RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 10:03:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Now can we declare certain victory for PSP? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Now can we declare certain victory for PSP?  (Read 10104 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: February 11, 2005, 09:16:19 PM »

I just got this in my e-mail from Rockstar:

Grand Theft Auto Coming to PSP Handheld Entertainment System

In 2005, Rockstar will bring a brand new iteration of
Grand Theft Auto to the highly anticipated PSPâ„¢ handheld entertainment system. This landmark title will be set in Liberty City and is being developed by Rockstar Leeds in conjunction with Rockstar North.
Stay tuned for much more information, including release date -
as well as first look media.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 09:19:03 PM by admin » Logged

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 09:42:20 PM »

im excited....ill look forward to picking that one up for my psp once i get it

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2005, 10:10:03 PM »

no GTA blows

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 12:38:08 AM »

GTA is the biggest hunk of shit I've seen since beating Conker's BFD...lol I look forward to Darkstalkers Tongue

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 03:34:50 AM »

GTA is great, but it might lose its magic on a small handheld. I'm not going to get excited untill I actually get to play it.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 09:07:11 AM »

I'm not asking the question because I like the GTA series.  Scott and Laurel, no matter how much you dislike GTA, you cannot deny that it will be a console mover.  That's the point of my post.  I didn't like FFVII that much, but that doesn't change the fact that it sold PlayStations to millions of people.  The same will probably happen here.  I'm by no means excited about this game coming out for PSP.  In fact, I think it couldn't come at a worse time for Nintendo....  but what can you do?  PSP is going to sell like hotcakes, and it's not because of the ten people that will play DarkStalkers, regardless of whether or not it is better or worse than the upcoming GTA game.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 09:43:45 AM »

Dammit Mike can't you just let me live in denial for a few days...lol I'm aware of the kind of power GTA holds and it -is- frightening Sad

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 09:56:48 AM »

It will move the PSP but in time it will fail.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 11:57:27 AM »

I think your wrong Scott.

I don't think many people are going to spend that kind of money for one game either.
People who buy this are going to be planning to buy other stuff for the system as well.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 12:03:07 PM »

And even if they won't spend that kind of money now, the system and games will drop in price. And Sony isn't going to drop this thing if it doesn't sell as well as expected in the first year. They will probably keep throwing money at it untill it's outselling the DS.
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 12:07:34 PM »

GTA and Halo are the most over-rated mediocre games series ever.  GTA is not a hand held game, and I predict it won't last.  I think we have to step back, look and see what made the Gameboy successful compared to the N-Gage:

Little, simple games.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 12:12:10 PM »

I agree with Odonadon 100%. Sony won't drop it right away but in the long run Nintendo will still control the handheld market. I doubt parents are goign to drop that amount of coin for little Johnny's handheld system. Plus you then have to worry about scratching
a disc.

Will the PSP be better then a portable DVD player? I doubt it. Will it me a better MP3 player the a iPod? No
Will it be a better gaming system then the GBA? We shall see.

I think making it a CD based system will hurt some sales.

Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 12:28:37 PM »

I'm glad the PSP is going to be CD based.  With GTA being on it, I don't think it's garneted to beat the DS but it will at least give Nintendo a run for its money.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 12:41:41 PM »

How is it being CD based going to hurt sales?
It is definately going to have an increased profit over the Carts in profit.
CDs are cheaper to make are they not?

Plus i don't think scratched CDs are going to be that big of a deal anymore than smashing a cartridge would.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 12:48:39 PM »

I agree with Odonadon 100%. Sony won't drop it right away but in the long run Nintendo will still control the handheld market. I doubt parents are goign to drop that amount of coin for little Johnny's handheld system. Plus you then have to worry about scratching
a disc.

Will the PSP be better then a portable DVD player? I doubt it. Will it me a better MP3 player the a iPod? No
Will it be a better gaming system then the GBA? We shall see.

I think making it a CD based system will hurt some sales.

I think a lot of parents that spend 150 bucks on a present for little Johnny, won't have too much problems with spending 250 either. Especially because the 250 set comes with more crap (if I'm correct). Of course little Johnnyy will have to want the PSP more than the DS.

I also think that there are a lot more people that might be interested in the PSP than little Johnnies. I'm 22 and I'd like one, and I'm definately not the only adult.

And it might not be better than a portable dvd player, but it's definately smaller, cheaper and most likely with higher quality stuff. Those portable dvd screens are very very lousy, while the psp screen is beautiful. If you just want to look at something every now and then when you're in the train or bus the psp is great. You won't have to spend 200 bucks on a seperate system you have to drag along too.

And it may not beat the ipod as an mp3 player, but once again, it's cheaper and just an extra.  And if you don't have an ipod yet it's a nice extra.

I think you should keep in mind that the psp isn't targetted at the technology freak that always wants the best. Take mobile phones for comparison. They're all loaded with crap like mp3 players and cameras and they sell like crazy. Sure, there are better mp3 players and better cameras and probably better phones too, but non of them offer the comfort of having it all at once.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length