RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:14:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Playstation Plus (PS+) Discussion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Print
Author Topic: Playstation Plus (PS+) Discussion Thread  (Read 142863 times)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »

I thought it would be a cool idea to make a thread to talk about the games that are offered for free for Playstation Plus subscribers. We could also talk about the service in general, the pros and cons, current subscription bonuses for those on the fence.

I signed up about three months ago when they were offering a ten dollar credit with a one year subscription. I haven't spent the ten bucks yet because the games offered so far have kept me busy. In my opinion, my subscription payed for itself pretty much right away.

I played:

Spec Ops: The Line - Great game and not just a cookie cutter modern military shooter.
Little Big Planet 2 - I'm not really into this series but this is a strength of PS+ to me. I downloaded it and got my fill of it in about three hours of play time. This would have never warranted a purchase so it was cool to play it in this fashion. Just like...
Demon's Souls - I'm not the kind of gamer who is attracted to games that are renowned for their difficulty, but like Little Big Planet 2 I was able to play it enough to see what all the hype was about, and walk away with no money or shelf space investment.
Sleeping Dogs - An above average sandbox game. Cool John Woo-esque story much like City on Fire.

I have played Vanquish and Infamous 2 prior to PS+ but they are still available and I would highly recommend them both.

I also have played a bunch of PSN titles. Joe Danger 2 was really fun and is still available. Closure was a neat puzzle platformer but I didn't play too much of it. I tried The Cave, which is still available, but didn't care for it.

Last week's game was Deus Ex: Human Revolution which I have yet to play and later in the month Saint's Row The 3rd is coming which is bittersweet for me because I have already played it but it was one of my favorite games of this generation so I may just play it again.

I almost forgot all the Vita games. I don't own a Vita but if I ever get one and I still have a PS+ subscription I will have quite a collection from the get-go including Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Virtue's Last Reward, Disgaea 3, and quite a few other noteworthy titles.

So, two last things I'll leave you with are that I have subscribed via email to http://blog.us.playstation.com/ to be kept up to date on the new free games coming out each week. Also, I "purchase" and put everything in my download queue no matter my interest level, because you never know.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:25:52 AM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:31:20 PM »

My question to PS+ members is what do you expect to happen with the service with the PS4?

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »

My question to PS+ members is what do you expect to happen with the service with the PS4?

So far Sony has said that PS+ will exist on PS4. What that means for current subscribers and transitioning between the two consoles remains to be seen.

When my subscription comes due in March, I probably still won't even be thinking about the new consoles yet so as long as there is quality content being released on PS3 I will very likely renew.

Not to change the subject but I forgot to mention in my original post one thing I have been disappointed with so far is the real lack of PS1 and PS2 classics available for free. It seems like before I subscribed they were around all the time and since I've been a member there haven't been any. I'm hoping to see more in the future.   

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »

I had a 1 month subscription back in March or April, and I thought it was great.  It allowed me to play games for free, which is always awesome.

I thought The Cave was fun, as well as Spec Ops: The Line.  I also played through Closure, which was a pretty good puzzle game.  If I played videogames more, I could see myself getting a subscription.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »

I love the idea of PS+ but can't force myself to pay for it. I rent/borrow a lot of current gen games from Gamefly/local library. I do see PS+ as a great alternative to Microsoft's Live and hope it forces Microsoft to provide more than just online for next-gen.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:07 PM »

i see the appeal of it, but it's just not worth it for me. any kind of subscription puts a time limit on your games, and i tend to be slow at going through single player on most games. even if they're free games, the subscription would probably run out before i had beaten more than a handful.
h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:48:09 PM »

I've been subscribed for around 3 years. When I first started I liked it because we were getting free PS1 games often. Now I love it with Sleeping Dogs, Little Big Planet and all the other PS3 freebies. I grabbed most of the RE and Assassins Creed games when the prices were slashed too. Overall I really like the service.
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 03:55:47 AM »

I've had it too since the start and the number of "free" games I've had has really helped me save money.

all round I think its more value for money than xbox live as all you get for the same amount is to go online which no seems a ripoff...

I do miss not getting the PS1 games now but that does mean we get PSN games instead, before they gave you 3/4 mini's games that I very rarely played

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 09:32:59 AM »

Today's updates include Uncharted 3, XCom: Enemy Unknown and LittleBigPlanet Karting. That's a hell of a week right there.

http://blog.us.playstatio...-instant-game-collection/

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »

That's a hell of an update...

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »

Wasn't expecting any of those. Honestly a bunch a PSN crap and Saint's Row the 3rd for the rest of June would've sufficed.

Very psyched about XCom!

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »

Aw man I can't wait for XCom to come out for iOS

When shall his new form be revealed?
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »

I love PS+

I am the King of San Andreas
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

XCOM is a fantastic strategy game.  I need to start playing it again, though.
h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »

Sweet! I'm on a LBP kick again since my friend just bought it. I'll have to grab the Karting game Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length