RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:50:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Now can we declare certain victory for PSP? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Now can we declare certain victory for PSP?  (Read 10121 times)
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »

What happened with CDs compared to Tapes when they came out?
How many parents are buying (even 5+ years ago) were still buying their kids a Tapedeck rather than CD player because they did not want the CDs to get messed up?

And what do you mean what kind of movies does what play?
The PSP?

I dont kbnow to many kids that are into msic that much and have portable CD players. And when i say kids I am talking about 6-10 year olds.

I thought the PSP was a movie player as weel. I was wondering if you could load movies onto it.

I can really care less how the DS or the PS do. I don't play handhelds at all.  I dont play on getting either of them. Hell i don't even have a GBA.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2005, 07:22:30 PM »

The only reason I care is that if Nintendo loses the handheld market, it will lose the ability to produce consoles very quickly, unless something huge changes.  I don't play handhelds either, but I do care how they do because they are the sole reason Nintendo even put out the GameCube, and continue to support it.  I don't want Sony and Microsoft to be the only console producers out there.

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2005, 08:05:10 PM »

plus their other divisions (music, movies, etc.) to use to their advantage....  which NEC, Tapwave, and Nokia did not.

No no no, you're not getting it.  NEC is a huge electronics company with many divisions.  And I don't know if you remember, but at one point the PC Engine (TG16) was the most popular system in Japan (late eighties, early nineties).

The only difference between what happened then and now, is Sony has a much larger US fan base than NEC ever did.  The PG Engine GT sold pretty well in Japan, but only lasted a handful of years, not a decade like the gameboy.  

The PC Engine GT played console games.  I still maintain this is why it failed, and is why the PSP will ultimately fail.  Why spend 20 hours playing GTA on the PSP, when you can sit in your comfortable arm chair with surround sound and play the thing on a much bigger screen?  Most of the time people will be playing the thing when on the bus, on the crapper, etc.  I'm talkiing like 10-20 minutes at a time.  It's very important to keep in mind that nobody here is the "typical" gamer.  You might rock a PSP game for 3 hours at a time, but I will bet good money the average consumer will have no desire to do so.  I will also wager the DS won't do nearly as well as it's predecessors, but better than the PSP in the long run because of GBA backward compatability.

We have to step back and look at what was so successful on the Gameboy(s): Warioware, Tetris and other puzzlers, platformers with saves at the end of each level, pokemon for the kids, etc. etc.  Most definetely NOT your typical modern day console games.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »

It seems to me that a racegame is perfect for a handheld. You can do 1 race, save it, and get out of the bus. Besides, Zelda did pretty great on the DS too, and that's hardly a game you can play for 10 minutes and then put away.
NESJunkie
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2005, 06:22:46 AM »

Back to the GTA topic quick, does anyone else realize that GTA is already on a handheld, and it sold for shit! The gba has a version already and nobody wants a pint sized gta, they want it big screen. So to say that it will be a force for PSP i disagree, but FFVII now thats another story.

I was the 13th member to join this site. My parents were married on Friday the 13th. I was married on the 13th. Feeling lucky?

Here is a link to my profile on VAPS. I am mainly an arcade collector now. http://www.vaps.org/membe...tail.php?member_id=381193
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2005, 07:24:41 AM »

But GTA on GBA was not like the GTA that people had come to know.
it was more like STA and GTA2 with the top down perspective.

I don't know if the GTA on PSP is going to be the same way or if it is going to be more like GTA:3,VC & SA. Time will tell

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2005, 11:47:30 AM »

No no no, you're not getting it.  NEC is a huge electronics company with many divisions.  And I don't know if you remember, but at one point the PC Engine (TG16) was the most popular system in Japan (late eighties, early nineties).

Yes, NEC is, but being able to make great monitors is hardly going to help as much with a video game console as Sony's music and movies divisions will help them with PSP and what they plan to do with it.  If nobody makes movies for PSP, SOny still can, and they have tons of stuff to release.  If Sony wants to release music albums on their discs, they can do that too.  If they sell well, other companies will follow suit.  NEC is a huge company, yes.  They have many divisions, yes.  Still, few people know about them or care about them because they make stuff that isn't nearly as noticeable as Sony's products.

As for the PC Engine, you're absolutely right.  In Japan, a lot of things happen.  The WonderSwan actually sells well, and the Saturn didn't suck there.  It's crazier than the Twilight Zone.  I'm not saying the PC Engine is by any means a bad console, but the difference (as you also said) is that Sony also has a huge base already in the USA, and in Japan, and in Europe, and pretty much everywhere.  That's a big difference if you ask me.

Don' get me wrong - I really like NEC.  I just know that the PSP will be a lot different than anything NEC ever put out in terms of financial success.

The PC Engine GT played console games.  I still maintain this is why it failed, and is why the PSP will ultimately fail.  Why spend 20 hours playing GTA on the PSP, when you can sit in your comfortable arm chair with surround sound and play the thing on a much bigger screen?  Most of the time people will be playing the thing when on the bus, on the crapper, etc.  I'm talkiing like 10-20 minutes at a time.  It's very important to keep in mind that nobody here is the "typical" gamer.  You might rock a PSP game for 3 hours at a time, but I will bet good money the average consumer will have no desire to do so.  I will also wager the DS won't do nearly as well as it's predecessors, but better than the PSP in the long run because of GBA backward compatability.

We have to step back and look at what was so successful on the Gameboy(s): Warioware, Tetris and other puzzlers, platformers with saves at the end of each level, pokemon for the kids, etc. etc.  Most definetely NOT your typical modern day console games.

OD

Excellent points.  One thing that is probably a little different now though is that these games will be developed for a handheld system.  Sure, some of them may require more playtime, but some of the small things that make a TurboExpress or Nomad not as cool won't be problems here.  With those consoles, reading menus and scores, or even seeing what's going on is nearly impossible since the game's visuals were designed for a large screen, rather than the small portable one.  This won't be a problem for PSP.  

Also, many of those console games had no way to save, so when you only play one race or a level or two, there's no way to start where you left off.  Think about how much worse a NGPC would be without the internal battery save feature.  Metal Slug would still be great on it, but it's a lot better since it was designed to work with a handheld.  This kind of thing (which PSP will have in one way or another I assume) will help those games with many hours of gameplay be a lot better on a handheld.

You're right in one respect that developers could definitely go overboard with this thing.  I do think though that the thing will still sell well because some of the problems with the Nomads and Turbo Expresses of the world won't be existent here, and Sony has a big userbase that will buy anything with the name Sony on it, regardless of whether or not it sucks.

Back to the GTA topic quick, does anyone else realize that GTA is already on a handheld, and it sold for shit! The gba has a version already and nobody wants a pint sized gta, they want it big screen. So to say that it will be a force for PSP i disagree, but FFVII now thats another story.

Yeah, I know about this.  There were also GTA games on GameBoy Color.  They suck.  I really doubt that the announcement of GTA for PSP means they are making another 2D GTA with SNES graphics.  Remember, this thing can put out graphics on par with a PS2.  I fully suspect this new GTA to be 3D, like GTA3, Vice City, or San Andreas.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's what will be coming out.  If so, it's a big deal.  If it's 2D, Rockstar is stupid.

Nintendo Psycho
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2005, 03:33:46 AM »

GTA is nothing but hype and the PSP sucks anway. You go around as some goofball who shoots up everything... wow. I f I wanted that I'd play Contra which is much more fun. As for the PSP, its a rip-off of the Nintendo DS!

[img width=400 height=299]http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/rush_2604.jpg[/img]

The best band.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2005, 05:37:52 AM »

I wouldn't call PSP a ripoff of DS, and no matter how much you thing GTA sucks, you can't deny the fact that it will probably do wonders for PSP.  I really don't want Nintendo's handhelds to go under, because with them very well could go the company's chances of new hardware in the future....  so don't think I'm just trying to hype PSP.  I just think right now things are looking pretty good for the handheld.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2005, 09:42:54 AM »

Nintendo still wouldnt go down , they are still making GBA sp modles and have a new "Gameboy" in the works. The DS was never a replacement for the gameboy as far as I know.

As far as the PSP goes however I have heard its a beautiful machine.... But it has alot of stuff that needs to be addressed.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2005, 10:30:02 AM »

No Nintendo tried to make it very clear DS was going to be the "Third Pillar" that just made me think of the Third Reich but thats just me.

Anyways PSP is going to sell at least as well as DS and i think it will even give Nintendo a run for their money.

As for GTA being about the hype it really is.
But you know what the damn game sells and generally sells big.
And don't forget that it has been on Nintendo systems too. GTA Advance which if i remember was a poor seller.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2005, 10:41:39 PM »

Oh I realize that Nintendo says DS was never meant as a replacement for GBA, but the thing does play GBA games.....  so if you had a choice between one or the other (not owning either beforehand), which would you pick?  Pretty logical choice if ya ask me (because everyone already has a GB or GBC).  Nintendo may not intend for it to be their main firepower in the handheld war, but it will become that unless they release a new GameBoy very soon.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2005, 07:40:02 AM »

The DS already broke a sales record in the UK. 87,000 sold in 2 days.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2005, 08:45:41 AM »

Did it just come out there two days ago?  If so, was it launched in the rest of Europe at the same time?  

That's pretty amazing.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »

I think it was released here 2 days ago as well. I can't say I really noticed a lot of publicity though. I haven't been in any game/toy shops since then either.

And the record the ds broke was set by the gamecube, 67,000 in 2 days.

edit: no wait, I have been in a game shop. And they had a stand with wario ware, but the batteries were pretty much dead, so before I managed to play, it switched off.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 09:01:59 AM by Arrrhalomynn » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length