RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:57:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Collecting while abroad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Collecting while abroad?  (Read 1600 times)
Mune
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: May 13, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »

I'll be in Japan over the next two weeks and need advice on how I should approach it. Mainly, would I be better off purchasing just games while there and importing systems later? Or would it be worth my while to get a few systems while there?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:46:34 PM by Mune » Logged
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:15:42 PM »

A lot of it would have to do with the amount that you can carry back with you on the plane. Games have the advantage of fitting in every nook and cranny, while systems require more space. You could of course always just ship your items back to yourself before you leave.

If it were me I would be open to what you find at a reasonable price. Fantastic deals may warrant a little extra to ship them back.

GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »

I agree with duke! Also have a great trip! Id love to go to japan someday to ship tons back to myself ;-)

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
Mune
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 04:05:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies, Duke.Togo and GamerNick! Your advice should help me with some of my decision making. Be back in a few weeks with a damage report. Smiley
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 07:34:49 AM »

I think a lot of it would depend on what you are allotted by your airline in terms of baggage. I've seen $150 per bag over one from some airlines, so that probably would not justify the cost of the games/systems. You might come out better picking up stuff and shipping it to yourself. However, some airlines (Southwest maybe?) allow a few bags and do not charge extra. If this is the case, buy a cheap bag (maybe from a street vendor/market) while you are over there and fill it up to check in or carry on if your more comfortable with that. If you carry on, just make sure it fits the size requirements.
I was in Hong Kong a few years ago and wasn't really collecting imported games at that time. It makes me sad to think about what I might have missed. Good luck!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 07:57:18 AM »

I don't know what the rates shipping from Japan to US are but i know shipping from US to japan it generally costs 90-120$s to ship a 15-20lb box to my cousin.

The added benefit of shipping stuff back though is tracking(i think Japan offers it anyways). If you have a duffel bag filled to the brim with imports and the airlines decide to lose it you are SOL

Also another tip. Leave all non-essentials behind. When you come back leave some or all of your clothes, toiletries, etc there. You can always grab another shirt or jeans at the store when you get home Wink Stuff your carry on with goodies from your trip.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 09:39:41 AM »

When I was in Paris, I went to a place called Maxi Games. That place was incredible. It was like a video game museum. I don't know what their prices are like right now but when I went, they were very reasonable, unlike a lot of the stores here in the United States. They actually had a lot of NTSC stuff, although at least 75% of their stock was PAL and French.

My biggest regret was putting the games in my backpack because the boxes got bent up pretty bad. I would recommend buying hard cases for anything you plan on buying, or even just the small flat rate USPS mailers. When your games get thrown around in baggage claims, they are going to get really roughed up unless they're protected.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length