RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | submission: Redux: Dark Matters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: submission: Redux: Dark Matters  (Read 1706 times)
ae.tc
Technician
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« on: April 17, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »

Your submission for Redux: Dark Matters was rejected for the following reason:
The arcade stick is largely functionally the same as a regular Dreamcast controller so no need to add it to the control scheme field
If you feel that your submission was rejected in error, please create a new thread in the Announcements and Feedback forum: http://www.rfgeneration.c...forum/index.php?board=5.0

Re: arcade stick; the usefulness in the 'control scheme' field is to identify those titles which the developer made an effort to support. redux was programmed with the arcade stick functionality as an important aspect of the game, additionally the experience is quite a different one with the regular controller making use of the analog trigger by default. even as shmup titles were so prevalent on the arcade platform, Hucast made sure that the arcade stick was fully supported, and does give quite a different (effectively increasing the difficultly) gameplay experience.

• Sega Mega-Tech • SNK MVS • Sega Naomi 2 • Kaneko AX • Taito F3 ••
ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 03:26:40 AM »

From the submission guidelines:

Unless the game requires a specialized controller, always use Standard Controller as your entry here.

Those games don't actually require the arcade stick and are still playable with a regular controller, hence why they just have "Standard Controller" as the entry.

ae.tc
Technician
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 05:52:49 AM »

info much appreciated, albeit unfortunately the guidelines are either obsolete (for dreamcast), or at the very least do not take into account the importance of a 'control scheme' field; i would suggest the actual usefulness of this database (providing accurate, relevant information) to take precedence here,. otherwise a staggering amount of arcade games on the DC which have programming for the arcade stick (but do not require it) would now have misinformation ..

• J-071-S-02160-A
  • E-071-S-02500-C
  • U-071-S-00240-A
  • U-071-S-02250-A
  • J-071-S-02710-A
  • U-071-S-02760-A
  • J-071-S-00190-A
  • J-071-S-01820-A
  • J-071-S-00710-A
  • J-071-S-00120-A
  • J-071-S-00860-A
  • U-071-S-00410-A
  • J-071-S-02120-A
  • U-071-S-00650-A
  • J-071-S-00910-A
  • J-071-S-00540-A
  • E-071-S-01330-A

etc...

Those games don't actually require the arcade stick and are still playable with a regular controller, hence why they just have "Standard Controller" as the entry.

well, simple enough; if a particular title required the arcade stick, then "standard controller" would not be listed.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:19:03 AM »

...I don't agree with those guidelines. ANY game is supposed to work with a Standard Controller - heck, Dance Dance Revolution and beatmania work with the standard controllers. It doesn't mean they don't explicitly support other controllers. I'm pretty sure we don't put Standard Controller for everything PC since everything PC uses a Keyboard and/or Mouse. Instead, everything should be Standard Controller by default, and add controllers that have been explicitly supported by the game (in this case, the Arcade Stick).

Choro Q Jet: Rainbow Wings here supports the PlayStation Analog Joystick, as well as a Dual Analog Controller. This is the EXPLICIT support that I'm mentioning, at the bottom of the image:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:22:33 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:59:01 AM »

Put the sticks in the game trivia section.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »

If a game requires a specific kind of controller wouldn't that make it the standard controller for that game?

I think Apollo just doesn't want to see the field filled with every kind of controller format that could be supported.
Crazy Taxi on DC is way easier with the fishing controller. I don't think that should be in the Control Scheme format though.

Shadow wants it to be more specific than Standard Controller. Because 99.9% of games can use the "standard controller". Also wouldn't a standard controller depend on the game in question? If a music game uses a guitar/drum/mic/etc wouldn't the bundled accessory then be considered that games standard controller and not what we may have deemed as a "standard controller".

And since he mentioned playstation i think that deserves even more though. Technically standard controller has no sticks but there are many games that supported dual stick and resident evil even got a rerelease specifically for it.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:43:35 PM »

Specifically, I'm talking about "Control Scheme" being filled out for controllers that are specifically supported. Not this "Dynasty Warriors 4 works with the Dance Dance Revolution pad" just because the mapping is the same - SPECIFIC CONTROLLER SUPPORT FOR THE GAME. PlayStation does a good job of calling this out, but there will likely be cases where this support needs to be known from playing the game.

ae.tc
Technician
DB Contributor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »

many thanks for the prompt feedback,

... everything should be Standard Controller by default, and add controllers that have been explicitly supported by the game (in this case, the Arcade Stick). This is the EXPLICIT support that I'm mentioning, at the bottom of the image:

good call kisuragi, looks like we agree here,. an except from my scan of redux: dark matters

... I think Apollo just doesn't want to see the field filled with every kind of controller format that could be supported. ...

well, yes of course, only want to include this feature on titles which do explicitly support it.

Specifically, I'm talking about "Control Scheme" being filled out for controllers that are specifically supported.

..exactly

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length