RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:47:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest  (Read 36006 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »

October's retro playthrough will be Castlevania II: Simon's Quest for the NES. I know that this game gets a bad rap from some due to the difficulty with the riddles and because some people were initially disappointed that this sequel was not as linear as the first. I've talked to several people over the years about it and there are still a mixed bag of responses. I think that going back, people may find a better appreciation for this game. The game is relatively cheap, usually around $10 or less, and can be found fairly easily. It is also available for download on the Wii. If anyone wants a physical copy, I might be able to work out a deal with my local retro store. Just shoot me a PM.

October is comprised of 5 weeks, and below is how the playthrough will be laid out. Luckily, participants will be able to take advantage of the game's password system in order pick up where they leave off each week. Just be careful that you write the password down correctly  Roll Eyes :

Week 1: Enter Berkeley Mansion and obtain Dracula's Rib
Week 2: Enter Rover Mansion and obtain Dracula's Heart
Week 3: Enter Braham's Mansion and obtain Dracula's Eye
Week 4: Enter Bodley Mansion and obtain Dracula's Nail
Week 5: Enter Laruba Mansion  and obtain Dracula's Ring; head to Ruins of Castlevania and defeat Dracula (no ememies in the final castle, so it's just basically walking to the battle)

I'm going to try out a bit of a different achievement system for my playthrough this time. Each achievement will be worth a specific numerical amount, which I have determined based on difficulty of completion. There is a maximum total of 60 points that can be earned for this playthrough and participant point totals will be updated in this initial thread. The achievements are as follows:

Achievements:
1.   Find the Sacred Flame (2 pts.)
2.   Find the Silver Knife (2 pts.)
3.   Find the Silk Bag (2 pts.)
4.   Find the Diamond (2 pts.)
5.   Obtain the Gold Knife (3 pts.)
6.   Upgrade to the Red Crystal and get "blown away" (2 pts.)
7.   Upgrade to the Flame Whip (2 pts.)
8.   Obtain all items in the game (full inventory) (4 pts.)
9.   Obtain all 5 of Dracula's body parts (5 pts.)
10.  Find all 13 hidden clue books (5 pts.)
11.  Obtain the Magic Cross by defeating the Crying Mask (2 pts.); take no damage during this battle (bonus 3 pts.)
12.  Resurrect and defeat Dracula (5 pts.); take no damage while battling Dracula (bonus 3 pts.)
13.  Get the "best ending" by beating the game in under 8 game days (10 pts.) *requires a photo of the end of game screen and a piece of paper with your handle written on it*
14.  Defeat the original Castlevania (8 pts.) - *requires a photo of the end of game screen and a piece of paper with your handle written on it*

The only two achievements that you need to take pics of are the good ending of Castlevania II and the endscreen for the original Castlevania (should you choose to play it). We will just use the "honor system" for the other achievements.

Good luck gamers!!!

Players and achievement totals:

bombatomba = 37
Crabmaster2000 = 28
Dezorian = 42!!!
douglie007 = 31
Duke.Togo = 31
EngineerMike = 28
Fleach = 0
jansolee66 = 0
noiseredux = 0
RetroRage = 37
russlyman = 0
Shadow Kisuragi = 0
singlebanana = 37
SirPsycho = 0
TheSaintOfPain = 31
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:24:23 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:32:25 PM »

Ewww, such an awful game.

I'd totally play but my NES is packed away at my parents somewhere.

When shall his new form be revealed?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »

It's awful......I would  totally play it. Ha! Come on, it's not THAT bad. Smiley

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:31:01 PM »

Count me in on this one.  I'm actually kinda partial to this game, as it was my introduction to the Castlevania series as a kid.  ...Yeah, yeah, I know. Tongue

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »

Count me in on this one.  I'm actually kinda partial to this game, as it was my introduction to the Castlevania series as a kid.  ...Yeah, yeah, I know. Tongue

Don't be ashamed. Crabby and I were talking the other day and it's our favorite Castlevania title on the NES. We can discuss reasons why during the playthrough. Glad to have you aboard and will add you to the list of participants.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »

I mean I'm kind of with Saint. It was my first Castlevania and I played it and it was OK. But if I hadn't found an old strategy guide at a yard sale I never would have known what the hell to do. It's just a crazy game.

When shall his new form be revealed?
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »

this is awesome, I'll plan to play Castlevania II as well.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

this is awesome, I'll plan to play Castlevania II as well.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 04:17:45 PM »

Decided to go with the 3rd best Castlevania game on the NES? I give it a lot of crap, but I'll probably get in on this one. As long as someone does the right thing and puts Castlevania III on the schedule.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »

Nice Duke. We will certainly consider Castlevania 3 in the future. Castlevania 2 lends itself to a playthrough very well with the password ability, while the original and 3 are more one-sitting games.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »

There's always Super Castlevania IV as well.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:44 PM »

Yes!  Simon may be cursed, but this game has certainly been blessed as THE BEST CASTLEVANIA ON THE NES!  WOOHOO!  And who can forget that classic line:

Oops.  Wrong one:

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 06:31:33 PM »

So can we count you in Sir Psycho and bombatomba?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:33:11 PM by singlebanana » Logged

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »

Put me on the players list. I'll take part in the fun.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »

Nice Duke. We will certainly consider Castlevania 3 in the future. Castlevania 2 lends itself to a playthrough very well with the password ability, while the original and 3 are more one-sitting games.

Castlevania III has a password feature as well...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length