RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:31:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | It's almost October again.....time to talk Horror films 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: It's almost October again.....time to talk Horror films  (Read 54657 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »

I think its about time to start planning some horror movies, and games!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 11:11:21 AM »

I'm not sure why but I'm happy you bumped last year's thread instead of making a new one.

Last I check Frankenstein's Army was on Netflix streaming. Check it out.

Looking forward to my annual screening of Trick R' Treat.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »

Once again, time to break out the all-time scariest one yet.

Actually, I was thinking of diving into the Final Destination series. Judging from the few clips I've seen,  most of the deaths are so over-the-top and implausible, I gotta see just how lulzy the rest of them are.

Check out more ridiculous movie deaths here: http://www.cracked.com/ph...-scenes-in-movie-history/

I remember watching the NASCAR speedway massacre from Final Destination 4 on YouTube, and exclaiming, "OH, COME ON! SERIOUSLY?!" at several points in the scene. Especially the one where a couple gets cut neatly in half by a pressure wave from a nearby explosion.

Rrrriiight...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:25:34 AM by Zagnorch » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 01:37:40 PM »

Nice bump! I love seeing this topic come up every year.

I am once again doing my October film fest at my house (1 film per week) and I'll certainly be running these by you guys. Looks like I have 5 weeks to plan for and only 1 film on the "good to go" list so far. I had a vote off with my friends last year between Argento's "Tenebrae" and "Deep Red." The former was the top vote-getter last year, so I'll be doing "Deep Red" for sure this year. The 30th will be reserved for one of the classic horror titles. I did Steve McQueen's "The Blob" last year and I'm planning on something similar, probably an old Universal film for this year's finale.

I had a suggestion for a film called "The Gate," which I have never seen, but it looks interesting. Looks a little cheesy, but I'm cool with that, since last year's first film was "Chopping Mall." Ha!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 02:33:30 PM »

I'll have to skim through this whole thread later.  Our Halloween movie watching nights have become pretty stale lately.  We've worn out all of our old favorites, and almost every new movie we try to watch turns out to be godawful.  Hopefully I'll pick up a couple of good recommendations from here.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »

I've been marathoning X-Files the past few months so I got that going. I usually do a horror movie a day in October, I still have to decide which ones.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »

You know I never watched the X-Files as a kid but I've been thinking that I need to change that.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2014, 05:24:25 PM »

You know I never watched the X-Files as a kid but I've been thinking that I need to change that.

You can't go wrong with the first few seasons.

I really need to try and organize what movies to watch beforehand.  Last time I spent nearly the whole month old Sci-Fi reruns on Netflix because I couldn't decide what I should watch.  Hmm, maybe there is something there.  Maybe I will focus on Sci-Fi/Horror movies.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2014, 07:51:59 PM »

Ooo good call on the Final Destination movies.
I never saw the final one (or 2?)

They ended up continuing the series after they said they were done.

I can't remember if the box set i have is a trilogy or quadrilogy at the moment...

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2014, 08:40:20 PM »

The first Final Destination was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had at a horror movie.  I was friends with a few guys that worked in a video store when that movie first came out while they were working.  The story is nothing special, but the deaths are pretty amazing.  It's definitely the kind of movie you should watch with a bunch of friends who also haven't seen it.

Aside from that, I've got a number of movies picked out to play depending on who's with me.  I'm going to watch Let The Right One In when it's just my wife and I, and I'm going to try to get her to watch The Others and The Orphanage.  I think I can get her on Nicole Kidman with The Others, but the Orphanage might be tough.

With my daughter, It's going to be Monster Squad, Para Norman and It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.  She's already seen the latter two, but I love all three of those so much.  I would watch any of those on a continuous loop.

When it's just me, the gates are open wide, but I've been on a real Vincent Price kick lately.  I just picked up a bunch of those Midnite Movie DVDs from a thrift and they're all staring Vincent Price.  I'm going to blow through those first, and then do some of the gorier movies I have like Frankenstein's Army and Audition.  Once October is in full swing, I'm going to go where the TV programming takes me.  I've found some movies I absolutely love just watching whatever was on, so I'm hoping to find a few others this year as well.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »

So, here is the list of films I've decided to screen this year:

October 2nd - Slaughter High (1986)
October 9th - The Lost Boys (1987)
October 16th - The Fly (1986)/Ghostbusters (1984) **vote night**
October 23rd - Fright Night (1985)
October 30th - The Mummy (1932)

Very 80's theme and of course ending in a classic.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2014, 12:05:30 AM »

Fright Night and Lost Boys still need to be added to my DVD collection.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2014, 05:43:13 AM »

They both hold up pretty well.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2014, 08:31:35 AM »

I watched You're Next yesterday. It wasn't bad, but I was expecting more after Patrick Klepek compared it to Cabin in the Woods. It's not nearly that "cerebral."

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »

I watched You're Next yesterday. It wasn't bad, but I was expecting more after Patrick Klepek compared it to Cabin in the Woods. It's not nearly that "cerebral."

I heard that this was a good movie, because it was kind of cheesy and self-aware. Another similar home-invasion movie, "The Purge" came out around the same time and I've been really wanting to see that. My wife is not big into super scary, realistic horror films, so I haven't been able to watch it yet. She even held her hands over her face during cheesy-a#@ Slaughter High last Thursday.....  One of my favorite home invasion movies has to be The Strangers and I've always heard that the original "Funny Games" is super creepy and tough to even watch. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length