RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:01:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Recommend me a new TV series to watch 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Recommend me a new TV series to watch  (Read 7233 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« on: April 16, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »

I need a new TV show to get into, preferably one that is still on the air, but has been on for a few seasons and is available for download. It should also be from within the last 10 years or so, I don't really want to go back to watch really old stuff. I guess I'd prefer something that's drama/action but I'm not really picky. I'm basically looking to fill in the gaps of "shows that everyone needs to watch in their lifetime". So just list some shows that you think I should have watched.

Shows already recommended (roughly in order of how interested I am in them):
The Wire
Dexter
Boardwalk Empire

Game of Thrones
Deadwood
Weeds
Community
Spartacus
Shameless
Downtown Abbey
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Twin Peaks
Battlestar Galactica
Psych!
Prison Break

Shows that I've already watched or am currently watching:
Breaking Bad
American Horror Story
Walking Dead
Rescue Me
Freaks & Geeks
Hell on Wheels
Bob's Burgers
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:48:52 PM by NES_Rules » Logged

moonraker_fats
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:31:49 PM »

Well, Parks and Recreation has 4 seasons on Netflix and is hilarious.  Breaking Bad is on Netflix too and is really good.  We just watched the first season of Homeland and it was pretty amazing, though its the only season out.  Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire are two really good HBO shows with a few seasons under their belt.  That's what we've been watching lately in the moonraker household.  If you haven't watched a lot from the last ten years or so, Netflix is totally worth the $9 a month...tons of shows on there.

[img width=95 height=39]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/RFGmicrobar01.gif[/img]
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:41:11 PM »

Well, Parks and Recreation has 4 seasons on Netflix and is hilarious.  Breaking Bad is on Netflix too and is really good.  We just watched the first season of Homeland and it was pretty amazing, though its the only season out.  Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire are two really good HBO shows with a few seasons under their belt.  That's what we've been watching lately in the moonraker household.  If you haven't watched a lot from the last ten years or so, Netflix is totally worth the $9 a month...tons of shows on there.
Already watch Breaking Bad. And I should mention I'd prefer shows that aren't on premium cable (HBO, Showtime, etc) since I don't have those channels and won't be able to keep up on them. And Netflix isn't really an option for me, my internet just isn't fast enough to stream anything.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »

Boardwalk Empire is worth tracking down the DVDs, or maybe some strange internet thing called a torrential or something. Fantastic show.

Deadwood is another good HBO series. It has been done for years and only has 3 seasons, so it should be a quick romp.

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »

American Horror Story, Mad Men, Spartacus, and of course the Walking Dead.

monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:41:01 AM »

Rescue Me, Prison Break was an ok show

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 02:46:02 AM »

i've heard good things about Breaking Bad and Mad Men. this one isn't on air anymore but i highly recommend Battlestar Galactica (the reimagined one). i've heard some fanboys of the original rage at it, but i never watched the original and absolutely love the new one. great drama, well acted, good sci-fi action, amazing soundtrack. all around a great show.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »

I second Game of Thrones and I've heard good things about Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead as well. I know you are looking for something still on the air, but if you're open to some that are not, check out The Wire, Twin Peaks, and Freaks & Geeks.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »

Psych! It's a detective type of show that is also quite funny.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »

As far as stuff that's still going that I give the time of day (also I'm going to belay your no premium channel show request, those channels are what have made TV worth watching over movies):

Dexter (first few seasons are good, haven't kept up with it since, however)
Weeds (same, I haven't kept up with after first four or five seasons)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (great comedy in the vein of Seinfeld, just more absurd)
Shameless (the US version, I haven't gotten into the UK one)
Downton Abbey (PBS!)
Hell on Wheels (AMC)
Community was good until this season
Bob's Burgers is actually really funny.
Breaking Bad but you've seen it...
Game of Thrones is worth watching.

I don't understand the Walking Dead appeal, there's only been about two good episodes. No one can present to me a viable argument as to how it's not just terribly written slop. Mad Men I've not gotten into, tried a couple times but it starts slow I guess.

There's more than enough off air TV to keep you occupied for a good while, though I understand wanting to have something to look forward too.

When shall his new form be revealed?
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »

Some good suggestions so far. I've updated my first post with a list of what's been suggested and what I've already seen.

I don't understand the Walking Dead appeal, there's only been about two good episodes. No one can present to me a viable argument as to how it's not just terribly written slop. Mad Men I've not gotten into, tried a couple times but it starts slow I guess.
I don't get why people keep saying the writing on Walking Dead is terrible, I think the problem is that there have been so many bad zombie movies that a lot of stuff in the show seems cliche and the really good stuff goes unnoticed.
And Mad Men does take a long time to get into, I think it was somewhere in season 2 or 3 that I really got into it. The show just throws so many characters and so many back stories at you at once that its somewhat hard to care about any of the characters. 

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »

Some good suggestions so far. I've updated my first post with a list of what's been suggested and what I've already seen.

I don't get why people keep saying the writing on Walking Dead is terrible, I think the problem is that there have been so many bad zombie movies that a lot of stuff in the show seems cliche and the really good stuff goes unnoticed.
And Mad Men does take a long time to get into, I think it was somewhere in season 2 or 3 that I really got into it. The show just throws so many characters and so many back stories at you at once that its somewhat hard to care about any of the characters. 

Hell, the writing is tolerable. It's more the pacing and character development that suck. You have DOZENS of episodes where there is very little action, and yet they don't develop the characters AT ALL. No one is very likable except for their badassery. Some mild spoilers to follow:

The one OK episode this season was when Michonne, Rick, and Carl went back to the hometown and ran into Morgan. You had a great blend of action, intimacy, and meaningful character building conversation. You saw in Morgan what Rick could become if he lost Carl, you saw Carl thinking about the future, and lots more, it was a great episode. The entirety of the rest of the season, however, was building up to this war with the Govenor which, in the end DIDN'T EVEN AMOUNT TO ANYTHING INTERESTING.

moonraker_fats
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 12:04:06 AM »

The Wire is definitely a great place to start! If you like cop drama, I also highly recommend The Shield...the first season is a bit corny, and it got flubbed up a little because of the writers' strike that happened, but for me it was the first show that I just wanted to watch episode after episode.

[img width=95 height=39]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/RFGmicrobar01.gif[/img]
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 03:09:01 PM »

The Wire is the best TV drama. It takes a few episodes to get into but dayum, let it ride.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »

I'll throw in another recommendation for The Wire.

MCNULTY GET YOUR ASS IN HERE!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length