RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:24:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 15 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 15  (Read 19722 times)
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »

Well said, banana. It's the tangible reminders of younger and carefree days that drives a lot of us.

It would be interesting to do a study and look at why we game. I'm sure these have been done before, but probably not as much from a gamer's perspective.

Its all about the dopamine Wink

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 04:45:25 AM »

Well said, banana. It's the tangible reminders of younger and carefree days that drives a lot of us.

Yeah, I think that's a big part of it for sure, but I disagree when people simply chalk things up to nostalgia. I'm not accusing you of doing this Duke, I just think others tend to simplify it and write it off by putting it in that box sometimes.  Sure, that is a part of it, but I think as we change socially, economically, mentally, physically, and as our time has to be more parsed out to other responsibilities with age, our gaming/collection habits also change.

It would be interesting to do a study and look at why we game. I'm sure these have been done before, but probably not as much from a gamer's perspective.

nostalgia is a part of it, but i agree it's definitely not all of it. what nostalgia made me buy Sega Saturn, a system i never even knew existed when i was a kid?
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:39 AM »

techwizard, it's like eating Pringles chips. Once you pop you can't stop.

I think collectors have a more curious mentality than average gamers. We'll learn about a console (ie Sega Saturn in your case) and because we know about the reputation and library of other consoles by that developer we're naturally interested to find out what this system has to offer. You find one good game, then two, then ten. Then you become a collector.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »

Yeah, I think that's a big part of it for sure, but I disagree when people simply chalk things up to nostalgia. I'm not accusing you of doing this Duke, I just think others tend to simplify it and write it off by putting it in that box sometimes.  Sure, that is a part of it, but I think as we change socially, economically, mentally, physically, and as our time has to be more parsed out to other responsibilities with age, our gaming/collection habits also change.

nostalgia is a part of it, but i agree it's definitely not all of it. what nostalgia made me buy Sega Saturn, a system i never even knew existed when i was a kid?

I agree.  I never owned a Sega system and had only played a Genesis a handful of times until about 10 years ago. On one hand, that's pretty sad as I have always been into gaming, but on the other hand, it's great having a new libraries of games to discover.
techwizard, it's like eating Pringles chips. Once you pop you can't stop.

I think collectors have a more curious mentality than average gamers. We'll learn about a console (ie Sega Saturn in your case) and because we know about the reputation and library of other consoles by that developer we're naturally interested to find out what this system has to offer. You find one good game, then two, then ten. Then you become a collector.

Curiosity is expensive isn't it? Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 08:50:08 AM »

In reference to the .hack score for me:

[img width=700 height=393]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/engel762/2013-06-11_08-37-32_482_zps9d3b180d.jpg[/img]

I'd been looking for part 4 for a while, and the shops where I am like to jack the price up to about 80 bucks, a friend in Texas found a copy for me for 25 bucks.  So.... yay?

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »

It seems like it shouldn't be a big deal but I LOVE when the spines of games in a series match.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 06:53:33 AM »

Finally got through the rest of the show. Great job guys.

Usually when I listen to your show, I wish I could join in the conversation and add my two cents. I really wanted to do that this time, as this is one of my favorite topics in regards to collecting, and seems to be always changing for me.

Anyway great show guys. Keep up the good work!

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »

In reference to the .hack score for me:

[img width=700 height=393]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e254/engel762/2013-06-11_08-37-32_482_zps9d3b180d.jpg[/img]

I'd been looking for part 4 for a while, and the shops where I am like to jack the price up to about 80 bucks, a friend in Texas found a copy for me for 25 bucks.  So.... yay?

Congrats on finding part 4! That one took me over a year to find at a decent price.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
retrosportsgamer
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »

Great show - and a healthy dialogue on collecting vs. gaming. As our time and responsibilities change, it is like a sliding scale (great note from earlier poster) on how we budget our energy around the hobby.

I am going to side with Bill (despite some serious bullying from Duke Wink ) when it comes to passing on cheap games. I'm at the point where just having something to have it doesn't work - especially with limited playing time. I totally get where Crabby was coming from with the entertainment of even just trying it out, but that time is limited also so then you're balancing THAT with playing games you know you like. This doesn't even take into account the physical space for storing or the time spent on re-selling/post office , etc, should you turnover your collection like that when you dislike something.  

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »

Well this as an oldie-but-goodie. I'm glad you enjoyed the show, and I am a bit opinionated at times although I hope it keeps it entertaining. I've made some tidy profits on flips this year due to cheap grabs, so I'm still good with it.

retrosportsgamer
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »

Well this as an oldie-but-goodie. I'm glad you enjoyed the show, and I am a bit opinionated at times although I hope it keeps it entertaining. I've made some tidy profits on flips this year due to cheap grabs, so I'm still good with it.

Oh absolutely, like you surmised at the end - there's no wrong way. I should clarify my comment, I was referring to bargain GameStop $5 games that hold that exact value (or less), certainly nothing off about grabbing an undervalued asset for a profitable flip. You do a commendable job with the economics side of collecting on every show there, Duke.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »

Thanks. That makes my inner capitalist feel good.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length