RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:03:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June Community Playthrough-16 bit Disney 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: June Community Playthrough-16 bit Disney  (Read 24223 times)
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« on: May 15, 2013, 12:43:20 PM »

So many people had fun playing through Arkham Asylum in the first RFGen community playthrough that a few of us thought we might try to make this a monthly event.

Since Crabby is a very busy Crab right now, Fleach and myself will be doing our best to get the next one organized.

We thought that it would be cool to alternate between current gen and retro titles so for the month of June, the RFGen Community will be playing through one of three 16 bit Disney games.

The achievements are OPTIONAL, all you have to do to participate it play any of these games.

Aladdin
A-1 Complete every Abu bonus level
A-2 Collect all 70 Red Gems and unlock the secret ending
A-3 Complete the game in 45 minutes

The Jungle Book

Achievment ideas, anyone?

The Lion King
L-1 Complete the Stampede level without taking any damage
L-2 Complete the game in under 30 minutes
L-3 Dress up as a character from The Lion King while you play (pic required)

Goof Troop
G-1 Complete the game with a friend
G-2 Complete the game without using a continue
G-3 Defeat 5 enemies with the grappling hook

We wanted to choose a list of games that are fairly common and inexpensive as well as give anyone who doesn't own them ample time to acquire them.

In case you haven't played them, Aladdin and The Lion King are platformers and Goof Troop is an adventure game in a top down Zelda style.

I'd also like to get a head count this time around so just respond to the thread if you plan on joining in.  Some users have more free time than others which is why you can play one, two, or all three of the games if you would like to participate.

June player list

Post in this thread when you complete a game or an achievement

Addicted
Goof Troop G-2, G-3

Crabby
Aladdin completed

Dezorian
Goof Troop G-3

Fleach
Flee
Fokasis
h1ghw1nd
OatBob

RetroRage
Aladdin A-3

Shadow Kisuragi

singlebanana
Aladdin completed
Goof Troop-completed G-2, G3

techwizard
wildbil52

5/29 UPDATE

June is almost here!  Play one game, play 2, play as many as you can!  The list of participants will be updated with achievements as they are completed.  Just make a post telling what you have done and I'll update this post (honor system, everyone!).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:06:13 AM by wildbil52 » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 12:44:51 PM »

These are ALL fairly quick games, FYI. Tongue
I'd be more than happy to toss in, though I'll likely add in conditions for myself like collecting all jewels in Aladdin.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »

These are ALL fairly quick games, FYI. Tongue
I'd be more than happy to toss in, though I'll likely add in conditions for myself like collecting all jewels in Aladdin.

They are rather short, that's why we listed several.  The list of games we are working on for July will be more time consuming...

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:11 PM »

I'm in for Goof Troop. I haven't played it more than ten minutes.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »

I'm in for Goof Troop. I haven't played it more than ten minutes.

Goof Troop's the only one I don't have memorized. I played Aladdin and Lion King to death as a kid.
I'd love to do Magical Quest, but it's not dirt cheap.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »

I'd be in for Goof Troop if I can find a copy. Anyone have an extra to sell/trade?  Grin

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »

I'd be in for Goof Troop if I can find a copy. Anyone have an extra to sell/trade?  Grin

Don't even know if I have one, but I'm sure I can find extras if I hunt around for a day.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

Don't even know if I have one, but I'm sure I can find extras if I hunt around for a day.

I'll check my local store this afternoon to see what I can find, but if I can't find a copy, I will let you know.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 01:37:20 PM »

I only have Lion King on Genesis.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

I only have Lion King on Genesis.

Lion King and Aladdin are different games on Genesis, just as an FYI.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

^ The Lion King is the same on the Genesis and Super Nintendo other than some minor sound and graphical differences. Both were made by Virgin Interactive, I do own the game on both platforms. You are right on Aladdin.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »

^ The Lion King is the same on the Genesis and Super Nintendo other than some minor sound and graphical differences. Both were made by Virgin Interactive, I do own the game on both platforms. You are right on Aladdin.

http://retro-sanctuary.co...risons-The-Lion-King.html

Mega Drive - I feel that this version is the most fast and responsive out of the three versions, it has all the important elements intact, and also has the best judged difficulty curve (though its still often considered hard), its easier than the SNES version, but still retains all the levels and bonus stages (unlike the Amiga version).

SNES - For the most part this and the Mega Drive version play fairly similar to each other, but a few differences here and there cause this to be most certainly the hardest version of the game. My reasons for saying this are spread thinly across many different areas so I'll try to list some of the more noticeable ones.

The vultures here are much more aggressive and persistent, in the Mega Drive port when you get to a certain point the vultures will break off the attack and leave you alone whereas here they seem to follow you to the ends of the earth, and will end up in large groups if you do not make sure to kill them.

Simba doesn't seem to jump quite as high here, making some of the easier routes seemingly impossible to take (for instance at the hippo section of the second level you are forced to take the harder swinging route across their tails, whereas in the Mega Drive port you could jump up and climb onto the second level hippo immediately).

The final boss fight is also much harder as it requires quicker reactions due to the panting time being much shorter. Some other elements adding to the difficulty are differences to the swinging and grabbing mechanics (the Mega Drive version uses a much more automated system where you can pretty much just tap the jump button and Simba makes his way up on his own) and the bonus levels tend to be more difficult and seem to give out fewer continues.

The vultures and jumping height make a big difference.  Wink You can skip entire sections of stages on the Genesis due to the jump height.
Content-wise, they're the same.

Aladdin is a completely different game on the Genesis, though.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:12:17 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 03:31:30 PM »

I'll need to hit up eBay this evening because none of the flea markets or thrifts near me have SNES games (my area is oversaturated with sports games).

But I'm in! Can't wait.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 04:08:20 PM »

I've got a copy of Aladdin on the Gen that I havn't touched in a couple years. I'll be in for that one.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 04:11:29 PM »

I'm in. Pretty sure I have Aladdin and I just picked up Lion King (SNES). I'm down for either one of those.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length