RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:39:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread  (Read 206507 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #300 on: November 15, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »

but they're built into the track itself...it's not like a cheat code or something. if there was a special boost that only certain people could pull off with an elaborate button combination, then i might agree, but this is just about choosing a different path down the track. they're part of the game and meant to be used Tongue
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #301 on: November 15, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »

Meant to be used or not, it cheapens the experience when competing for times and creating a level playing field for all, especially first time players. Is it really too much to ask to get people to stay on the full track? Host it and do want you want, but tracks like that will not be included if I host.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #302 on: November 15, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

Damn girls, the claws are coming out!

I'm with Jaime on this one. Saying you can't use any path to victory is like saying you can't use powerups when we do shmup month.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #303 on: November 15, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »

Apples and oranges....

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #304 on: November 15, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »

So pretty much you have to rule out any tracks that have multiple paths right?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #305 on: November 15, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »

No, not necessarily. Some of the tracks for example on the Mario Kart 64 version have multiple paths shown on the track map, but other tracks have hidden/secret areas that you can exploit to cut through and get a major advantage. I see no problem in just picking tracks that don't allow this advantage. Hell, there are tons of tracks to choose from. Seems like you guys are whining about something that's a simple solution to evening out play for newcomers to these games. I'm just trying to offer up an idea to keep it competitive for the month and not frustrate newer players who might give up on playing if they see an outrageous looking finish time.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #306 on: November 15, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »

I have to admit I'm just stirring the pot, but when have we ever worried about newcomers? People finished SOTN within a few days of the playthrough starting. You guys beat Metroid on the first day. The people playing these games are old pros and shmup December will prove that out, watch.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #307 on: November 15, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »

Seeing as we have no way to monitor races and are going with the honour system, I'm with Rich. If we do a racing month it would have to include games without short cuts. Retro games like the Cruisin' series, Super Mario Kart, F-Zero. Or Gran Turismo, Forza, and the like on the modern side.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #308 on: November 15, 2014, 04:15:08 PM »

I have to admit I'm just stirring the pot, but when have we ever worried about newcomers? People finished SOTN within a few days of the playthrough starting. You guys beat Metroid on the first day. The people playing these games are old pros and shmup December will prove that out, watch.

Again, apples and oranges. The examples of games you are giving are games where one just needs to finish them. We are talking about a competition month where participants will be competing for the fastest time. In terms of December, participants will play on the same normal settings and not be allowed to use any codes. That's as even as you can make it and if people who play shmups more win, then so be it, but it will not be because the "field" was not level, it will be a result of skill. Cut-throughs do NOT involve skill. They involve knowledge that others may not have.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »

i'll agree to disagree, but the only thing i want to point out is that Gradius (NES) has at least one bonus room (more than 1 if it's anything like Gradius III) that will give you a huge points bonus. that's an alternate route that only takes knowledge to access, or luck, just like a shortcut in mario kart.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #310 on: November 16, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »

Had no idea, but good to know. I'll point it out to everyone, or ask that participants are honest and not access it.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »

I'm a little undecided on this matter. I think you have to separate short cuts and glitches.

I'd be fine if we allow something like the little shortcut in the Ghost House in Super Mario Kart. The shortcut is clear on the map and is obvious to the driver while racing. It's more of a risk/reward thing.

However...

I'm not in favor of "glitches" like in Mario Kart 64, where some of the short cuts are more like a glitch - like when you have to carefully position yourself at a certain angle or purposely have to fall off the track or other non-racing acts.

If you have stop your car or go in reverse or do something ridiculous in order to perform a short cut, then no.
If it's clear on the map or if there is a shorter, tighter, more difficult path that is obvious, then I say yes.

I think it REALLY depends on which game is choosen.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:24:42 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #312 on: November 18, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »

I'm a little undecided on this matter. I think you have to separate short cuts and glitches.

I'd be fine if we allow something like the little shortcut in the Ghost House in Super Mario Kart. The shortcut is clear on the map and is obvious to the driver while racing. It's more of a risk/reward thing.

However...

I'm not in favor of "glitches" like in Mario Kart 64, where some of the short cuts are more like a glitch - like when you have to carefully position yourself at a certain angle or purposely have to fall off the track or other non-racing acts.

If you have stop your car or go in reverse or do something ridiculous in order to perform a short cut, then no.
If it's clear on the map or if there is a shorter, tighter, more difficult path that is obvious, then I say yes.

I think it REALLY depends on which game is choosen.

i agree completely, the whole time i was under the assumption that we were talking about clear, alternate routes on the track.

this is an example from the Mario Kart 64 track Koopa Troopa Beach. there is a clear jump that leads into a clear path that's slightly difficult (you can miss the jump) but it's a simple alternate route, not a glitch. This should be allowed in my opinion, because it's essentially just choosing between left and right, there isn't much "knowledge" required for it.

http://cdn.wikimg.net/str...ach_mushroom_shortcut.jpg

an example of a glitch would be on Mario Kart 64 Rainbow Road, where you jump left off the first steep downhill and if you aim it right you can land on a later part of the course roughly 1/3 of the way through the race. this would be cheating in my opinion because it's not an alternate route, but exploiting a flaw in the game design.

Rich if you were arguing against the first example then i strongly disagree, but if you were arguing against the second (glitch) example then i would agree with you completely.
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #313 on: November 26, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »

Been awhile since I said it: Ys

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #314 on: November 26, 2014, 08:44:17 PM »

Been awhile since I said it: Ys

Which one(s)?

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length