RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:18:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Super Confused about Variations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Super Confused about Variations  (Read 1841 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: December 25, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »

I like to think of myself as a careful person.  Before I started ramping up my submissions I decided to comb over the FAQs and questions.  For example I found that while there is no specific guideline for screenshot size like there is for scan, a quick look through the forum shows that a maximum of 576p (that is, 576 on the short side) is acceptable.  Very easy to understand.  Variations were the same.  I thought I had a good understanding, but apparently I don't.

One of my recent submissions was for "Deathtrap Dungeons" for the IBM PC.  After it was approved I noticed it was listed as a variation of a a Brazilian release of Deathtrap Dungeons (I submitted as an Add Title).  Since there was no NA version in the database there should be no variation, as this would imply a Regional Variation (which is to say, sub-regional) and there is none (that is, no Canadian or Mexican version currently in the database), nor is there a packaging, media, or labeling.

My question is, am I completely out of order here?  I plan of doing quite a bit more submissions in the future, and feel I really need to know.  Can anyone please help? 

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »

I don't tie in variants with the same title between regions.
Other staffers do so that if someone should happen to click on the right title but wrong region they can simply click through to the correct entry.

I will generally only do a variation tie in between regions when a title has changed from region to region.
I guess i am of the opinion that it isn't that hard to find what you are looking for if you enter the proper criteria...

So basically the short answer is. Some staffers will tie it in if it exists for the same console in the DB already some will not. It doesn't really effect it one way or another(AFAIK) other than linking to each page if you click to view the game page.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 12:48:11 AM »

Thanks, Iz.  Basically I don't have to change the way I submit, which is a relief.  Now that I understand what to expect and why.

- Han Solo
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:51:09 AM »

I was the one that added the Variation Tie-In for the Brazilian version. If we want to be extremely technical about it, Brazil's Deathtrap Dungeon was the North American version of Deathtrap Dungeon that was localized by CD Expert and released as a promotional copy in Brazil's PC Gamer magazine. However, it was added as a Regional Variation because it's the same title, just in a different region. There are two versions of Deathtrap Dungeon in North America that were released in retail big boxes - one had the trapezoidal box, and the second had a normal rectangle box. Just an FYI, since I figured you only owned the CD-ROM.  Wink

I can go into an extremely long spiel about the importance of proper Variation Tie-Ins, especially with roadmap features that I have for the site, but I don't want to overextend a commitment on it just yet. Let's just suffice to say that if another title has the same content and released in a different region, it typically qualifies as a Variation Tie-In.

Variation Tie-Ins are mainly meant to show a table identifying all known versions of the title in one location, especially if the names are different (as Izret mentioned). However, it's also very helpful in identifying new versions of titles you don't know about or own yet, such as Canadian Genesis titles.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »

Thanks, Shadow.  As I stated, my confusion was more about the difference between what was in the FAQ and what happened in my submission (I guess my IT is showing).  I'm more concerned with accuracy, with my goal being to make RFG as my one-stop, primary source for PC/Computer information on the Internet (a little self-serving, but Tongue ).  I'm not sure which version I'm getting, though I hope for the trapezoid box (trade from Goozex).

So in the future, you would rather the Regional Variation used as a "tie-in" tool when a regional variant exists, correct?  How would I handle a game that has many different regional variations (i.e., Super Mario), or can you just list many different variations with one submission?  Sorry, but like my beloved PC, I require more maintenence than my console brothers.

Also, I'm a little distressed that there are so many people approving submissions in different ways.  Is there any way I could get a person assigned to me (or rather me assigned to a person)?  Cheesy ?

- Han Solo
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 10:20:48 AM »

People approving submissions in different ways is mainly due to the schism that exists for variations in general between the staff. There are some that will approve a variation, no matter how minor the variation, while there are others that will only approve a major variation (e.g. Best Seller versions). This includes approving NFR/pack-in titles and hardware as well. As a site, we need to make an agreement to where we stop the line on some of these items, especially for consoles where variations could just be errors due to manufacturing done by hand or new molds being created (Atari 2600, I'm looking at you and your ridiculous variations like cartridge shells, manufacturing sites, and label placement/pigment). Again, I don't want to overextend a commitment to where I'm going to be bringing the site, but suffice to say that I'll be able to pander to both audiences if I find the time and energy to refactor the major issues with the site and bring it out of the dark ages.

Variation Tie-Ins automatically tie in your version of the title with the rest that have already been tied together. As long as you supply 1 ID, and it's tied with the rest, it'll tie in with the others.

For PC titles, it's usually NES_Rules or I that end up approving them, just because of the sheer amount of variations for PC and the ridiculousness of tracking down the necessary information for them. If you want, I don't mind having to handle your submissions, as long as you're willing to field oddly specific PMs about them and submit images if possible. Images make everything nicer. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 10:22:46 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 11:29:40 AM »

Thanks again.  I don't mind strange PMs as long as you don't.  I feel the conpulsion to make the PC and Computer database as accurate as possible, I I would actually appreciate them (believe it or not).  As for pictures, I can guarentee I will be submitting a ton of pics, which is made doubly easy that I mostly make PC submissions (FRAPs was the best $30 I've spent in a while).

- Han Solo
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »

yay someone else contributing to the PC database. it really needs a lot of work, last month i submitted all i could (not counting screenshots, might get to that later) for the pc games i own (around 70). it's definitely a lot more tricky to figure out which variant to submit for with PC than a lot of consoles...though i'm sure some of the older consoles are just as bad for it.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »

Sometimes it seems too hard!  After submitting for a series of games I had to dig through newsgroups postings from 1996 to prove it was released digitally!  In my mind totally worth it (my goal is to never have to look at Moby Games or Lemon64/Amiga ever again) but this makes research for early PC/Computer games nearly impossible.  Still, we strive forward and all that...

- Han Solo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length