RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 05:38:38 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | The Thinktank | Karma System 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Karma System  (Read 5807 times)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: April 30, 2014, 06:55:23 AM »

Please guys, the Karma thing sucked the first time around and I really feel it goes against the philosophy of the site and community. I was really happy when it was removed and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

There is no reason for it except for anonymous passive-aggressive put downs.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »

Tell ya what... I'll see about writing up a custom mod for positive Karma only. The negative Karma thing has somewhat backfired the past couple years, and our version of SMF doesn't support + only - just Off, +/-, and Total.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:44:08 AM »

I hate the karma also but it isnt for that long. Shadow if you are going to spend time on the site do something useful.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:59:40 AM »

I remember it being wildly successful the first time around.

You must mean it has gone down hill in recent years.
(Specifically the years where i have ended up with negative karma Tongue)

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

Something useful being talking with Grue last night about what we wanted to tackle first, and how to do it? We still have to decide on what we want to use to reform the foundation for the site, which will take a little time, and then we need to discuss what to change/update. In the interim, I'm doing small fixes right now and getting a sandbox/tech stack up and running to allow us to make these changes.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »

Something useful being talking with Grue last night about what we wanted to tackle first, and how to do it? We still have to decide on what we want to use to reform the foundation for the site, which will take a little time, and then we need to discuss what to change/update. In the interim, I'm doing small fixes right now and getting a sandbox/tech stack up and running to allow us to make these changes.

Are you high on pain meds for your back?
I honestly cannot decipher what you are trying to say here....

EDIT
You talked with Grue yesterday. You guys don't know what to do yet. Build new site structure or try to salvage existing. In the mean time use more bandaids on the site.
I think it the gist of it...

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »

Reminds me... I need to take some anti-inflammatories. Thanks!

Essentially, we're trying to decide on a more modern infrastructure to futureproof the site. We have similar thoughts, but different methods of arriving at the destination. We come from different backgrounds - I'm more grounded in traditional, old-school development while Grue works with more modern development principles. We just need to sit down and come up with something that we feel will benefit the site, while also allowing us to update it in parts. We're definitely taking into account our traditional desktop support, along with tablet, mobile and other device support.

The site will be left with a much more modern feel and work with just about any device, but in order to do so we need an environment where our changes won't break the site - hence the sandbox. "Tech stack" is just a different method that would allow us to make changes on the production environment and enable/disable them rather than relegate them to a completely different server, but there are limitations to both.

In any case, back on topic... do people really feel that we should just turn off Karma? It's just meant to be a silly thing to encourage participation, and for friend circles to screw each other over with (Izret). I will admit that, in the past couple years, there have been incidents where negative Karma has exposed some personal problems, but those likely existed without the Karma. Also, in the end, I typically fix your Karma Izret.  nod
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:18:09 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »

I just remember the last time we had it turned on I was constantly thinking to myself "Why the hell does so-and-so have -12 karma? Seems like a cool guy..." It just breeds this weird, ambiguous negativity which as I mentioned above does not fit in with the overall culture of the site.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »

Would you like to see positive Karma stick around, perhaps even after the event?

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »

Would you like to see positive Karma stick around, perhaps even after the event?

I'm sure I'm not the only voice here, but I would be neutral on it. At least there wouldn't be negatives.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 11:54:44 AM »

I like the "karma" structure gametz uses. Each post gets rated and shows how may upvotes and down votes.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

Karma's based on profile in SMF, not individual posts. Cry

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »

I smite Izret whenever I can......because he is Izret...........ok I dont really do that.

I am surprised I ma not in the negative Karma range yet.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »

Karma's based on profile in SMF, not individual posts. Cry

Even theirs is still flawed. Any rating system you are not necessarily going to see votes based on the content of the post but an individual users feelings towards that poster.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »

I know. However, after a period of time, the novelty of doing it for stupid reasons goes away.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length