RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:39:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Favorite Subsets 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Subsets  (Read 7421 times)
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »

This thread is to list your favorite Subsets in your collection.  Please feel free to explain why it is your favorite subset, and what games out of the subset are the best. List subsets you are considering and or suggestions for others.  I am hoping this can be a place for those venturing into the goal of collecting a subset to use a resource and guide.  This is not NES only, this is for all and any systems.  Let me know if I need to correct anything or add anything to the list.

Here is the list:

Atari
Brown Labels (Atari 400)
Brown Labels ( Atari 800)
Atari XE
Activision (Atari 2600 )

NES
Tengen
Konami Silver Box
Koei
LJN
Taito
Hudson
Capcom
Black Box NES

Super Famicom
Squaresoft

Dreamcast
Sakura Taisen
SHMUP

PSX
White Label (Collector's Editions )
Greatest Hits
Black Label
Black Label Squaresoft
Long Boxes

PS2

PS3

Xbox ( Original )

Xbox 360

XBOX One
Day One Banner

PC
Big Box

Cross Platform
Zelda
Majesco
Accolade/Ballistic
Atlus
Pokemon
Working Designs

Other
Romox (Didn't know where to put this one )
Variants
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:59:49 PM by Fokakis79 » Logged

smith45885
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »

I'm flirting with the idea of chasing black label Square games for the PS1.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »

i'm going for all the zelda games. might add to that going for all the remakes and re-releases too, but for now at least one of each game. i'm also playing through the whole series in release order.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »

I'm making a half-assed attempt at all Atlus games for the PS2. Well actually Rule Of Rose is the only biggie I don't have at the moment.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:37:26 PM »

Aiming for Squaresoft SFC subset as my first major goal as a collector.  The Japanese Final Fantasy boxes are really nice, it's a decent size for a starter collection (20 titles, including Super Mario RPG) and SFC rarities seldom demand the same prices as US/PAL rarities.  To date, I have all bar Front Mission: Gun Hazard and Rudra no Hiho.

The downsides to such a subset:
  • Cost (sort of): While not that expensive (all things considered), at least 5 titles are around $50 BIN, meaning that 25% of this subset is above average price for SFC games.
  • eBay: going Japanese does mean greater reliance on online retail.
  • Rarities: additionally, I have found 3 prototypes (Chrono Trigger, SD3, Romancing SaGa 3 - $90 minimum each) and 1 limited edition (Chrono Trigger V-Jump version - $600).  Likelihood of acquisition: minimal.
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »

Goal 1)
I'm currently working on the Sakura Taisen Dreamcast collection.  This set is beastly, with multiple LEs (ex Type-A and Type-B), multiple types of LEs (the memorial packs), spinoffs (and more LEs!).  Also, my collecting has resulted in acquiring a number of items that are suspiciously pink.

Goal 2)
Once a month, I'm trying to pick up a SHMUP title.  These are a bit spendy, and I don't want to break the bank, or block myself from picking up other import deals.  So, for now I'm sticking to an infrequent purchase schedule.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:51:17 PM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »

I'm making a half-assed attempt at all Atlus games for the PS2. Well actually Rule Of Rose is the only biggie I don't have at the moment.

Yeah isn't Rule Of Rose kinda spendy, I  know a KOEI subset is quite daunting as well

A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »

From my collecting aspect the favorite kinds of subsets to work on include:

Atari Brown Labels - Theres a bunch for the atari 400 line and a handful for the 800 line of computers. Keeping in mind that theres the rare in store demo cart included to complete that set. It brings alot of challange and fun to collecting.

Atari XE Labels - While maybe only 33 carts complete this set there are some really rare and pricy carts to make this a challange. Also having  Mario Bros in the mix will bring more people wanting this cart keeping in demand and making it difficult to get.

My third in my top 3 would be the Activision 15 cart set.  Once again so many great games keeps prices up demand up and supply difficult to track down on the harder find titles like PastFinder. I love collecting for games that really are worth the collecting and then gaming aspect .

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:24:26 AM »

The main subset I collect for:

From Odyssey to Pre-Playstation, NA region, physical copy, no magnetic media (cassette, disk, etc.), good labels.  CIB if box is not paper.

Yep.  Kinda picky.

Keelah se'lai
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 06:47:34 AM »

Yeah isn't Rule Of Rose kinda spendy, I  know a KOEI subset is quite daunting as well

Yeah and I haven't looked in a while but it looks like the price of RoR has spiked over the past six months. Guess I won't be getting it any time soon.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 08:52:37 AM »

I have 2 games to go in my Tengen subset, then its time to search for some gold at the end of the rainbow.... I Love the games made by this next publisher.  July is going to be an excellent moNth.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 09:54:58 AM by RetroRage » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »

I have a soft spot for alternate publisher releases, e.g. Majesco and Accolade/Ballistic. I enjoy the history behind why a new publisher had to reprint the title.

TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »

Personally, I'd have to say that Tengen is my favorite subset on NES.  At the moment, I'm 4 away from a complete Tengen set, missing Toobin', After Burner, Fantasy Zone, and Ms. Pac-Man.  After that, I haven't really decided on a subset to work on, but am leaning toward the famous Konami Silver Boxes.

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 12:23:52 PM »

I have 2 games to go in my Tengen subset, then its time to search for some gold at the end of the rainbow.... I Love the games made by this next publisher.  July is going to be an excellent moNth.

You've got some great quality games coming your way Wink

A8scooter
CD-i

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »

I would love to finish a romox set of carts. But at the asking prices I can't see affording it any time soon.

Currently looking for :

Atari 8 bit
+ game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
+ Prototype and Demo cartridges
+ manuals and boxes
+ Atari 130XE system, and any system boxes outside of the Atari 400 system.
Check out my Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at:
[url]http://www.a8museum.com[
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length