RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:02:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Sega Video Driver 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sega Video Driver  (Read 1410 times)
twitami
N-Gage

Stats
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:26:42 AM »

This is not in the database, and I have one Smiley

http://segaretro.org/Video_Driver
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »

I'm hesitant to suggest adding it as a new system since there was one known tape for it (bundled with the system) and a second with next to no info that may have been the same thing but renamed for another region/country.

I'd suggest adding it under Betamax/VHS.

Definitely curious what others think though before you do that.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:09:29 PM »

My vote is Betamax/VHS. It's very similar to the Captain Power series.

twitami
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:55:19 PM »

From a "I am a collector" standpoint, this should be listed as a system. It WAS a game system, with its own games. The fact that only two games were ever made does not matter. The Action Maxx is listed as a system, I think, and is the same sort of thing.

I don't quite understand some of the logic behind NOT listing things. If someone collects it, and it is an electronic toy that was or was very close to a video game, why not include it? After all, this group of people would be the ones that collect that sort of thing anyway.

Not trying to be a jerk or ruffle feathers or anything, but I am trying to catalog ALL of my collection, or at least as much as I can. I have a massive collection, so just trying to find a way to list it all in one place.

If worse comes to worse, is there a "personal list" or maybe "memo" section where we could list our own things that are not in the database but would show as our collection? Just a thought.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »

I collect anime and video game VHS tapes, and many of our members collect action figures...

There are other things we could be cataloging as well, like Strategy Guides and Arcade PCBs. We have to draw a line somewhere, as we have a very limited amount of staff to maintain a database of 70,000+ entries. If we don't draw this line, it means the overall quality of the database will diminish as we spread our resources even thinner. At any given point, we typically have 3-5 staff members adding significant numbers to the database per month on a volunteer basis. I could spend 2 years working on the site as a day job and still not have it close to complete with our current systems.

With all of that being said - we could ask the resident experts that run VGCL what their opinion is:
http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/

Terry and the crew essentially helped set up our database for consoles, and they would have a better idea as to whether or not this would qualify as a console.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:27 PM »

I have one of these CIB, but I wouldn't call it a system. Listing under VHS makes sense to me. Honestly, I would never have even thought to add it to my collection here.

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:29:49 PM »

My vote is Betamax/VHS. It's very similar to the Captain Power series.

Funnily enough, we used to have the Captain Power stuff in the DB. I'm not sure why we had them in the first place considering they were interactive toys and not actual games.

KidA
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 02:39:02 AM »

Not trying to offend, but I think twitami wants all these obscure things added to justify his purchasing of them.  Being an electronic toy, and having an interchangable medium does not automatically deem something a system.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »

Worth noting
"Miyamoto - And when you do that, selling 100,000 is just a start. But if you think of it as just a fun toy, it's a big success if you break just 50,000. If sales generated some buzz, and crossed 100,000, then 200,000, then 500,000—quite a good pattern. Viewed like that, Virtual Boy was, I think, quite an appealing toy. To people who viewed it like that, I think that is still an appealing product. But if you place it front and center and think about the licensing business…

Iwata - In other words, if you think of it as a gaming platform.

Miyamoto - Right. When you think of it as a gaming platform, it becomes a failure. "

http://iwataasks.nintendo...how-nintendo-3ds-made/0/1

Views on an electronic toy vs a console are subjective.

Simon, Lights Out and Light Wars(which is totally not a puzzle game i own/played it quite a bit when i got it) are all in the DB. Do they get a free pass because they have blinking LEDs?
Same could be said for early handhelds. They are just tiny blinking light bulbs with buttons.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length