RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:33:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Games in common with others 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Games in common with others  (Read 1778 times)
vahnx
Tiger Gizmondo

Canada

Stats
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:18:16 PM »

I just found this site the other day while searching for exactly this, a place online to index my collection. Since this site has all our data, I think it would be a good idea to have a a feature where users can "opt in" and be able to search for users with similar interests. ie: someone who has a high percentage of games in common. Not to be all stalkery (that's why it would be opt in) but I think it would be a great feature. Apologies if it has been suggested before.
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »

The problem with your idea is that most of the hardcore collectors here have a high amount of games of...everything. So they would all have the same interests.

"I'm looking for people who have a lot of action/adventure games!"

Result: 99% of people on this site.

Tongue
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:59:59 PM »

It is sorta kinda a feature now but not as userfriendly.
You can see who anygame so long as they have made their collection public.
If they have their collection set to private you cannot see that they own game X.

I know not exactly what you were going for with the idea but as Sirgin pointed out due to the shear number of games many of us own it would certainly return false results. Plus i don't think most people here collect exclusively for games they really enjoy.

Barracuda over the last few years has started selling off everything he doesn't enjoy playing but he is the only member i can think of off the top of my head who has specifically mentioned only wanting to own games he will actually play. I know there are more but i would assume they are in the minority.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:45:57 AM »

It is sorta kinda a feature now but not as userfriendly.
You can see who anygame so long as they have made their collection public.
If they have their collection set to private you cannot see that they own game X.

I know not exactly what you were going for with the idea but as Sirgin pointed out due to the shear number of games many of us own it would certainly return false results. Plus i don't think most people here collect exclusively for games they really enjoy.

Barracuda over the last few years has started selling off everything he doesn't enjoy playing but he is the only member i can think of off the top of my head who has specifically mentioned only wanting to own games he will actually play. I know there are more but i would assume they are in the minority.

i've seen a couple new members say something about collecting only what they want to play, don't remember any names off the top of my head either. of course that's how it always starts...it never ends that way.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:46 AM »

I've been weaning my way towards collecting only what I want to play.  I'm down to less than 500 games from 1500.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 12:52:30 AM »

i would find that so difficult to do, because besides a handful of games there are a lot in my collection that even though i don't play now, i could see myself enjoying if i put in some effort into them.
vahnx
Tiger Gizmondo

Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 08:20:37 AM »

I can understand for hardcore collectors how pointless a feature it would be, but in my case I've just been purchasing games I used to own as a child. It would be nice to be able to click a button/set a percentage to say 90% and see if anyone out there has similar interests. Although if they happen to be hardcore and just happen to have most of my games, it would be pointless. At that point maybe some checkbox option could be used that goes, "if they have a large collection then do not display".
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:45:55 PM »

i think what everyone above meant is that nearly everyone on here has a large collection though. there are also a lot of people who probably don't have up to date collection lists. it's not a bad idea but just might not be too useful on RFG. another alternative is you could look though the RFG archives section of the Video Game Generation forum. there are lots of posts where people list their favourite games for each system, you could find people with similar interests that way.
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »

i think what everyone above meant is that nearly everyone on here has a large collection though. there are also a lot of people who probably don't have up to date collection lists. it's not a bad idea but just might not be too useful on RFG. another alternative is you could look though the RFG archives section of the Video Game Generation forum. there are lots of posts where people list their favourite games for each system, you could find people with similar interests that way.

Yes, I've done exactly that to see what others tend to gravitate towards. I personally am one of those who collects only what I will play. I just don't have the resources to hunt down every NES game or Super Famicon games released in 1994. I keep it a little more specific; i.e. all Legend of Zelda games.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length