RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:18:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Sony all but gives up on the Vita 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sony all but gives up on the Vita  (Read 1831 times)
Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »

Unlike what Nintendo did with the 3DS on 2011. It appears Sony is perfectly fine with all but abandoning the system to the barely there 3rd Parties/indies. Even positioning it as a $200 controller/accessery to the PS4.

http://www.polygon.com/20...itas-focus-moving-forward

Why don't Sony take what Nintendo did and apply it?

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:39:31 PM »

I don't think Sony can. The Vita is an incredibly powerful piece of hardware for a handheld. If Sony spent more time with it they would be trying to develop hi-def games for a young PS4 that has eaten a lot of cash in R&D and manufacturing, as well as near PS3 quality for the Vita. That would get expensive very quickly. They're still supporting the PS3 for the near future as well. For now they're focusing on immediate opportunities. PS4 is riding a wave of post-launch popularity and still selling well, and PS3 still has a high install base, while Vita's audience is tiny in comparison.

They did something similar with the PSP, almost stopping first party support for it. Then it really got popular in Japan because of a string of killer apps from third parties. If I bought a Vita and 3 games tomorrow all 3 of those games would come from a third party.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »

Sony doesn't have the sheer marketing might of Mario/Zelda/Smash Bros, etc. to match Nintendo's immense efforts.  To be fair for Sony, Nintendo finally felt their backs against the wall with the less-than-successful launch of the WiiU, and to Nintendo's credit, they seem to be taking a no-holds-barred approach to game development for the next year or so.  Like SirPsycho said, the PS4 has momentum NOW, and Sony needs to take full advantage of it if they want to stay ahead of Microsoft.

Sega2099
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:34:29 PM »

I'm looking for Nintendo to give up on the Wii U soon honestly...

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »

I'm looking for Nintendo to give up on the Wii U soon honestly...

Mario Kart 8 is selling systems like hotcakes, and the hype train is just getting started for the system. Its currently outselling the Xbox One last time I checked.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Sega2099
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »

Wow that's actually surprising.

Mario and the bunch definitely keep things going for Nintendo. I love Nintendo stuff but all my friends play Xbox

I like Xbox as well so I guess I'll be getting an Xbox One as soon as I can since my 360 fried the other day.

calistarwind
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »

I don't own a Vita just yet but have certainly bought my fair share of RPG's. As soon as I get the money, I am going to buy one simply for games like the new Tales of and Mind Zero.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:50:46 AM »

Lots of stuff coming for the Vita:

http://www.neogaf.com/for...m/showthread.php?t=858508

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »

a lot of those look really interesting, i really need to play more Vita
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:05:33 PM »

A lot of those games I'm planning to get on PC.

Arkanoid_Katamari
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:29 AM »

I do plan to get a Vita cuz I love the PSP, and I wanna play Tearaway, which looks phenomenal.
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 09:51:30 AM »

I think E3 was confirmation that Sony doesn't plan on giving a whole lot of support to the Vita.  We likely won't be seeing any AAA titles coming to the Vita, but fortunately there are plenty of niche Japanese titles still on the way, which is really the only type of game I want on my handhelds anyway.  I have preorders locked in for several upcoming Vita games, and that's on top of all the games I already own that I haven't played, so I'm certainly not lacking games to play for it.  Now I just need to find time to play the damn thing.  I also wish Square would release Final Fantasy Type-0 for the Vita....

And if you're a Vita owner, JRPG lover, and haven't played Persona 4 Golden yet, play it!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length