RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:49:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 15 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 15  (Read 19720 times)
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »

Reggie Jackson Wink

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 11:21:09 PM »

I noticed an audio editing glitch around 1:45:00. It seems to go back 15 or so minutes in time.

i just passed 1:45:00 and didn't notice anything, i'm pretty sure it didn't go back for me.

edit: i need to try that star wars racer easter egg, loved that game as a kid but i never knew that.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:44:33 PM by techwizard » Logged
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 06:18:49 AM »

I'm pretty sure it was Soylent Green.

Go on...

Well, I'm pretty sure it was your mom.

That's right, I took it there. You gonna cry over it, ya jackwagon?

How does she taste? Does it vary from person to person?

Yes. Yes it does.

Yes i just went there.

Go on...
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2013, 08:51:53 AM »

I noticed an audio editing glitch around 1:45:00. It seems to go back 15 or so minutes in time.

i just passed 1:45:00 and didn't notice anything, i'm pretty sure it didn't go back for me.

edit: i need to try that star wars racer easter egg, loved that game as a kid but i never knew that.

Definitely give it a try. Its A LOT of fun

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2013, 12:43:01 PM »

Definitely give it a try. Its A LOT of fun

tried it after listening last night, that was awesome. i completely sucked at it, but it made it feel like an entirely different game in a good way.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2013, 10:37:26 PM »

I'm going to kick off some main topic discussion.

I think what divides gamers and collectors is the research that we do about games, developers, genres, etc. The hunt. The thrill. The letdown of being outbid. We also like the physical thing. We need the carts or discs, boxes and manuals.

Duke hit the nail on the head with his comment about collecting being a kind of "metagame." I have some games are mediocre, but I love them because I remember the garage sale or pawn shop where I found them while booting up the games.

OK, I want to get more feedback on the actual show topic since this thread has gone in some really weird directions.

What do the rest of you think of the gamer vs. collector mentality?

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »

As a kid, I was only a gamer.  Luckily, my parents saved my game boxes, but otherwise all I cared about was playing games.  In my 20's, I have realized that I am more of a collector.  I don't play video games as much as I used to, but I try to avoid buying games that I won't play.  There are times I enjoy the hunt, cleaning games, and organizing them more than I enjoy playing sometimes.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »

There are times I enjoy the hunt, cleaning games, and organizing them more than I enjoy playing sometimes.

I understand completely. I think we talked a bit about that in earlier episodes. I am bummed I haven't had time to hit any yard sales yet this year.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 10:09:54 AM »

I was listening to some podcast this week (of course) a guy was talking about the home audio scene. He talked about going to audio equipment shows, meeting with people who shared the hobby and of course listening to music. If that doesn't sound similar enough to what game collectors do, he also talked about how one of his favorite things was to go to thrift stores and yard sales hunting for albums.

One of the great things about collecting games is you get to enjoy them in more than one way. There is the collecting side and the playing side. There are other hobbies like this too, music (records, cd's etc.), books, dogs, Ferrari's......

Once I saw a interview with a person who had the largest collection of "Precious Moments" figurines in the world. That person was part of a hobby which doesn't really have the "I get to play with it too" side of things. Porcelain figures don't stand up to much activity. It's not that there is anything wrong with enjoying something for purely the collecting aspect, I just want to point out collecting and "playing with" are two different things.

Maybe its not so much a "slider" between being a gamer and a collector. Maybe each is its own scale, you rate from 1 to 10 as a collector and, separately, 1 to 10 as a gamer. Myself, I would still be a gamer somewhat even if you took away all my collection and only left me with digital only games.

My Ferrari collection    Wink
[img width=640 height=169]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3757/8996065455_2d57621df6_o.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=192]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/8997251702_4ff218b9ca_o.jpg[/img]

Sometimes I take pictures and realize that corner of the house needs dusting....
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »

I think you may be onto something with your idea that each different mentality has its own slider. Very excellent point.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »

Listening right now, in the small score's segment. Sounds good.

I'm pretty sure I had a bunch of small scores attributed to me that weren't mine, I didn't score any soccer games or Halo 3 lately. Actually I'm pretty sure everything between Last Remnant/Killer7 and Pikmin/Phantasy Star weren't mine.

It was nice to think you were talking about me for like a half hour though Smiley

Also, I haven't tried Last Remnant. I hope I like it more than Bil did. Don't worry I'll bitch about it in the gaming diary thread anyway.

Good show gentlemen. Can't wait to get to the main topic.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »

Finished up the podcast today and enjoyed it.  Nice work guys!  I just wanted to point out that my Volley pinball is actually from 1976 (a later EM) and is in fact a wedgehead.  Duke, I use to be soured on Gottlieb, but they really made the best EMs out there. Solid states.....well.....not so much. Indeed, Bally is the king of the late 70s and early 80s.

Back on topic: It's funny, but I think we all start out as gamers and the collector phase begins to take over (but not necessarily start) as we get older. I was in my local game store today and a guy, probably late teenager/early 20's brought a PS2 title up to the counter.  I was up there talking to the owner and he asked the kid if he'd ever played this somewhat odd title before. He responded, "Yeah, I remember playing this when I was about 8 years old and liking it." I think somewhere around this time, i.e. joining the working force, you start to feel as if you're losing a part of yourself and need something to take you back to those carefree moments if it's just for a few hours. Also, unless you had unlimited video game purchasing funds as a child or invented the Post-it note, which I imagine 99% of us fall into the other category, having some disposable income is a direct result of joining the work force; it allows us more means to purchase new games, find those titles we use to play when we were younger, or snag those we always wanted, but couldn't afford at the time. At some point during this transition stage in our lives, I think that most of us can probably pinpoint the exact or close to exact point we transitioned into collectors.  And for some of us, I think the collecting has even taken over the playing.  I for one, would say that earlier in life I was primarily a gamer, even 100% so, up until my teenage years. As I got older, and started college, I started holding onto favorite titles and systems and the ratio shifted. When I finished grad school, I realized I wanted all of those games back and slapped my forehead when I wasn't able to locate them at my parent's house. The tables further turned and now, due to lack of time and responsibility, I'm probably 90% collector/10% gamer. Sometimes thinking about that makes me sad, because gaming is what I truly love to do, but another part of me feels a lot of joy in just having these things around me, and also being able to share them with my kids and friends who come over.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »

Finished up the podcast today and enjoyed it.  Nice work guys!  I just wanted to point out that my Volley pinball is actually from 1976 (a later EM) and is in fact a wedgehead.  Duke, I use to be soured on Gottlieb, but they really made the best EMs out there. Solid states.....well.....not so much. Indeed, Bally is the king of the late 70s and early 80s.

Back on topic: It's funny, but I think we all start out as gamers and the collector phase begins to take over (but not necessarily start) as we get older. I was in my local game store today and a guy, probably late teenager/early 20's brought a PS2 title up to the counter.  I was up there talking to the owner and he asked the kid if he'd ever played this somewhat odd title before. He responded, "Yeah, I remember playing this when I was about 8 years old and liking it." I think somewhere around this time, i.e. joining the working force, you start to feel as if you're losing a part of yourself and need something to take you back to those carefree moments if it's just for a few hours. Also, unless you had unlimited video game purchasing funds as a child or invented the Post-it note, which I imagine 99% of us fall into the other category, having some disposable income is a direct result of joining the work force; it allows us more means to purchase new games, find those titles we use to play when we were younger, or snag those we always wanted, but couldn't afford at the time. At some point during this transition stage in our lives, I think that most of us can probably pinpoint the exact or close to exact point we transitioned into collectors.  And for some of us, I think the collecting has even taken over the playing.  I for one, would say that earlier in life I was primarily a gamer, even 100% so, up until my teenage years. As I got older, and started college, I started holding onto favorite titles and systems and the ratio shifted. When I finished grad school, I realized I wanted all of those games back and slapped my forehead when I wasn't able to locate them at my parent's house. The tables further turned and now, due to lack of time and responsibility, I'm probably 90% collector/10% gamer. Sometimes thinking about that makes me sad, because gaming is what I truly love to do, but another part of me feels a lot of joy in just having these things around me, and also being able to share them with my kids and friends who come over.

Couldn't echo both sentiments better myself.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »

Well said, banana. It's the tangible reminders of younger and carefree days that drives a lot of us.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »

Well said, banana. It's the tangible reminders of younger and carefree days that drives a lot of us.

Yeah, I think that's a big part of it for sure, but I disagree when people simply chalk things up to nostalgia. I'm not accusing you of doing this Duke, I just think others tend to simplify it and write it off by putting it in that box sometimes.  Sure, that is a part of it, but I think as we change socially, economically, mentally, physically, and as our time has to be more parsed out to other responsibilities with age, our gaming/collection habits also change.

It would be interesting to do a study and look at why we game. I'm sure these have been done before, but probably not as much from a gamer's perspective.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length