RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:10:02 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | Episode 13 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Episode 13  (Read 15706 times)
MrFrumble
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 08:27:04 AM »

Wow, thanks for a podcast that only some hardcore nerds could love!

I currently do all of my gaming on a 32" Sony Wega Flat CRT. It is a great (big) 480i beast that I picked up cheap but required two of us to move. One strange thing that I encountered with this TV was that the video coming from my Model 1 Genesis would only show as black and white on the TV. This was via the composite (straight from the Genesis or via the 32X) and the RF. I tested the console on various other displays and it was fine and other consoles worked fine on this TV (except strangely a TRS-80 Coco which also would only display as black and white.) I spent hours trying to figure out the problem assuming that it had something to do with signal cleaning filters that were too aggressive. I never found an answer to the problem.

However, it did lead me down the path of RGB. I ordered an RGB SCART cable and a RGB to Component Transcoder. This works beautifully and I have really never seen the Genesis look so good. My PS2 and XBOX are connected via Component also. My Saturn/Dreamcast/SNES/N64/Gamecube via S-Video and NES via Composite. I manage to have all of these connected simultaneously via a Pelican System Selector Pro and the built in TV inputs.

I figure I will get an HDTV for that room when I get a PS3 or XBOX 360 someday but I'm in no rush.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »

I haven't finished the podcast yet, but I picked up Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland from GameDealDaily.  It is a European import.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 09:00:29 PM »

Wow, thanks for a podcast that only some hardcore nerds could love!

I currently do all of my gaming on a 32" Sony Wega Flat CRT. It is a great (big) 480i beast that I picked up cheap but required two of us to move. One strange thing that I encountered with this TV was that the video coming from my Model 1 Genesis would only show as black and white on the TV. This was via the composite (straight from the Genesis or via the 32X) and the RF. I tested the console on various other displays and it was fine and other consoles worked fine on this TV (except strangely a TRS-80 Coco which also would only display as black and white.) I spent hours trying to figure out the problem assuming that it had something to do with signal cleaning filters that were too aggressive. I never found an answer to the problem.

However, it did lead me down the path of RGB. I ordered an RGB SCART cable and a RGB to Component Transcoder. This works beautifully and I have really never seen the Genesis look so good. My PS2 and XBOX are connected via Component also. My Saturn/Dreamcast/SNES/N64/Gamecube via S-Video and NES via Composite. I manage to have all of these connected simultaneously via a Pelican System Selector Pro and the built in TV inputs.

I figure I will get an HDTV for that room when I get a PS3 or XBOX 360 someday but I'm in no rush.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! We're certainly some hardcore nerds, but I'm sure everyone knew that by now.

It sounds like you've got a great tube there, but I'm trying to think of why you would have that issue with the Genesis and the CoCo. Perhaps someone else could chime in. I'd like to know in case I ever run across such an issue.

I am glad to heat that it lead you down the RGB path. I've considered trying such a setup, but with the HDMI NES and the Retron 5 on the way, maybe that will be a different path.

Episodes like this give me a chance to geek out for a bit, but I'm sure we'll be returning to good ol' gaming soon enough.

I haven't finished the podcast yet, but I picked up Freshly Picked: Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland from GameDealDaily.  It is a European import.

So the question is, are you going to open and play it? Wink

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »

It turns out I'm in the market for a new TV. It would be for watching movies and playing modern games. Based on what I learned from the podcast I think I'd like to go for an LED. Any recommendations as to what I should buy? LED or LCD?

Thanks guys!

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »

By LED I'm guessing you mean an LCD set with LED backlighting. I think Bil mentioned it in the show, but look for a model that is truly backlit by LEDs, not lit from the side.

If you are asking me for my opinion? I still like the Sony XBR line. LED backlit, local dimming, nice contrast ratio. These suckers aren't the cheapest, but to save money watch for when the new model is about to be released, and then scoop up the last version floor model when they are trying to move them out.

My LCD and CRT are both XBR sets, and I've been really happy with the quality of both. I'll let the other guys chime in with their favorites.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »

Typically when I see the Black & White output, it's due to an unsupported format (e.g. PAL/NTSC mismatch) or broken pins. Just a thought.

understatement
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »

Typically when I see the Black & White output, it's due to an unsupported format (e.g. PAL/NTSC mismatch) or broken pins. Just a thought.

Yea, but wouldn’t that mean it would display black & white on every TV?

I have a SNES that does the same thing black & white on some TVs and fine on others. I’ll see if I can dig it out and get some snap shots of it.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 04:21:07 PM »

With something like the SNES, I'd be curious if you have the same issue on the same TV if using S-video as well.

understatement
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »

With something like the SNES, I'd be curious if you have the same issue on the same TV if using S-video as well.
Yep, same thing but it has a sharper B&W picture. laugh

The first picture is my main TV for old school games a 19" round tube Phillips all I did was unhook the SNES I use and plugged this one in with the Monster s-video cable.

The second picture is some POS off-brand 6" (I think) with some off-brand A/V cord.

Just so nothing can be said I plugged the off-brand A/V cord right into the front of the Phillips.

MrFrumble
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 08:23:22 AM »

Yeah, that looks like my experience with the Genesis. Although, I do remember that if I wiggled the RF connector plugged in the Genesis repeatedly, I could sometimes get the color to 'catch'. However, it was difficult to do and would be gone if you power off and on the unit. I don't remember the composite working like this.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »

My RF connector would do that since it was constantly hanging, and the hanging bent part of it to the point where I had to find something to rest it on in order to prevent it from losing connection. If this were S-Video, there are two cables that control the video - one's color, the other one's Brightness and Contrast. I'd blame the color portion of it. However, Understatement's picture shows a general problem with a particular TV, in which case I would possibly blame the impedence.

understatement
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »

Hey, there's no reason to bring my impudence into this! Wink HaHa, but seriously I came to about the same conclusions and checked for blown caps and reflowed everything that I know of in the video circuit but no caps appear to be bad and I don't have a reflow station so it was done one pin at a time so I might have missed something. I'd wager something like a full cap/resistor replacement and/or reflow would probably fix it but I just don't have the time for all that.

Johnny Nintendo
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »

Just got done listening to the podcast.  Very informative and awesome, great work guys!  Thanks for mentioning me on the small scores thread and including  me as the biggest score (a couple of kids), although at the moment I feel like trading them for a couple of arcade cabs.  Just kidding.....  And no, their names aren't Silent and Service.  Their names are Tiger and Heli.....

Looking for CIB NES games..........even Silent Service.
I once made the mistake of smelling a NES cart.  Man, the last guy that blew in it must have had bad breath, because it smelled like a sack full of assholes.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it! I'm sure you're probably getting a chance to experience the wonders of no sleep... ahhh, ain't parenthood grand? Nice choice with the name, but you could have thrown a Duke in there.

Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »

Just got done listening to the podcast.  Very informative and awesome, great work guys!  Thanks for mentioning me on the small scores thread and including  me as the biggest score (a couple of kids), although at the moment I feel like trading them for a couple of arcade cabs.  Just kidding.....  And no, their names aren't Silent and Service.  Their names are Tiger and Heli.....

LMAO

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length