RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:59:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Now can we declare certain victory for PSP? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Now can we declare certain victory for PSP?  (Read 10112 times)
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 01:14:22 PM »

How is it being CD based going to hurt sales?
It is definately going to have an increased profit over the Carts in profit.
CDs are cheaper to make are they not?

Plus i don't think scratched CDs are going to be that big of a deal anymore than smashing a cartridge would.

Dropping a CD will scratch it dropping a cart does nothing to the cart. I know I wouldnt buy a young child a CD based handheld.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 01:32:46 PM »

BUM BUM BUMMMMMM

You have answered your own question then.
The CDs will not scratch if your kid is carful and if you don't think he/she is don't get this for them.
I can honestly say i have dropped CDs before and they did not get scratched.On rugs, concreate, sand, nearly every type of surface you can think of walking on.(Some on purose poor AOL CDs)
It doesn't scratch unless dragged.

It is more of a personal thing than an age thing.
If you don't think you can handle CDs yet don't get the PSP but don't foot your bad CD idea onto kids Tongue

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2005, 01:41:30 PM »

Don't you have a little brother? Kids suck with videogames. They will find countless ways to wreck the pretty little discs. More ways than you can possibly imagine.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2005, 01:55:27 PM »

My little bro is 13(ish)
We got a Playstation in 97(ish) which made him... uhhh.. carry the 1... 6-7(ish).
Never once did he mess up a disk.

I know a little kid who had a PS when he was 5 (probably younger). None of his CDs got scratched(well yes they did but none were damaging).
I have a friend who is my age. Takes terrible care of his CDs and DVDs most of them get bad scratches.
It is more of a person thng than an age thing.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2005, 06:10:29 PM »

I gotta agree with Terz. My nephew was only like 10 or 11 when I got him a shitload of games (and his first import) and he took damn good care of his stuff (and still does). My 23 year old little bro on the other hand.. I lent him my PSX games and when I finally got them back they were all sticky and covered in dryed-on soda. Pretty much tarred and feathered with that and bits of tobacco, dust, and lint. It was -really- gross. There were also some cases without disks, scratched disks, and missing inserts.

Still though it is a lot more possible for a child to mess up a disk than an adult with all screws intact. If you're talkin bout someone like my bro though, forget it!

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »

I lent a guy my copy of halo *cough*Colton*cough* with no scratches, the case had no damage, and the manual had no bends.  When I got it back the disk was scratched to hell (almost unusable), the manual had bent and ripped pages, and the case was covered in sticky stuff (I hope it was pop).

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2005, 09:13:55 PM »

I'm sure people said all this when CD systems started to become the norm - this never really proved to be a problem.  Printed CDs are generally very durable, and if the PSP has a good laser (which is better, Sony) then this really won't be an issue.  However, a CD does mean more storage, and I'm afraid these games will be over complicated.  I own a DS, a GBA, PDA with emulators, etc. etc.  The Neo Geo Pocket Colour gets the most play BY FAR because, if you're like me, you only use the thing while on the can and you can't justify paying $30+ on a game you'll play for, well, however long it takes you to take care of bidness.  Smiley  Plus, the games are SIMPLE.  

The whole PSP premise just seems a little silly to me.  While I'm sure it will sell great a first because of Sony's loyal following (yes, I will be a PSP owner), it will eventually disappear into obscurity with all the other high-end portables starting with the Turbo Express, ending most recently with the Zodiacs and N-Gages, etc.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2005, 09:16:22 PM »

BUM BUM BUMMMMMM

You have answered your own question then.
The CDs will not scratch if your kid is carful and if you don't think he/she is don't get this for them.
I can honestly say i have dropped CDs before and they did not get scratched.On rugs, concreate, sand, nearly every type of surface you can think of walking on.(Some on purose poor AOL CDs)
It doesn't scratch unless dragged.

It is more of a personal thing than an age thing.
If you don't think you can handle CDs yet don't get the PSP but don't foot your bad CD idea onto kids Tongue

Oh I am sorry kid!

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2005, 09:19:14 PM »

My little bro is 13(ish)
We got a Playstation in 97(ish) which made him... uhhh.. carry the 1... 6-7(ish).
Never once did he mess up a disk.

I know a little kid who had a PS when he was 5 (probably younger). None of his CDs got scratched(well yes they did but none were damaging).
I have a friend who is my age. Takes terrible care of his CDs and DVDs most of them get bad scratches.
It is more of a person thng than an age thing.

I agree with you on a home console. But when  kid throws the game into his/her backback in a hurry at the bus stop it has a better chance of getting scratched.

What kind of mivies doe sit play?

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2005, 03:53:21 AM »

What happened with CDs compared to Tapes when they came out?
How many parents are buying (even 5+ years ago) were still buying their kids a Tapedeck rather than CD player because they did not want the CDs to get messed up?

There is simple logic behind it. If the kids want it their parents are going to getit for them or not.
The reasons are not going to be the type of media it uses but price, are they old enough(this is paretnt to parent descision), will they get in trouble with it (bringing it to school is a perfect example here).

And what do you mean what kind of movies does what play?
The PSP?
This is the only movie i even know having rumors about coming out on PSP. Although there will probably be others.
http://www.lik-sang.com/l...sub&category=312&

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2005, 08:17:41 AM »

The way I understand it, the PSP should be able to play the usual formats (AVI, MPEG, prolly Real). Data cable + pc = new friend.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
shadytool
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2005, 08:36:32 AM »

its also getting these four movies:
XXX
Hellboy
Resident Evil II
Once Upon A Time in Mexico

source:  http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4354

These four titles will be released on April 19 with additional titles to be released monthly thereafter. This presumably means new Sony titles to be released monthly.

shadytool
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2005, 08:48:14 AM »

The UMD comes in a plastic case that protects its surface from scratches, and you can't take the disk out of the case. So when you insert the UMD into the PSP, you'll be sticking it in with its whole plastic case altogether. One thing you'll have to be careful though, is that there's a gap on the case so that the PSP can read the optical disk inside. You can damage your disk if you scratch it from that opening.  

concerning scratching a UMD and its plastic case.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2005, 11:07:07 AM »

Yeah I thought those things came with a plastic case around them.  I really don't think the scratching thing will be an issue at all.

As for it being the next N-Gage, Turbo Express, or Zodiac, I don't think so.  The major differences here are name brand and marketing muscle.  There's just a small gap between what Sony can do with a handheld like this and what NEC or Tapwave can do, companies that 99% of the general public has never even heard of.  And pretending that doesn't matter, like with Nokia (since people do know of them), the PlayStation brand name is HUGE.  And Sony has millions upon millions to pump into it, plus their other divisions (music, movies, etc.) to use to their advantage....  which NEC, Tapwave, and Nokia did not.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2005, 12:33:33 PM »

Well it sounds like their is going to be some very nice competition going on during this bout of handgelds.
Lets see how long it is before Nintendo looses its footing everywhere.
Nintendo is definately going to put up one hell of a fight to say the least.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length