RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:00:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 20 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 20  (Read 15346 times)
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »

We should remove this rule from the drinking game

"4. Every time Bil goes on a non-video game tangent - take a shot"

I don't want anyone to get alcohol poisoning.

bearmetal
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »

You don't know how expensive CIB collections for Atari 2600 get... Roll Eyes
The lower tiers are cheap, but you start hitting the ceiling for prices quickly once you get to R5 and higher.

Guess I needed to take a closer look at prices! I know a few got way up there, but it still seems cheaper than going CIB for the NES or SNES. Thats why I added the (er) at the end of "cheap" Wink.

Also, Wildbil... play Infinite Undiscovery. Love the story, love the game play. I actually started playing through it again because I thought it was so awesome. Title is ridiculous but game is awesome.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:21:29 AM by bearmetal » Logged
bearmetal
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 11:19:06 AM »

We should remove this rule from the drinking game

"4. Every time Bil goes on a non-video game tangent - take a shot"

I don't want anyone to get alcohol poisoning.

Speaking of alcohol... That bourbon ale you found, love bourbon ales. There is one that I buy at the store all the time called Kentucky Bourbon Barrel. That stuff is delicious!
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »

Wow. No love for Atari Jr. I guess one had to receive it as an Xmas gift when it was at retail and had it become their first console, to feel any love for it. 

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »

Wow. No love for Atari Jr. I guess one had to receive it as an Xmas gift when it was at retail and had it become their first console, to feel any love for it. 

I think there is love for it, I just think that the classic woodgrain finish of the originals is more aesthetically pleasing to the collector or nostalgia prone individual (like me). The Jr. came out around the crash and just before the NES. It being the last 2600 model released, and its similarity to the 7800, unfortunately kind of mark the end of the era. Kind of the blood in the water via other outside factors. With that said, I still do not have one in my collection and would love to own one some day to display on my Atari shelf.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »

More rules for drinking game

Any time Bill says yeeep.
That was my first thought as well.
Also, a shot for each second it takes someone to say TheGruuuuuee.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »

RFGen Drinking Game Rules:
1. If the episode is over 5 hours long - take a starter shot
2. Every time someone mentions disdain for the 32X - take a shot
3. Every time Crabby groans about Super Metroid - take a shot
4. Every time Bil goes on a non-video game tangent - take a shot
5. Every time Duke's NES fanboyism rears its loopy head - take a shot
6. When Banana gets made fun of for spelling errors - take a shot
Small Scores Lightning Round
- When someone scores a NES game take a shot

We'd all probably have alcohol poisoning within an hour just because of Rules 4 and 5.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »

No Silent Service rule in the drinking game?  I figured that would be a shoe -in.  That and every time Bill says "foreshadowing"

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 06:07:37 PM »

How about shot for every time Duke gets violently indignant almost to the point of a nervous breakdown when someone mispronounces a game title, calls the Super Nintendo a "sness," or does something else to set him off. You know, a "Screaming Indianian moment," to paraphrase Bil. Like when Nanners pronounced my Ys SNES (that's ess-en-eee-ess, BTW) pickup as "wyes" instead of "ees" right after the 2-hour-51-minute mark. Better be careful what you say around the guy; he is armed after all.

[img width=700 height=698]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/IMG_1569_zps44abc481.jpg[/img]
A cap in your ass is the right of all sentient beings.

BTW I never bought a copy of the 8-Bit Christmas 2013 NES homebrew. How did you come to the conclusion that I did?
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »

Because SingleBanana found himself slipping all over the racetrack.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »

BTW I never bought a copy of the 8-Bit Christmas 2013 NES homebrew. How did you come to the conclusion that I did?

Blame the new guy who wrote out the scores. Wink

Getting a little indignant keeps the energy up. It gets people talking. See, it already worked.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »

At the moment I still have the last half hour or so to listen to.....

Over the past few years I've gotten the chance to listen to and meet several of the old Atari people. Programmers, employees and such. All most always they refer to it as the "VCS." On the odd occasion I've heard them say "2600" it's along the lines of, "What was it you kids called it? The 2600 or something like that?" If memory serves (because googling it would take too much effort) VCS, Video Computer System, was the original name for it. When Atari started selling other home consoles the marketing people wanted to make some connections between them, they started using the VCS' part number, 2600.

I have a couple of the things you guys were talking about so I'm using this as show and tell:

[img width=700 height=525]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7342/12394175224_2ed4af7132_o.jpg[/img]

While listening, I thought for sure my wireless 2600 controllers were like Duke was describing, turns out I have the Bil version. The receiver has the collapsible antenna though:

[img width=700 height=525]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3830/12394176374_944cfde60c_o.jpg[/img]

It looks like you would plug in the power supply into the receiver then the receivers built in wire would power the console. The controllers take one 9 volt battery each.

I never think to look at this site while I'm sitting at a computer but you guys were talking about the Sears Wishbook:

http://192.185.93.157/~wishbook/

It has scans of all the wishbooks....I think. I still need to look at it myself. When I was a kid, we always got them for free. They just came in the mail. But, I do think you could buy them as well. Maybe they were free some years, back when Sears was doing well, and cost money other years? Maybe we got them for free because we bought things out of them and they just sent them to customers?

I'm a bit reluctant to tell my wife that the Luigi was brought up in the show. She did make it from scratch. When it was called "creepy" in the forums she got that sad pouty look. She's happy with it and I don't think it looks that bad in real life. She likes to draw manga style art sometimes so I think there is a bit of that style she threw in there.

Glad to hear those C64 carts get talked about so much. I actually got those to send them on to someone else, I already had my own Fast Load cart  Grin   
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »

Those joysticks are just such monsters; I can't believe I ever used them. Someone is getting lucky with the Fast Load cart, as it really is a near necessity.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 01:06:16 AM »

Awesome! Another Atari Jr. The first ever console I received for Christmas when I was 6. We already had the Intellivision but my brother broke it. We also had a PONG set from Sears growing up, so I have been gaming right from the First generation of consoles. I also loved playing Kaboom! with those paddles.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 09:44:50 AM »

Great info nupoile. It's neat to get a little perspective on the history of the name. In the interview, I was speaking from my personal experience with the name. I had never heard the term "VCS" growing up and it wasn't until a few years ago that I happen to stumble upon what that acronym meant (I kind of put it together when looking at one of my consoles). I probably started playing the 2600 in 1980-1981 and at that time people just called it the "Atari," because it was really the only home console out by them at the time and the name was familiar enough in arcades. It's interesting, because I'm sure that there were also differences in what the system was called regionally as well. I remember calling it the 2600 only after the 5200 was released to differentiate the two systems. Wish they had started calling it this before my parents bought that 5200 for me for Christmas. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length