RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:36:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | What are you reading right now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 60 Print
Author Topic: What are you reading right now  (Read 246103 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #405 on: August 08, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »

I am now reading: I Am Jackie Chan - My Life In Action - Jackie Chan
Jackie Chan wrote a book? (Or let a writer write one for him...) I didn't know that.

Talking of Jackie Chan, there is going to be a film with him on TV today...uuuhm it's *flees to Wiki to find title* AH: "Mr. Nice Guy".
Haven't seen this one yet although I saw most (80% maybe) of his movies. I'm excited Tongue
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #406 on: August 08, 2008, 03:32:37 PM »

Master and Commander.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tan
« Reply #407 on: August 08, 2008, 04:16:17 PM »

Master and Commander.

As in the Aubrey-Maturin series?
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #408 on: August 08, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »

Yeah, have been a longtime fan of Bernard Cornwell who is considered the "direct heir" to Patrick O'Brian so I figured I should give him a read. Good stuff thus far.

Tan
« Reply #409 on: August 08, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »

Yeah, have been a longtime fan of Bernard Cornwell who is considered the "direct heir" to Patrick O'Brian so I figured I should give him a read. Good stuff thus far.

I was eyeing a Sharpe novel a few weeks ago, looks like something I'd enjoy, same with the Starbuck Chronicles.

Historical/Period fiction seems to be a rare commodity these days, especially considering how much of it is author hypothesis mixed with fact that reads like a dull textbook. It's nice that there are some authors who use events as the basis of the story, but without relying too much on the statistics and facts. Believable yet fresh and imaginative.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #410 on: August 08, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »

I was eyeing a Sharpe novel a few weeks ago, looks like something I'd enjoy, same with the Starbuck Chronicles.

Historical/Period fiction seems to be a rare commodity these days, especially considering how much of it is author hypothesis mixed with fact that reads like a dull textbook. It's nice that there are some authors who use events as the basis of the story, but without relying too much on the statistics and facts. Believable yet fresh and imaginative.

Oh yeah, Cornwell does a brilliant job with his fiction. They're as entertaining as High Fantasy--Dragonlance and stuff like that--but have a basis in reality. If you like stuff like that I'd suggest...well...all of it. I started with The Archer's Tale and have since read pretty much everything he's written.

Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #411 on: August 12, 2008, 01:44:37 AM »

I'm reading the Return of Sherlock Holmes [ebook form].

Great collection of stories.

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #412 on: August 12, 2008, 02:38:35 PM »

Read or reading recently:
The Grasslands by Kenneth Tam
The Dilbert Principle by Scott Adams
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Just started:
The War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells
Le Morte d'Arthur
A Brief History of the Vikings by Jonathan Clements
The Dilbert Future by Scott Adams

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
Tan
« Reply #413 on: August 12, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »

Le Morte d'Arthur

I find it ridiculous, how hard it is to find a good copy of this in any book store that hasn't been translated into modern English. For such a hugely popular and classic piece of literature, you'd think it would be more widely available. Tongue

I had a nice hardcover copy from the 60's many years ago, I wish I had never lost track of where it went.
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #414 on: August 13, 2008, 02:27:34 AM »

Now onto Back to the Stone Age, by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

dotDarkCloud (dDC)
Sega 32X
Canada

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #415 on: August 13, 2008, 08:10:23 AM »

I find it ridiculous, how hard it is to find a good copy of this in any book store that hasn't been translated into modern English. For such a hugely popular and classic piece of literature, you'd think it would be more widely available. Tongue

I had a nice hardcover copy from the 60's many years ago, I wish I had never lost track of where it went.

I got this copy around Christmas from Coles... it's a great hardcover with some artwork. It's part of the "Collector's Library" (I've also got the CL Editions of Arabian Nights, Complete Works of Shakespeare,  and Edgar Allan Poe)

"...shut up, shut up, shut up.... You're all nuts! Shut up! Let me talk. " - Free Waterfall Jr.
Tan
« Reply #416 on: August 13, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »

I got this copy around Christmas from Coles... it's a great hardcover with some artwork. It's part of the "Collector's Library" (I've also got the CL Editions of Arabian Nights, Complete Works of Shakespeare,  and Edgar Allan Poe)

Thanks for the link, I found the ISBN at Goodreads, maybe I'll have some luck in the half dozen Coles, Indigos and Chapters in my area.
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »

Does anyone else like ebooks [like Project Gutenburg] as much as me?

I read them at work when there's nothing to do.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #418 on: August 16, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »

Does anyone else like ebooks [like Project Gutenburg] as much as me?

I read them at work when there's nothing to do.

I've read a couple online but for me, who spends enough time staring at screens, nothing beats a good book you can carry around with you.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #419 on: August 17, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »

The Chosen, by Chiam Potak. Very good so far.  Smiley

Tell me about your variants...
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 60 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: