RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 07:18:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Video Game information 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Video Game information  (Read 1616 times)
NESJunkie
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« on: February 23, 2005, 06:55:03 AM »

I don't know if you will take this into consideration, but when I was listing all my genny games on ebay using turbo lister, i noticed a few things. They have all the info about release dates develeoper and part numbers that some games need in this database. If you want just download the software and take a look at it see if it's something you can use. Just a thought.

I was the 13th member to join this site. My parents were married on Friday the 13th. I was married on the 13th. Feeling lucky?

Here is a link to my profile on VAPS. I am mainly an arcade collector now. http://www.vaps.org/membe...tail.php?member_id=381193
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 12:41:11 PM »

It might be a good thing to verify our data against, but we can't very well just take it all.  It'd be kind of unethical to take that much data, even if it isn't reviews or that kind of thing.  Still, thanks for the info.  It could be useful as an extra resource for data confirmation.

NESJunkie
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 04:38:34 PM »

I kinda ment it to fill in the holes for some games you can't find info on. I just don't get where Ebay itself would have gotten ahold of so much info. It's not like half these companies even exist anymore.

I was the 13th member to join this site. My parents were married on Friday the 13th. I was married on the 13th. Feeling lucky?

Here is a link to my profile on VAPS. I am mainly an arcade collector now. http://www.vaps.org/membe...tail.php?member_id=381193
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 04:43:03 PM »

I'm sure they purchased a database from somebody who had the info compiled.  Sites like the All Music Guide, for instance, have TONS of data.  They will then sell that data to companies like Blockbuster, Suncoast, Media Play, etc.  eBay probably did the same thing, so somebody owns that database.  The people who maintain said database obviously don't own the sole rights to the information, but there is a reason eBay surely pays to use that database....  that being that it takes a lot of time and effort to compile a database with that much information.  I'm sure any of the staff here can tell you all about that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 04:43:50 PM by admin » Logged

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 04:50:36 PM »

I've never heard of these people before, but here's a link to their site:

http://www.muze.com/muze-games.html

They're the ones who provide eBay with their data.  You'll notice a small logo for their company by that game data box on the auction pages.  Also, note that they don't list their prices online.  They're not exactly targeting the average Joe.  They probably mainly sell to large companies, and may base rates on usage.  That's just a guess though.  If you're really interested, you can always e-mail them for a quote.  I doubt it would be in your (or anyone's) price range though.

NESJunkie
Sega 32X

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 02:54:39 PM »

Very interesting stuff, running a business like that has got to take tons of leg work, but I bet they make out pretty good on the other end.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length