RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | What are you reading right now 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60 Print
Author Topic: What are you reading right now  (Read 246085 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #795 on: March 13, 2015, 12:59:20 AM »

no one else here reads...besides video game books? there must be someone Smiley

Even though about once a month a complete stranger will come up to me and tell me I look kind of like Stephen King, I'm not big on reading fiction. My most recent crack at imaginary literary worlds was the first volume of Lord of the Rings, which I bailed on about fifty pages in. I prefer reading about true crime, historical events and figures of interest, and... science fact. Which is why I grabbed this at a local thrift for $0.79:

Thing is, if I hadn't seen all those old Radio Shack print ads featuring Asimov promoting TRS computers, I might not have given this a second glance. I'm currently in the middle of the first chapter, an essay on the discovery and study of isotopes... which I'm finding far more interesting than I expected it to be.

that asimov book sounds really interesting! i enjoy the occasional non-fiction too, i'm just currently on a major literary fiction kick, trying to get through a bunch of classics and others that feel like "must reads". the only Asimov i have at the moment is most of his Foundation sci-fi series, which is supposed to be really good.
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #796 on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:39 AM »

I read "I, Robot" in High School and enjoyed it.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #797 on: March 15, 2015, 03:46:49 PM »

Started reading Ready Player One. I didn't think I'd like it, but my wife loved it and kind of talked me into it. I'm only in the second chapter but it isn't too bad at all so far.

JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #798 on: March 15, 2015, 04:04:05 PM »

Finally finished all currently available Fables volumes. Last two are due out later this year, so I'll shelve that project for now.

Started Hellboy. Love the art.

Started reading Ready Player One. I didn't think I'd like it, but my wife loved it and kind of talked me into it. I'm only in the second chapter but it isn't too bad at all so far.

It's a pretty good book. Has a major problem with tell, don't show, but that's actually to it's credit given the subject matter.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #799 on: March 15, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »

Reading school text right now as well, but slowly reading through the last Baldur's Gate novel.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #800 on: March 16, 2015, 08:17:57 AM »

Finally finished all currently available Fables volumes. Last two are due out later this year, so I'll shelve that project for now.

It's a pretty good book. Has a major problem with tell, don't show, but that's actually to it's credit given the subject matter.

That's exactly why I haven't given it a shot until now, but it's not as bad as I feared it would be in that respect.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #801 on: March 20, 2015, 03:17:21 AM »

reading grimm's fairy tales cover to cover gets really old when it's 600+ pages long and many of the stories are repetitive. decided to let it be something that i just read a few tales now and then, while i put more focus on reading other things.

Started and finished The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, it was beautifully written. i definitely recommend it to anyone that is comfortable with a bit of purple prose.

about 45 pages into Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood now, i think i remember one or two people on here recommending this one ages ago. so far it's really interesting, i think i actually enjoy the flashback moments most. they tend to have a lot more going on whereas the post-apocalypse future sections, while good, aren't quite as interesting. my opinion on that could easily change though, i'm not nearly far enough in to say much about this one yet.
JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #802 on: March 20, 2015, 03:53:59 AM »

That's exactly why I haven't given it a shot until now, but it's not as bad as I feared it would be in that respect.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind more stories in the same vein with similar tell don't show methods. It works pretty will with general nerd type things.

A friend suggested Planetary (DC) as a good read, but it's just not holding my attention. It's not bad, just not horribly interesting. Another friend suggested Elfquest and it looks good, but oh god where to begin. There are like three remakes of the entire story.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #803 on: March 20, 2015, 07:16:24 AM »

about 45 pages into Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood now, i think i remember one or two people on here recommending this one ages ago.

Probably me. I loved that book. Enjoy!

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #804 on: March 28, 2015, 09:35:17 PM »

about 45 pages into Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood now, i think i remember one or two people on here recommending this one ages ago.

Probably me. I loved that book. Enjoy!

finished it today, great read! i'll join grayghost in recommending it to anyone who likes sci-fi or distopia novels. looking forward to the rest of the trilogy, which i didn't even realize this was until a few days ago.
JSoup
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #805 on: March 29, 2015, 12:40:24 AM »

So, Elfquest is a pretty good, if not astonishingly long, read. Highly recommend it so far.
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #806 on: March 30, 2015, 04:07:27 AM »

Just finished:

The Elevator Trilogy

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #807 on: March 30, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »

Just started this. Definitely the longest book I've ever read

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #808 on: April 02, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »

An X-Files Novel called "Skin".

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #809 on: April 13, 2015, 07:25:23 AM »

Finished Ready Player One over the weekend. It seems that about halfway through writing the book the author Ernest Cline learned the proper way to do references (being, in my opinion, to drop them without further explanation and if the reader doesn't know what it is he can go look it up if he wants to) so the second half of the book was immensely more enjoyable than the first. The ending had me tearing up a bit. It was also nice to bond over the book with my wife.

I may start 1Q84 next, as I just picked up a copy, maybe Rich and I will start an RFGeneration Community Readthrough.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 60 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length