, Horror of Dracula, Night of the Living Dead, Them!, Curse of Frankenstein
1970s: Halloween, Last House on the Left, Black Christmas, Zombi 2, Alien
1980s: Friday the 13th, The Beyond, The Howling, The Thing, Re-Animator
1990s: In the Mouth of Madness, Flatliners, Jacob's Ladder, Candyman, Species
2000s: Gingersnaps, Cabin Fever, Freddy vs. Jason, Drag Me to Hell, Trick r Treat
2010s: Cabin the Woods, V/H/S, ABCs of Death, That is all for now

Please Discuss

Wow!  I hate that I am just now seeing this post. I would have certainly commented on it earlier. I really like how you categorized your favorites and you have some great films on your list.  Here are my thoughts:

Silent Era: Yeah, you are all over this. Love Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and Phantom, you might consider Haxan here as well, Faust is decent, and I've heard good things about The Golem, but have never seen it.
1930's-1940's - can't go wrong with Universal films. I'd add The Wolfman (1941) and Bride of Frankenstein (1935) to your list and check them out if you haven't already. The former is one of my favorite Universals.
1950's-1960's - in college, I really got into the atomic age films, so glad to see you include Them!, since it is one of the best from that era; I also liked The Mole People (incredible and surprising ending) from that era and The Tingler (1959) with Vincent Price.  My list would include Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) and The Blob (1958) even though these seem out of place for the era.
1970's - love Halloween and Alien, would add Zombie (Fulci), The Exorcist, The Brood, Sisters, and Deep Red, maybe even Jaws, but you HAVE TO have Texas Chainsaw Massacre in here, so grainy, so great!  Too many good films in this era to pick 5. Ha!
1980's - I've seen City of the Living Dead and have been on the lookout for The Beyond since then (the Gates of Hell series is great), Friday the 13th series classic staple of my childhood. Add Return of the Living Dead, Tenebre, Evil Dead 2, The Shining (1980), and maybe Nightmare on Elm Street (DAMN! too many good ones in this era)
1990's - love that you included Candyman! Army of Darkness & Dead Alive (more like comedies though), and Silence of the Lambs (though more of a drama). I love Ravenous (1999), a must see. Seems this era was more about mixing genres.
Newer films (2000+) - Add The Descent, Shawn of the Dead, Let The Right One In, The Babadook, and It Follows.  I dug Trick 'r Treat as well and glad it made your list.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »

And in the 2000s don't miss Devils Rejects. A rob zombie film and sequel to his pretty crappy house of 1000 corpses (a Texas chainsaw clone). However devils rejects is far superior
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2015, 08:39:21 PM »

I forgot about, The Descent, that is a great one. Just watched It Follows, very good. I liked the schoolbus story the most from Trick r Treat.

I have seen all of Rob Zombies movies, they are good and fun movies but they didn't make it into my Top 5.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2015, 04:07:23 AM »

Coincidently I watch It Follows last night too. Pretty good film. Worth a watch
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2015, 08:00:31 AM »

Coincidently I watch It Follows last night too. Pretty good film. Worth a watch

Yeah, I really dig the way it is filmed as a throw back. You know that it's modern because the kids are using cell phones, but it still has that great John Carpenter, small town feel. The way the camera pans by the small houses in the neighborhoods is well done and the music.............HOLY SHIT!..........the music. I had to immediately find and download it when I got home. Great, fresh concept that really exploits the sex trope found in many of the 70's and early 80's slasher films.

They did an amazing two-sided movie poster. One side is more modern, and the other looks like it came straight off an 80's VHS tape cover. I want to find one for my game room.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2015, 11:38:33 AM »

Yesss!!! The music is so great, and the cinematography is excellent, it shows lots of depth to the scenes. I love the 80s poster, really cool. I don't own the movie but I will.

Have you seen House of the Devil? it has a nice 70s/early 80s horror feel to it. Its not as good as It Follows, but it was pretty good

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »

Yesss!!! The music is so great, and the cinematography is excellent, it shows lots of depth to the scenes. I love the 80s poster, really cool. I don't own the movie but I will.

Have you seen House of the Devil? it has a nice 70s/early 80s horror feel to it. Its not as good as It Follows, but it was pretty good

Haven't seen it, but will check it out.  Watched Phantasm last night. Holds up.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »

Haven't seen it, but will check it out.  Watched Phantasm last night. Holds up.

Nice, I am going to see if I can just buy it for cheap somewhere, and watch it

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 01:44:08 AM »

I'm on a Zombie and Werewolf kick lately on Horror films.  Some of my favorites are:
Late Phases
Silver Bullet
An American Werewolf in London
Night of the Living Dead
Night of the Creeps

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2016, 09:02:20 AM »

Man, I'm a big fan of Silver Bullet. Just found a special edition of The Howling this week.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length