RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:19:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Controller cabinet of shame - organizing controllers 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Controller cabinet of shame - organizing controllers  (Read 8494 times)
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »

I couldn't take it any more so I ran to Target, got some more plastic drawers and viola!

SideshowSam
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »

Glad it turned out well, Moose.

* IMG_20130115_230027.jpg (29.46 KB, 300x400 - viewed 199 times.)
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 01:27:03 AM »

Man, I gotta do something like that. Mine are just under the couch on a storage bin lid...well, easy access if nothing else.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 04:29:06 AM »

i should probably find a different method to store my controllers...they barely fit in the  drawers they're in, and i have the cables wrapped around them like everyone here said they shouldn't be XD
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »

Yeah, the peg board method is pretty easy.  Just be sure that you anchor it well into the wall (you don't have to go nuts, simple plastic anchors are fine if they are spaced out).  Also make sure that that your spacers between the board in the wall are long enough to accommodate the hooks for the hangers to go in with ease.  Also, be sure to use washers under your screws.  Pegboard is not an extremely durable material and this will offer some protection from the holes stripping out.  Good luck if you go that route.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »

...uhh, yeah...
ONE UP THIS, MOOSE!   Grin

Nice NeoGeo cab back there Shadow.  Does it have the headphone jack?  I thought about getting a multicade of classic games for my garage, but I think I'll get a Neo first.  Such great titles on it and you can swap them out fairly reasonably. 

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »

Yep, it has a headphone jack and memory card slots. I've told the story before, but my cabinet has never seen an arcade before. It was purchased direct from SNK from a distributor, but was never rented out. One of my wife's co-workers purchased it, and we got it from him for $250. It needs some restoration work on the side panels, and I need to reconnect the 2nd controller since something came loose during the move.

He was nice enough to include a multicart with the cabinet, which has most of the NeoGeo library on it including romhacks. That would be my suggestion if you don't want to get the expensive MVS carts to start off with.

...back on topic, does anyone think the magnet idea would work well? Can anyone think of any controllers that it would damage? I'd prefer not to hang them on hooks, personally.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:59:03 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »

Nice grab man, I somehow missed you ever talking about this purchase.

The only thing about the magnet idea that would concern me is that you would have to put adhesive magnets on the backs of your controllers, which I wouldn't want to do to mine. The sticky on those is usually pretty strong and I would worry about damage if I ever took them off and they might give the controller a different "feel" in some cases.  Was there another way you were thinking about to attach the magnets?

SideshowSam
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 01:29:47 PM »

The sticky on those is usually pretty strong and I would worry about damage if I ever took them off and they might give the controller a different "feel" in some cases.  Was there another way you were thinking about to attach the magnets?

That would be my concern as well, if there was a way the magnet would be obstructive and I wouldn't worry about the adhesive I think it could be pretty cool.  It would have to be a pretty strong magnet too, I'd bet.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »

Even if you use a magnet on the controller, the cords would still flop around.  Still a cool idea if you can find some way to make it work.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »

i like the practicality of the peg board idea, but visually i don't like it at all...i usually like to have everything look neat and livable, so that friends could come over and not feel like they're in a store or a workshop. for myself i think i just need to get better drawers, i've seen some really wide ones at walmart recently that would do the trick, that way i wouldn't have to pile the controllers on top of each other, they could be laid out side by side.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 05:30:31 PM »

i like the practicality of the peg board idea, but visually i don't like it at all...i usually like to have everything look neat and livable, so that friends could come over and not feel like they're in a store or a workshop. for myself i think i just need to get better drawers, i've seen some really wide ones at walmart recently that would do the trick, that way i wouldn't have to pile the controllers on top of each other, they could be laid out side by side.

You'd think that, but it fails very quickly.

SideshowSam
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »

You'd think that, but it fails very quickly.

Especially if you're like me, and you pick up any 25 cent NES controller at a garage sale.  Even if you already have 15.  I mean, who can pass by a deal!  Besides I might wanna try my hand at making a wireless one one day and it'll help to have some practice ones I can mess up.
Kabonk
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 08:34:33 PM »

...uhh, yeah...
ONE UP THIS, MOOSE!   Grin

I feel your pain

[img width=375 height=500]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8211/8362232903_23ece7e520.jpg[/img]
IMG_20130105_110532 by kabonk, on Flickr

[img width=500 height=375]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8363299344_c7524845db.jpg[/img]
IMG_20130105_110526 by kabonk, on Flickr

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Kabonk.png[/img]
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 11:24:37 PM »

i'm glad i have no room of shame, those all look almost like a hoarder's rooms Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length