RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 07:49:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37 Print
Author Topic: Community Playthrough Suggestion Thread  (Read 208558 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2014, 08:57:48 AM »

I'm just browsing the Steam Sale. Half Life 2 is at a great price right now. Is anyone interested in playing that at some point?

I just purchased it on XBox recently. The Cartridge Bros. actually played it this month as their playthrough.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #331 on: January 02, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »

This is complicated because the game you're talking about has so many different versions.It was on Master System, then was also put on a compilation (Ys I & II) which got remade and "enhanced" several times.

If I'm thinking of the right game I have it on Steam. But that version is the remake of the Turbo Grafx game.

EDIT

All the iterations of the game are beatable in 5-7 hours. I'll include this one because it's available on so many platforms and discussing differences between releases will be interesting.

I wouldn't think it would be too challenging to play it on different platforms, as the story, enemies and overall map layouts should still be the same? Just a difference in visuals. I suggested the first Ys game, because it was on the master system, but has also been ported and remade a bunch of times on other systems. Ideally, I would like to do Ys I and II together, but I think that would limit it for too many.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #332 on: January 04, 2015, 07:07:07 PM »

Ys 1 and 2 can be beaten in about 15 so it's not totally impossible. I'm going to research the differences between all the versions.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #333 on: January 05, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »

Lots of recommendations for The Wolf Among Us in many of the Best Of 2014 lists. I wouldn't mind adding this to our ongoing list and get others opinions on playing it.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #334 on: January 05, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »

Lots of recommendations for The Wolf Among Us in many of the Best Of 2014 lists. I wouldn't mind adding this to our ongoing list and get others opinions on playing it.

That's a host's dream right there. Pretty much breezy, no fail gameplay and opens up a good discussion of everyone's choices and outcomes.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #335 on: January 05, 2015, 09:13:19 AM »

I just picked up a copy of this not long ago and would definitely like to play it soon.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #336 on: January 05, 2015, 09:16:34 AM »

I'll play it again. My initial playthrough had a Clint Eastwood style Wolf. If we play it on RF I'll go for different outcomes.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #337 on: January 05, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »

I'll play it again. My initial playthrough had a Clint Eastwood style Wolf. If we play it on RF I'll go for different outcomes.

My wife is currently playing the game with me. This means that I am working the controls while she makes the heavy majority of the decisions. What can I say? Sometimes she's a little slow. Smiley  But basically, my Bigby is a big softy....until I crack a statue across yo damn face!

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #338 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:15 AM »

How does it feel to have a modern console, you crazy old coot?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #339 on: January 05, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »

How does it feel to have a modern console, you crazy old coot?

Well doggies! It doesn't quite match the experience I had when I graphically went from the 2600 to the NES (and probably nothing ever will), but it's pretty close. The characters are definitely more life-like and the modern systems are much more capable of aggrandizing storytelling as a whole. With "Wolf," it's like watching an episode of a TV show, and I think this works well in keeping both my wife and I interested. Even DuckTales: Remastered was an entirely different experience storywise and I was super impressed with how they held on to all the important elements of the original and integrated a tight story where there was once relatively randoms stages and boss battles.

With that said, I am enjoying my experience thoroughly, but there is still something about the lack of story in more retro titles that very much still appeals to me. I guess I'm a pretty imaginative individual and growing up playing old games and basically as an only child with no neighbors for 13 years kind of fueled this characteristic in me. My challenge will be finding stories like Wolf, and as I've heard Hard Rain, that keep me creative and don't spell everything out for me. I just don't to ever feel that I am just watching a movie game.

So far so good! Well butter my biscuits!   

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #340 on: January 05, 2015, 01:44:08 PM »

I also started Wolf Among Us last week. Didn't make it far, but I love the "choose-your-own-adventure" style of games, that Telltale makes. Wish they would do more games like Walking Dead and WAU, that are based off adult-reader graphic novels. Two titles that I would love Telltale to adapt, is: Lucifer and Preacher.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2015, 02:43:59 AM »

you should definitely give Super Stardust HD a try if you just want to blow stuff up arcade style, no storyline included.
MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2015, 12:31:57 PM »

This is complicated because the game you're talking about has so many different versions.It was on Master System, then was also put on a compilation (Ys I & II) which got remade and "enhanced" several times.

If I'm thinking of the right game I have it on Steam. But that version is the remake of the Turbo Grafx game.

EDIT

All the iterations of the game are beatable in 5-7 hours. I'll include this one because it's available on so many platforms and discussing differences between releases will be interesting.

I wouldn't think it would be too challenging to play it on different platforms, as the story, enemies and overall map layouts should still be the same? Just a difference in visuals. I suggested the first Ys game, because it was on the master system, but has also been ported and remade a bunch of times on other systems. Ideally, I would like to do Ys I and II together, but I think that would limit it for too many.

I've been told that, aside from the TG-CD version, which some consider definitive, the Steam/PC version and the nearly identical PSP version (which I have) are likely the definitive versions in a more modern setting.  I'd be good for a go on those, since I bought the UMD over a year ago and haven't touched them Tongue

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »

I have played the PSP versions. They are awesome.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »

so this is a kinda silly request.  when a play through is announced, can you make the name of the game link to the database Smiley then its easier to click and see if we already have the game or not Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 37 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length