RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:59:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread  (Read 206635 times)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2014, 01:12:10 PM »

I am surprised nobody brought up Chrono Trigger for a retro. I have never played it myself, and know it is available on at least three different consoles and possibly downloadable too.

I would be down for a SMB run as well, one every ten days is doable and I would be up for the challenge, since I have never beat any of them all the way through. (Warp whistles or not)

Dark Souls would be a good choice for Modern, I think. It was just available for free download on X360, so any of us with that console could join in, and it seems to be very difficult which would give some opportunity for the old fashioned discussions and help that wasn't available before the internet.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »

Just thought I'd mention Illusion of Gaia for the SNES as a retro suggestion.  It's a personal favorite of mine.
I was a bigger fan of it's unofficial predecessor, Soul Blazer, but I think both are great.

I thought about mentioning that one as well.  I've played it a little bit, but I preferred Illusion of Gaia.  I certainly wouldn't mind doing it for a playthrough though.

I am surprised nobody brought up Chrono Trigger for a retro. I have never played it myself, and know it is available on at least three different consoles and possibly downloadable too.

Chrono Trigger is my all time favorite game, so that one has definitely crossed my mind as well.  I neglected to mention it because of the length, but it's probably about the same length as Suikoden, so it could work.  It's been a while since I've played it, so I don't remember exactly how long it is.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »

Again, you guys are getting into the realm of the expensive with Chrono Trigger. It's a great game, but has gotten much pricier as of late.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »

Again, you guys are getting into the realm of the expensive with Chrono Trigger. It's a great game, but has gotten much pricier as of late.

I would have figured most of us already have at least one version of the game. But are all of the options that expensive? I know getting it on the SNES is going to be pricey no matter what, but the FF Chronicles package on the PS1 is cheap, I know it is available in both of my retro game stores nearby used for $20. I can't imagine the DS version being all that much more expensive if someone can find it; and if all else fails, It is also available on Google play, the Apple store, The Nintendo virtual console for the Wii, and Playstation network for PS3, Vita, and PSP for $10.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2014, 02:12:42 PM »

Good point. I really hadn't considered outside options, which I should have.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:16 PM »

FF Chronicles can be had for pretty cheap, but the PS1 port of Chrono Trigger is generally regarded to be the worst version because of the long load times.  Copies of the DS version can usually be had for ~$30 on ebay.  And then of course there are all the digital options.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »

FF Chronicles can be had for pretty cheap, but the PS1 port of Chrono Trigger is generally regarded to be the worst version because of the long load times. 
I own it. At first, I thought it was utterly unplayable. But after an hour or two, you don't even notice it anymore. I think the cut scenes MORE than make up for the load times. The opening movie with that great song (Crono's theme?) is amazing. I watched the whole thing almost every time I started up the game.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »

Coincidentally my Chrono Trigger for the DS just came in today.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2014, 06:08:19 PM »

FF Chronicles can be had for pretty cheap, but the PS1 port of Chrono Trigger is generally regarded to be the worst version because of the long load times. 
I own it. At first, I thought it was utterly unplayable. But after an hour or two, you don't even notice it anymore. I think the cut scenes MORE than make up for the load times. The opening movie with that great song (Crono's theme?) is amazing. I watched the whole thing almost every time I started up the game.

If we did a playthrough, I would be using the PS1 FF chronicles bundle as well. I don't own it for the SNES, and I would rather use the big screen over the DS version I own, load times or not. Smiley.

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2014, 12:55:57 AM »

I'll play through Chrono Trigger for sure Cheesy The load times I can live with but only for CT ha. A Mario Bros month would be kinda awesome too especially if we play SMW.

A game I'll throw out since it's really high on my backlog is Tomb Raider (PS3/PS4)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2014, 02:33:41 AM »

That would make it a week for each SMB game, that would be pretty sweet. SMW I have beaten before and would love to play again. It was the second game I ever conquered. The first being Mega Man 2.

Speaking of Mega Man...ha ha. No...nevermind...Wink

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2014, 07:47:22 AM »

Do you guys want to play Chrono Trigger? There seems to be plenty of interest in the game. Since there are so many options to play it would be a feasible game for a Community Playthrough.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »

I vote yes lol

I love revisiting old RPGs with people that haven't played/beat them and hearing why others enjoyed them in the past
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »

Definitely in for Chrono Trigger.  Like I said, my favorite game of all time.

I'm pretty sure the DS version has the cut scenes, as well as some fairly lackluster extra content.  I only played the PS1 version for a little while several years ago, and I don't really recall the load times being that bad myself, I was just pointing out that that was the general opinion.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #179 on: June 22, 2014, 12:32:02 PM »

YES YES YES for Chrono Trigger!  Sooooo good.  I've been looking for a reason to play this again.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length