RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:57:46 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Crytek's CEO says "Blame EA and Nintendo for no Crysis 3 on Wii U" 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Crytek's CEO says "Blame EA and Nintendo for no Crysis 3 on Wii U"  (Read 8817 times)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 02:45:14 AM »

Link-Just wondering what you are looking forward to on the U.  I've never played a Monster Hunter but I've heard it's a solid game.
Rayman Legends, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Bayonetta 2, LEGO City: Undercover, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 for me. My son would probably really like LEGO Undercover too.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
SideshowSam
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 07:48:47 AM »

A total of 8 Wii U Games will be released between now and the end of March.  14 if you count E Shop releases.

http://www.destructoid.co...ase-schedule-242578.phtml

3DS looks strong here.  Happy about that cause I actually have a 3DS and probably won't get a WiiU anytime soon.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »

Some sites are starting to post news of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as being Wii U bound. A must have title for me, also cool to see it so early in the system's life rather than the end like it was for the Wii.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 10:41:45 AM »

That would be awesome.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:08 AM »

Question

How is The Wii U a next gen console? It seems to me Nintendo has been a generation. Seems to me the Wii U is a current gen system with the 360 and PS3. It finally caught up with online, HD and storage.

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 04:56:15 PM »

Question

How is The Wii U a next gen console? It seems to me Nintendo has been a generation. Seems to me the Wii U is a current gen system with the 360 and PS3. It finally caught up with online, HD and storage.
No it uses a more modern graphics card and much more ram than PS3 or 360. Like PS3 peak is 230GFLPS Wii U is over 500. The GPU is  a GPGPU from last year. Nota GPU from 2004. It would actually cost more to make a machine only last gen specs because they would have to have every part custom made from discontinued parts from 9 years ago. Wii they at least had Gamecube chips and overclocked them. Also Go look at X. Sorry PS3 nor 360 can do that. PC but not PS3 or 360. Also it's next gen because  specs never determine the next generation in a console release. Just the fact it's a successor does. Also people seem to forget the weaker console nearly always wins the console war. Atari,NES,PSOne,PS2,GB,DS,3DS,Wii
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »

That makes sense. Thanks

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »

I read an article on Extremetech about the raw performance numbers and they seem extremely similar to "current gen" systems.

"the Wii U’s tri-core PowerPC 750-alike CPU clocks in at exactly 1.243125GHz. For comparison, the CPUs of the Xbox 360 (also tri-core) and PlayStation 3 run at around 3.0GHz each. The Wii U’s GPU core clocks in at 549.999755MHz, compared to the Xbox 360′s 550MHz GPU. He noted that the CPU was similar to the Wii’s Broadway, but with more cache."

I think that "next generation" and "state of the art" are often confused with each other.  Is the Wii U the "next generation" of Nintendo consoles?  Yes, it is the latest Nintendo console to be released.  Is the technology "state of the art"? No.  When people say "next generation", I think they are thinking of "cutting edge", "latest a greatest", "best hardware possible", "unlike anything else on the market today', etc.  Is the Wii U "state of the art"?  No.  But to be fair, no gaming console ever is.  They are machines designed to be moderately affordable and appeal to as large and broad an audience as possible.

At the end of the day, the numbers don't really mean as much to me as whether or not a console can provide a great gaming experience. 

I played the "my hardware has better numbers than your hardware" in 1995 when the 32X came out.  It could totally render more triangles per second than any other system on the market.  It had more RISCs, MIPS, and kBs than anything else, but it failed. 

All I'm saying is that hardware performance never guarantees success.

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 05:58:37 PM »

Also you can't compare a CPU from 2004 to a CPU from 2012.

A Pentium 4 at GHz is still slower than a core 2 duo at GHz. Chip design is very different.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2013, 06:01:48 PM »

Dunno where you got all your hardware faqs for the WiiU but comparing it to PS3 and 360 it looks like it is barely on par for the same system specs.

Of course they all have their own CPU and specific video card but looks like their speeds are pretty much all on par(barring PS3 and its 24,313 processors)

Also people seem to forget the weaker console nearly always wins the console war. Atari,NES,PSOne,PS2,GB,DS,3DS,Wii
2600 was the most affordable and most widely available of the systems available. It was also not the weakest of generation 1. That being said if memory serves the 2600 never actually turned a profit, 5200 was a failure and 7800 was a failure. Oh and every other atari system released... commercial failure...

NES only beat the SMS in Japan and USA. SMS won in South America, Europe, Australia

SNES beat genesis. Genny was released 2 years earlier and used chips from the 70s. SNES had chips designed specifically for it.

PSOne beat n64 because it was supported AND affordable unlike every other system that came out during this generation

PS2 now an established brand and most powerful console until the upstart Xbox was released a year later.

GB-3DS Oh hey look at all those over priced, undersupported and/or weaker handhelds that tried to claw out an existence!

Wii - Uhhhh last gen was a sad 3way tie. Wii being to paraphrase "a tweaked gamecube with motion controls that people still bought gamecube controllers to use", PS3 being a bluray player and 360 being propped up by online gameplay.

EDIT
Also it should be obvious that a slim 360 and a launch 360 will have some different hardware in them. The same for launch and slim PS3 and many of the other minor revisions consoles undergo throughout their life cycles.
Hell i had 2 atomic purple GBCs and you could clearly see(since it was that seethrough gatorady color) that the chips were different.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:07:31 PM by Izret101 » Logged

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2013, 06:40:18 PM »

Overall sales the NES beat it and Atari was dead by then. Atari even said way back when 7800 was not meant as a direct competitor but a budget console.

And yes Wii U is very much above 360/PS3. ADO any actual research and you would know. While I know SHadow works at EA my best buddy works at R* so he also gives me insight. Mostly it's been reading heavy on the system and it has had a tear down the GPU is based on the e6760 hd. Also good luck running X from Monolith on 360 or PS3.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2013, 06:41:16 PM »

WiiU definitely has a lot more RAM to play with and the games that are currently available on the system are launch titles - do you remember how bad a lot of the launch titles were for the Xbox 360 and PS3? Many of those titles were developed against an API and system that was yet to finalize, and they look similar to current games being released on Xbox 360 and PS3, so give the WiiU time to mature before passing final judgement on it. The real comparison will come once the next generation of consoles have all been released.

With that being said, there are likely other reasons why Crysis 3 isn't being released on WiiU. I can't think that the developers would just do a straight port with the main control scheme being completely different from all of the other platforms. Another thing to consider is that, in the past, certain titles weren't released due to lack or polish or lack of profit margin, when the money being invested could be better used on another project.

WiiU hasn't shown strong sales figures quite yet, and I'm not aware of any attachment rate statistics that have been publicized, but it seems like the level of audience just may not be there for Crysis 3 to be published on WiiU. Perhaps it will be shelved and brought up again when the WiiU shows that it has the hardcore audience needed for Crysis 3, or maybe even get a new release like FarCry Instincts did.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 07:01:35 PM »

How is this more complex than the fact that they got the Crytek engine running on the Wii U? That could have been done for various reasons aside from getting the game on there. It could be used to see how powerful the console is in an environment they already have experience in to plan for other games.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »

Apparently Crytek had the game engine running on Wii U without a hitch and at the last minute the plug was pulled.

http://wiiudaily.com/2013...-wii-u-and-its-eas-fault/

The article states that the engine was running on WiiU - not that the game was almost complete. You can get an engine running and be missing most of the gameplay.

How is this more complex than the fact that they got the Crytek engine running on the Wii U? That could have been done for various reasons aside from getting the game on there. It could be used to see how powerful the console is in an environment they already have experience in to plan for other games.

Crytek just bought the Homefront IP from THQ, which includes Homefront 2. I wonder what they could do with it...maybe toss it into the Crytek engine that is now running on WiiU?

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »

The WiiU is definitely a next-generation console, but I believe it will end up like the Wii with regards to it's horsepower.  The PS4 and Xbox 720 are set to be released within a year and a half, and all signs point to those consoles being more powerful than the WiiU.

Granted, numbers mean nothing unless they're utilized correctly.  I will likely eventually buy every console at some point, so I have no preference either way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length