RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:29:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre & Subgenre Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Print
Author Topic: Genre & Subgenre Guide  (Read 103395 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2015, 11:39:38 PM »

Any suggestion on better terminology?

I agree with you but Classic Shooters vs Modern Shooters seems too wordy for a genre...
OR DOES IT!?!?!?

EDIT
Yeah i guess it still wouldn't be great.
Things like Duke Nukem and Wolfenstien in Modern vs something like Otomodious Excellent in Classic would probably increase confusion from an outsider looking in(or new user) perspective.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:42:52 PM by Izret101 » Logged

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2015, 11:44:30 PM »

I feel ya. But I couldn't think of any other naming convention that makes sense. If anyone has better names then go ahead. We also have the option of just leaving the whole genre by itself. Problems tend to rise up when you take what was originally a subgenre of Action and make it its own thing.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2015, 11:47:40 PM »

I agree with you but Classic Shooters vs Modern Shooters seems too wordy for a genre...
Things like Duke Nukem and Wolfenstien in Modern vs something like Otomodious Excellent in Classic would probably increase confusion from an outsider looking in(or new user) perspective.

Yeah, classic and modern is a bad idea because games aren't just new and old, it's a whole spectrum. Same thing goes for "Arcade" as a subgenre. There are things like DDR, Hydro Thunder etc. that are arcade games.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2015, 11:51:43 PM »

No i certainly like the division.

Asteroids, Missile Command, Gradius, Rtype are all shooters
Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield, Borderlands are all shooters

The definition of Shooters is just SO broad.
I think you've done a great job splitting "classic" style versus "modern" style

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #199 on: February 20, 2015, 11:33:40 PM »

Ok, so it seems the changes sat well with most. Can we proceed and have the "Adventure", "Action" and "Shoot 'Em Up" genres created so sorting can begin?
Also: Action/Adventure renamed to "Action Adventure" for better clarity.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:21:04 AM by Flee » Logged
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2015, 03:20:17 AM »

Note to Shadow: When this goes down, just make three new Genres ("Action Adventure", "Action", "Adventure") instead of making two and renaming one. This will help greatly because that way we can just sort and completely empty out "Action/Adventure". Also this is going to take forever so don't bother making "Shoot 'Em Up" yet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:22:17 AM by Flee » Logged
Shepy
Atari 7800
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2015, 11:37:50 PM »

Bump. This was a good idea.
Shepy
Atari 7800
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2015, 12:42:36 AM »

How would you classify Clu Clu Land?
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #203 on: December 13, 2015, 01:44:38 AM »

How would you classify Clu Clu Land?
The internet is telling me it's primarily a Puzzle game so that's the Genre. It's definitely an Action Puzzle game by looking at gameplay. That would be the subgenre.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »

make three new Genres ("Action-Adventure", "Action", "Adventure") instead of making two and renaming one. This will help greatly because that way we can just sort and completely empty out "Action/Adventure".

Still waiting on this and the Shoot 'Em Up genre. :^)
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2018, 09:23:29 AM »

Any suggestion on better terminology?

OR DOES IT!?!?!?

EDIT

Or get more specific, i.e. First-Person Shooter (Wolfenstein), Scrolling Shooter (Gradius), Third-Person Shooter (Gears of War).  Perhaps those could be the sub-genre, with "Shooter" being the primary genre.  It'd be nice to be able to search the database with that level of specificity.  I would love to be able to pull out all of the shmups and have a master list to help me with my collection efforts for that particular type of game.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2018, 01:17:39 PM »

Or get more specific, i.e. First-Person Shooter (Wolfenstein), Scrolling Shooter (Gradius), Third-Person Shooter (Gears of War).  Perhaps those could be the sub-genre, with "Shooter" being the primary genre. 
That’s what the database is currently like. Except classic shooters are also lumped into the genre. That’s what is going to be alleviated by making a separate Shoot em Up genre for more arcadey games.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »

Ugh. I hate the term shoot 'em up. Now that I have that out of my system - carry on.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2018, 01:29:12 AM »

"Classic Shooter" and "Shooter" might be better naming options now that I think about it.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2018, 01:51:02 AM »

Also, I'd advocate for segmenting Act/Adv even more. Action is such a large genre and we already have subgenres of it like Rythm and shooter as genres. Why not go for broke?

I think making Platformer and Survival Horror genres would be a good choice. Thoughts?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length