RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:26:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | I'm now registered for selective services 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I'm now registered for selective services  (Read 3116 times)
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« on: March 15, 2005, 11:08:52 PM »

I felt we needed I new topic so I thought I'd point out that I got tired of waiting for my selective services (the draft) forum to come in the mail so I just registered online.  

Even though I doubt the draft will be reinstated I'm not happy that I'm forced to register.  I think that its they make all men register when they're 18 but not women.  On the site it actually says something like "current US law forbids women for registering"

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 11:15:52 PM »

So what exactly are you registering for if they don't have a draft (militairy service) anymore?
Zimbacca
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 11:26:34 PM »

It's just for in case they reinstate it, otherwise its just nothing.  But you can be arrested for treason if you don't do it.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 04:42:50 AM »

Wow , I remember having to do this so long ago :-[
I remember thinking something like " I better get this done or I will be arrested"  laugh

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 05:03:46 AM »

Don't you have 6 months after turning 18 to do this and after that deadline you can be arrested?

It is pretty stupid IMO.
Just a waste of money and resources for something we don't even use anymore.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 06:31:18 AM »

My fathers in the National guard, so the second I turned 18 he had me filling out my selective services forms.  He doesn't look at it as something stupid the government does to intrude on our lives further, he sees serving in the military as an honor.  I have no strong feelings about it one way or the other.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 07:16:22 AM »

I remember registering. I'm not too worried about a draft being reinstated now. I don't imagine there's much demand for 37 year old soldiers. I will say I was pretty damn nervous the first time we went to war with Iraq.

I'd serve if I had too but it's not on the top of my list of things to do. I work with a guy who was a career soldier and a Korean War vet. He still has close ties to the few remaining men from his division. He always says that if they'd have him he's go off to battle again in a hearbeat. Serving his country is his greatest pride. The guy is in his late 70's and will do anything for anyone. He's a great man.

Zimbacca
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 07:44:29 AM »

My older brother got his the day after he turned 18; I was just waiting until they sent it to me in the mail.  But I just got tired and assumed it wasn't going to come for a while.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 08:39:23 AM »

I was pretty pissed about having to register myself.  Like you, the fact that women don't have to register really makes me unhappy.  After all the equal rights stuff that goes on (which I totally agree with), this still stands here.  Seems like a bit of a dated practice if you ask me.  And, as a conscientious objector, it makes me pretty angry that I have to sign up for this.

Zimbacca
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 08:46:33 AM »

I totally agree.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 09:41:12 AM »

I signed up like everyone else did and never thought about it again. Didn't worry me at all.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 09:44:44 AM »

I got a letter at 18, saying I was in the army. We still have military service officially, but they just don't do anything about it, so that was a formality. We're a small crappy country anyway, wether we have an army or not, they'll invade us anyway in a few days.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 11:08:38 AM »

I'm joining the military then. when we invade the Netherlands I'll drive my tank straight to Arrr's place and take all his video games.

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 09:49:31 PM »

I remember registering. I'm not too worried about a draft being reinstated now. I don't imagine there's much demand for 37 year old soldiers.

after age 25, they can't call you up if the draft is reinstated

it starts with 19 year olds, moves to 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 up to 24 yr 364 day, then returns to 18

so, in the event of a draft, being 18 would mean that you would have a little bit of time before you would actually have to serve

college does not make you exempt anymore either, you can only finish the semester you are in, or the rest of the year if it is your senior year

i guess that 40 minute power point for social psych did teach me something
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:49:49 PM by tholly » Logged

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Zimbacca
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 11:09:25 AM »

If the draft is reinstated, Canada here I come.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length